Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 07:25 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by milesfromhome
Like the top of the Chrysler building! I will have to try some or all of that on my 24" steel rims - I have been scrubbing them with tin foil and it helped a lot but some rust remains :-)
The Bar Keepers Friend is the key (I think). I saw that as a recommendation on here via search. One of the ingredients is oxalic acid. Which I've seen referenced here on BF for rust removal.

I was going to try rags soaked in Evaporust then wrap with saran wrap. But I didn't want to wait 12-24 hours. Plus the idea of wrapping in between the spokes gave me a head ache.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-31-24, 07:29 PM
IdahoBrett 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Wow. Great job! Looks fantastic. I enjoy polishing to a point, then when I find myself causing elbow joint pain, I usually stop.

Usually...
Thanks! I thought for sure my hands were going to hurt today. They didn't. Guess I've got a few years more left of mechanaking in me....

After the new decals reassembly will commence. That is if I do well with the decals. I better have Mrs. Idaho keep her eyes on the straightness for me. All my picture hangin' usually ends up crooked.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 04-01-24, 06:59 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 124 Posts
Starting a clean up on this old old Starrett dial indicator set.

A good cleaning and a new crystal. Anything to get me out of the house yet not spend an inordinate of time on the stupid knee scooter. On that front, I may be able to start hobbling on two feet next week and back on a bike, slowly, the following week.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-02-24, 08:50 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts

trying to figure out how to make one good derailleur out of these two. Anyone ever replaced the rivets/pins on these?
Old 04-02-24, 09:08 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 848 Posts
This afternoon is probably the final day I'll have available for working on my bike stockpile for the next two weeks, so I thought "let's see if I can actually finish some partially-rebuilt bikes today."

First up: a Diamondback Ascent that should just need a shifter swap. But the crunchy Tioga Farmer John's Nephew tires were more than old enough to have nephews themselves, so they were swapped for some pre-loved Serfas Drifters. Cabled it up and it came together nicely. One down.

Back to that Miyata Triplecross. Shifters are degunked, so they went back on along with new cables, old grips, and shiny pedals. Two down.

And then from behind me... the unmistakable sound of "fsssshhh" as the rear tube on the Ascent went from 65 to 0 in about half a second. Oh fsshh. Yanked the tire off and discovered the tube may have looked OK, but had an unseen weakness down around the rim tape, and it finally gave way once repressurized. Oh well - swapped it out & pumped it up.

Don't give me that look.

Almost done - I put new covers in two old saddles, and now the bikes are ready to head to the co-op for sale.

Plus I had the ultrasonic cleaner working on two sets of shifters during all this - one set cleaned up great, but the other set is not giving up without a gooey greasy fight.

Between that and doing the taxes, I'm almost thinking I might have accomplished something today.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-03-24, 03:13 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10

trying to figure out how to make one good derailleur out of these two. Anyone ever replaced the rivets/pins on these?
You can remove rivets with a drill, by gently applying a drill bit to the "dimpled" end of the rivet / pin. Grinder is another option, but I would prefer a drill bit myself. More precise. I don't see why one wouldn't be able to use new rivets to put these back together. It might not be easy wherever any spring tension is involved and might require some robust vocabulary in the process (speaking from experience of re-assembling Huret Success front derailleur, and that was made to be taken apart), but should be possible. Personally, were I to attempt something like this (if I had well enough equipped workshop, which right now I don't have), I would take a leaf from Huret Success Titane book and use clevis pins with circlips to put it back together.
Oh, it might be possible to take both the rear part of the seat tube clamp and the cage from some other Suntour FDs. I'd have to have a look, but I believe several models shared parts of the design.
Old 04-03-24, 03:25 PM
jPrichard10 

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
You can remove rivets with a drill, by gently applying a drill bit to the "dimpled" end of the rivet / pin. Grinder is another option, but I would prefer a drill bit myself. More precise. I don't see why one wouldn't be able to use new rivets to put these back together. It might not be easy wherever any spring tension is involved and might require some robust vocabulary in the process (speaking from experience of re-assembling Huret Success front derailleur, and that was made to be taken apart), but should be possible. Personally, were I to attempt something like this (if I had well enough equipped workshop, which right now I don't have), I would take a leaf from Huret Success Titane book and use clevis pins with circlips to put it back together.
That was the plan, so sounds like I'm on the right track! I knew I wouldn't get rivets to reassemble, but I wasn't sure if I could get a pin for a circle with the ridge in the right place (I don't have a lathe).

