Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Ribble CGR pro vs Lynskey pro gr

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 10:19 AM
kanonengedonner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I am pulling the trigger on a Titanium gravel (5k max) and I narrowed it down to Ribble and Lynskey. I am open for different configurations and I am not even sure I need Di2. But in any case, this would be my fun bike/gravel bike/social riding bike where I'll have 2 wheel sets for heavy road or heavy gravel.

I am hesitating a lot:
-The Ribble in its rendered pictures looks way better, sexier and cuter than the Lynskey. It has nice welds, the finish looks better and it has rubber grommets for the cable entry and exits. I can't find other good pictures online. AND I know nothing about Ribble. Shipping is just before Christmas.
-The Lynskey looks kinda rougher, it has internal welded tubes to guide cables, it is slightly more expensive. I can't find good pictures with their 4 finish variations, but the biggest plus is that they have lifetime frame warranty, and their lead-out is 6 weeks only..

The dimensions are not much different other than the dropped seat stays for the Ribble. The weight is similar.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by kanonengedonner; 09-29-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 04:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I'll add that ribble is a well established retailer. As a brand, it was a handbuilt frame and bike shop for decades(hundred years?) and has been a mail order/online retailer for decades too.

Its a legit brand with actual people working for the brand.

Just mentioning this in case it legitimized the brand for you and takes some of the unknown away.
Old 09-29-20, 04:34 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Two friends of mine ride Lynskeys and they both love them.
Another friend rides a Naked Ti road bike; handmade on Quadra Island (Canada) but probably not what you're looking for.
ANOTHER friend is getting a brand new No.22; https://22bicycles.com/pages/multi-surface-and-gravel
Don't want to sway your thoughts but damn the No.22 look sexy.
Old 09-29-20, 06:49 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Just know that if you go with the lynskey when you receive the frame you need to inspect it with a fine tooth comb. They make nice stuff but their QC is atrocious.
Old 09-29-20, 08:10 PM
kanonengedonner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Two friends of mine ride Lynskeys and they both love them.
Another friend rides a Naked Ti road bike; handmade on Quadra Island (Canada) but probably not what you're looking for.
ANOTHER friend is getting a brand new No.22
Don't want to sway your thoughts but damn the No.22 look sexy.
thx for the suggestions .... those bikes are beauties. i'd love to get my hand on one of them, but my budget is 4-5k max. The no22 which is a gem runs 8K
Old 09-29-20, 10:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Apparently the initial post is deleted?...odd.
Old 09-29-20, 11:00 PM
kanonengedonner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Apparently the initial post is deleted?...odd.
not sure what happened either...but I was asking about ti Lynskey vs ti Ribbbel

Edit: It is back.

Last edited by kanonengedonner; 09-30-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 11:58 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
the main benefit of heavy alloy frame is custom geometry, if you are just gonna buy a stock frame then carbon is lighter and cheaper
Old 09-30-20, 06:51 AM
kanonengedonner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are not wrong. It is true that carbon is lighter and cheaper. But I want a durable sturdy bike that is fairly fast on gravel and road that I can also take on a Sunday coffeeshop stroll if i wanted to or on a chill midweek social ride... I don't see myself hammering gravel rides like i do with road rides.

So 4 pounds extra weight isn't a major issue.
Old 09-30-20, 08:29 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I have a Lynskey road bike that I am quite pleased with. So I am sure I would love their gravel bikes. But the Ribble bikes look like really good value and quality. Win win either way.
Old 09-30-20, 01:19 PM
Chi_Z

Originally Posted by kanonengedonner
You are not wrong. It is true that carbon is lighter and cheaper. But I want a durable sturdy bike that is fairly fast on gravel and road that I can also take on a Sunday coffeeshop stroll if i wanted to or on a chill midweek social ride... I don't see myself hammering gravel rides like i do with road rides.

So 4 pounds extra weight isn't a major issue.
steel would be the best material for you, it is much harder to screw up a steel weld compared to titanium, you'll be surprised at the amount of titanium weld failures. If the builder got the temperature wrong a little bit, your frame is toast
Old 10-01-20, 02:49 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That must be why I keep hearing about the Lynskey frames cracking.
Old 10-01-20, 03:44 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Looks like the 20% off at Lynskey is over for now but they’ll bring it back in a couple weeks. I used it in June and the discount came and went twice since then. Ribble was my first choice but in the end I went with American-built. The 0% financing for 12 months didn’t hurt either. Ribble doesn’t offer financing for the states.
Old 10-01-20, 04:50 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I was in the identical position (considering a Lynskey and CGR Ti). I ultimately went with a GR300 (internal cable) build with GRX 2x Di2. With the promo pricing it came to $5220 and that involved me upgrading to Stans 32-spoke MKIIIs, Industrial mill finish, etched graphics and their carbon/adventure fork.

It's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Happy to take photos to show how they do their Di2, I would imagine it's pretty similar between the GR300 & Pro GR. I was between a Pro GR with mechnical 2x GRX and a GR300 with Di2. I took the financing option and it worked out to be ~$14/month (more) to go with GR300 + Di2.