A bolt and nut is the worst option, but still exists.
Old 04-03-24, 03:55 PM
VintageSteelEU

Nothing serious today, didn't have much time. But since I'm waiting for Spidel brake calipers to arrive, I will need pads for them, so decided to make a start. I tend to use Weinmann pads as the basis for any vintage brakes that come without pads. They are inexpensive, easy to find and made of aluminium. Which can be polished quite easily to a mirror finish, if someone had time and energy for that. This time I just gave them once over with a scouring bit on the rotary tool and then a brass brush bit. Perhaps at some point I'll give them a bit more attention, after I tighten all the wings. Donor pads are made by Fibrax (Steel & Alloy compatible) and they are basically identical to Weinmann ones, could be used as they are. But they are made of steel, which I don't like, because it's more slippery in the calipers. The rubber pads are a perfect fit. And the chamfered nuts are also pretty decent and I find them better for caliper brakes than aluminium (or steel) domed nuts Weinmann pads sometimes come with.

A new old stock, 116mm TA 344 bottom bracket spindle arrived today. I've cleaned some surface rust off it (nothing serious) and decied to see whether Sugino cups I have will be a match. It certainly seems so. With caged bearings there is about 1mm clearance between the cup face and the beginning of the taper, so with loose bearings I will use it with, definitely there shouldn't be any issue with cranks rubbing on them (and also, cranks won't reach the bottom of the taper anyway). I will be using this setup with Spidel 105bis crankset, so the chainline should be still alright. 1mm closer to the centre of the frame than with 118mm spindle originally intended, but that should also result in a smaller chance for the chain rubbing against the FD cage in unorthodox gear combinations, so I'm fine with that. It looks like that's another bit sorted. In the end, Superator gets Superbe and SR Royal mix I was originally planning for it (albeit with Spidel brakes). C5 will be rebuilt very close to catalog specification (Belleri stem and handlebar, Weinmann (Carrera) Brakes, Spidel / Stronglight 105 crankset, Selle San Marco Concor saddle, probably SR Laprade seatpost) but with Huret Jubilee derailleurs instead of Huret Success and with Simplex SLJ shifters instead of Huret Success ones.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 04-03-24, 04:07 PM
VintageSteelEU

That was the plan, so sounds like I'm on the right track! I knew I wouldn't get rivets to reassemble, but I wasn't sure if I could get a pin for a circle with the ridge in the right place (I don't have a lathe).

Clevis pins come in various widths and lengths, so you might be lucky. Another option would be to go for bolts, spring washers and nuts, easier to cut to the required length, but these would certainly add some weight.
I remember when I was overhauling my Huret Success set, spring in the FD gave me the most grief, I almost gave up on it. But it's a completely different design than in typical front derailleurs. Thinking about it now, I believe the FD actually used screws, but would have to dig it out to have a closer look and refresh my memory.
Old 04-03-24, 04:50 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,235 Posts
Unwanted Sekai got a makeover.

Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-04-24, 04:43 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Started on the replacement counter-shaft for the 90 year old Craftsman lathe, on the 90 year old Craftsman lathe.

The shaft is not perfect, but neither is the lathe.I kind of have to make the tools to make the tools...

The replacement crystal for the about as old Starrett dial indicator showed up yesterday. Looks good.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-04-24, 05:38 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3213 Post(s)
Liked 1,863 Times in 1,173 Posts
A few weeks ago, while at the bolt specialty shop, I learned that bicycle mounting bolts are stainless. Today I learned why. Attempting to put pannier hooks on my wife’s Bianchi Forte, I found hex head bolts. One came right out. The other had to ultimately be filed down enough to pop the rack foot off. And then I had something I could get ahold of with the vise grips.
Old 04-04-24, 05:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked 6,407 Times in 3,686 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
A few weeks ago, while at the bolt specialty shop, I learned that bicycle mounting bolts are stainless. Today I learned why. Attempting to put pannier hooks on my wife’s Bianchi Forte, I found hex head bolts. One came right out. The other had to ultimately be filed down enough to pop the rack foot off. And then I had something I could get ahold of with the vise grips.
Not always but mostly on higher end components and getting less so by the day, profit at all costs and all that.
Old 04-04-24, 06:19 PM
VintageSteelEU

Another SR Royal BB spindle arrived today and was cleaned (not that it needed much cleaning). Really good condition, despite being previously used, so that's 10 quid well spent. Totally forgot it's assymetrical though, so not sure whether it will do as a replacement for the Suntour Sprint one, which is 109mm. With SR Royal I would be getting the chainline 2mm outwards. Not something I have to worry about right now, got other projects to complete.

Today the most time consuming thing was modifying the seatpost to fit Reboul Superator. I had Ritchey branded Nitto S65 which I got on the cheap, but in 26.8 instead of 26.6mm required and way too long. It was slightly mistreated, with snake lines and gashes, so needed sanding down anyway. Not sure why I started sanding it down before I cut it down to the required length, but thankfully few minutes in I realised there is no point in sanding down the part I'm not going to need. That took best part of two hours, then about 30-40 minutes going over with finer sandpaper (ended up with 2500 grit) and then a bit of polishing. It's not quite finished yet, need to even out the edge of the cut and round the seatpost walls on it and it definitely needs more polishing, but for now it will do. If I like the ride, I will put some more time and work in it this winter. But the seatpost fits pretty well now, so I'm happy I've made some progress. Next step will be applying the same procedure to the stem (I have 22.2, need 22mm) followed by modifying chainrings slightly. And then installing brakes, cables and chain and we'll see how this thing rides

Still needs polishing

New version of San Marco Regal (Evo) behind, the old one (Regal Girardi) in front. Looking at the design, name is the only thing they have in common, really. Completely different saddles. I like the modern one and I find it comfortable, haven't tried the old one yet.
Old 04-04-24, 06:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
Started on the replacement counter-shaft for the 90 year old Craftsman lathe, on the 90 year old Craftsman lathe.

The shaft is not perfect, but neither is the lathe.I kind of have to make the tools to make the tools...

The replacement crystal for the about as old Starrett dial indicator showed up yesterday. Looks good.
if the “crystal” for the dial indicator is only the plastic… a watchmaker that rebuilds mechanical watches should be able to press it in. Acrylic watch crystals are often a press fit and the plastic is to be deformed slightly to engage then loosen up to bind in place.
I saw this done once and was surprised/impressed.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-04-24, 06:59 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Another SR Royal BB spindle arrived today and was cleaned (not that it needed much cleaning). Really good condition, despite being previously used, so that's 10 quid well spent. Totally forgot it's assymetrical though, so not sure whether it will do as a replacement for the Suntour Sprint one, which is 109mm. With SR Royal I would be getting the chainline 2mm outwards. Not something I have to worry about right now, got other projects to complete.

Today the most time consuming thing was modifying the seatpost to fit Reboul Superator. I had Ritchey branded Nitto S65 which I got on the cheap, but in 26.8 instead of 26.6mm required and way too long. It was slightly mistreated, with snake lines and gashes, so needed sanding down anyway. Not sure why I started sanding it down before I cut it down to the required length, but thankfully few minutes in I realised there is no point in sanding down the part I'm not going to need. That took best part of two hours, then about 30-40 minutes going over with finer sandpaper (ended up with 2500 grit) and then a bit of polishing. It's not quite finished yet, need to even out the edge of the cut and round the seatpost walls on it and it definitely needs more polishing, but for now it will do. If I like the ride, I will put some more time and work in it this winter. But the seatpost fits pretty well now, so I'm happy I've made some progress. Next step will be applying the same procedure to the stem (I have 22.2, need 22mm) followed by modifying chainrings slightly. And then installing brakes, cables and chain and we'll see how this thing rides
Great job! Just noted that you have rear and front facing rear reflectors. Any particular reason why? I might change my approach if the answer stimulates some neurons...
Old 04-04-24, 07:05 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Originally Posted by repechage
if the “crystal” for the dial indicator is only the plastic… a watchmaker that rebuilds mechanical watches should be able to press it in. Acrylic watch crystals are often a press fit and the plastic is to be deformed slightly to engage then loosen up to bind in place.
I saw this done once and was surprised/impressed.
I've seen that done and it's pretty cool to watch. This crystal, which is acrylic, was a piece of cake. I probably spent more time removing the retaining ring from the gage than I did fitting the crystal and putting it back together. It was an exact fit.
Old 04-04-24, 07:13 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 48 Posts
Had my riding buddy’s 86 Panasonic DX-5000 on the stand today. Performed a bearing service on the rear hub and had to grind down the rear reflector mount with a dremel to accommodate a larger tire. We tried to replace the freewheel but realized that the hub is Italian threaded. Campy hubs and mavic rims. No biggie, the 5 speed he has on there purrs like a kitten and I got to keep the 6 speed. Don’t know much about the bike but it looks the business to me. Shimano 600 group. It’s definitely lived a full life and I was happy to help keep it rolling.