The last time I bought a complete bike from the UK (Condor Fratello) it was shipped DHL and when it arrived I had import duty of 10.3% which was higher than expected. Assuming I'd get a similar surcharge upon arrival the Ribble would work out to be about the same as the bike for bike pricing ($4840). Plus, I've been very happy dealing with Lynksey, so if I encounter issue the logistics of repair/replacement will be easier (no US to UK shipping).

Good luck with your decision!
Likes For softreset:
Old 10-01-20, 08:46 PM
kanonengedonner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by softreset
I was in the identical position (considering a Lynskey and CGR Ti). I ultimately went with a GR300 (internal cable) build with GRX 2x Di2. With the promo pricing it came to $5220 and that involved me upgrading to Stans 32-spoke MKIIIs, Industrial mill finish, etched graphics and their carbon/adventure fork.

It's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Happy to take photos to show how they do their Di2, I would imagine it's pretty similar between the GR300 & Pro GR. I was between a Pro GR with mechnical 2x GRX and a GR300 with Di2. I took the financing option and it worked out to be ~$14/month (more) to go with GR300 + Di2.

The last time I bought a complete bike from the UK (Condor Fratello) it was shipped DHL and when it arrived I had import duty of 10.3% which was higher than expected. Assuming I'd get a similar surcharge upon arrival the Ribble would work out to be about the same as the bike for bike pricing ($4840). Plus, I've been very happy dealing with Lynksey, so if I encounter issue the logistics of repair/replacement will be easier (no US to UK shipping).

Good luck with your decision!
You touched on the same points I ran in my mind. One little additional "major" issue that Lynskey has that bugs me: the absence of rubber grommets for cable entry and exit to and from the frame. I don't get it. The wholes are completely exposed. Ribble seems to have pristine finish (including better pictures - not sure if in actuality their quality is as good as the pictures) . The TI looks good and in addition wheel options, handlebars and stems seem better... Lynskey's different Ti finishes are a misery in comparaison.

And then you calculate duties which is hit or miss and the fact that Lynskey is US based makes Lynskey more appealing ...

To mess things up (unrelated to my post), Ribble's carbon gravel with di2 and integrated cockpit is 1.5k cheaper ... It is a beauty

I appreciate a picture of your new rig when you can btw. How long did you wait?

Last edited by kanonengedonner; 10-02-20 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 07:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
To mess things up (unrelated to my post), Ribble's carbon gravel with integrated di2 is 1.5k cheaper, and with integrated cockpit... It is a beauty

I appreciate a picture of your new rig when you can btw. How long did you wait?
And you can get custom paint. I went back and forth for a while on the CGR Ti and SL, but decided to go with another Revolt from my LBS. But the SL with custom paint and integrated cockpit looks like a great option.
Old 10-02-20, 09:35 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I have a Lynskey gr260 and after 13 months the frame cracked. No crash, in fact at that point I had only ridden it on very smooth pavement.
They repaired it at no charge, but I did have the cost of tear down/rebuild and shipping one way. I was without a bike for about a month and a half.
My bike now has a weld all the way around the seat tube a couple of inches below the seat tube/top tube joint. I told them I was not pleased with the extra joint on my bike but all they would do was sell me another frame at the crash replacement price.
Bike was purchased in about December 2018.
Old 10-02-20, 11:16 AM
kanonengedonner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mmassey338
I have a Lynskey gr260 and after 13 months the frame cracked. No crash, in fact at that point I had only ridden it on very smooth pavement.
They repaired it at no charge, but I did have the cost of tear down/rebuild and shipping one way. I was without a bike for about a month and a half.
My bike now has a weld all the way around the seat tube a couple of inches below the seat tube/top tube joint. I told them I was not pleased with the extra joint on my bike but all they would do was sell me another frame at the crash replacement price.
Bike was purchased in about December 2018.

that's very worrisome
Old 10-02-20, 12:31 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
that's very worrisome
Agreed!!!
Old 10-02-20, 12:35 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Crack from seat tube across weld into top tube

Repair. Weld quality looks good, but who wants an extra weld in such a visible place.
Old 10-02-20, 01:01 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Woah, that's a huge crack. I would have really wanted a new frame from them.
Old 10-02-20, 01:53 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Originally Posted by tdilf
Woah, that's a huge crack. I would have really wanted a new frame from them.
I did, and they refused.
I asked why it cracked, and they couldn’t or wouldn’t give me an answer, which is also troubling because what keeps it from happening again.
Old 10-02-20, 04:42 PM
Chi_Z

the crack was clearly due to poor welding technique, so now you have a 2 piece seattube, how does that affect the riding quality?
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 10-02-20, 04:50 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
the crack was clearly due to poor welding technique, so now you have a 2 piece seattube, how does that affect the riding quality?
I haven’t noticed a difference in the ride, but wouldn’t expect to. Butt joints are strong.
Why do you say it was poor welding, wouldn’t it have cracked along the joint instead of across it?
Old 10-02-20, 05:16 PM
Chi_Z

the weld itself should be strong, but with poor technique, the welder can change the properties of the areas surrounding the weld make them more brittle which lead to cracks. So they replaced the top section of the seattube but what about the toptube? did they just replace the entire toptube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.