The lighting does not do the beautiful lavender color justice.
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 04-05-24, 01:05 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by sbrudno
Great job! Just noted that you have rear and front facing rear reflectors. Any particular reason why? I might change my approach if the answer stimulates some neurons...
I'm afraid there is no funky or mind blowing explanation for this. I needed access to the adjuster bolt as I was swapping the saddles around and the light was in the way

The reason I have a reflector is that it's a legal requirement in the UK and so are rear and front lights after sunset. The reason I have two rear lights is that if battery in one goes flat, I still have a backup. I do also have more than one reflector at the back, in the form of a reflective red tape underneath the saddle. In case someone gets a silly idea of stealing the main reflector. Though in all fairness, they are more likely to take the whole seatpost and a saddle.
Old 04-05-24, 06:58 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 163 Posts

Can you treat the pin as you would a rivet in a chain and only drive it out enough to separate the two parts of the clamp?

Old 04-05-24, 06:03 PM
VintageSteelEU

Spidel LS2 brakes arrived. In a pretty decent condition, but still decided to take them apart and give them a bit of an overhaul. Which was a good decision, they are working very nicely indeed now. Very smooth. They are designed pretty well and the finish is quite good. Brass bushings and 3 nylon washers for the pivot bolt. Not the lightest, at 345g with pads and tyre guides, but not too bad.
I'd say they wouldn't be far off compared with Suntour Superbe originally planned for this build. I especially like the mounting bolt, it's a brilliant idea. The pivot bolt of the brakes doubles as a nut for the mounting bolt. Which means that I can easily replace the mounting bolt, say, if I wanted to use a titanium one (not that it would affect the weight by much). And it gives a very clean look when mounted on the frame.
Sadly, they don't have cable adjusters. I understand they were made by Mafac and Mafac had cable adjusters on their levers. But then I don't really use cable adjusters much anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue with other brake levers (I'm still planning to use Suntour Superbe ones).
Now the next step will be modifying the stem to fit the French steerer tube, hopefully will manage to do that tomorrow. Progress is slower than I would have liked, but there is some progress nevertheless.

Before. Not bad at all. Ugly modern brake pads were tossed away.

A bit cleaner, much smoother and ready to go on the frame.
Old 04-06-24, 06:26 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
Progress

Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 04-06-24, 07:27 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts
Messed around more with the Kamra bike last night while waiting for a buyer come bike to look at a different one. Tore down the headset, degreased it, cleaned off some surface rust, polished the chrome, lubed 'er up, and put it back together. Took a couple of whacks at the stuck seat post with a small sledge hammer but it's holding on strong, LOL!
Old 04-06-24, 09:35 AM
IdahoBrett 

Reassembled the 74 Continental seat assembly. Working on polishing the paint in preparation for new decals. Doing the areas for the decals has led me to the entire frame. I don’t know if my level of “restification” is appropriate as the overall condition has its share of paint chips and deep scratches. I’m using a fine polish and not getting in a hurry. The fork decals wiped right off with a simple cleaning. The ND side down tube decals took a bit of polishing, but the decal was mostly gone. The DS and seat post decals are going to take me a bit longer.

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 04-06-24, 09:43 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 1,998 Posts
Trek 720 complete

Delivering three bikes to a friend tomorrow (N-3) at long last. Two have been built and sitting in my garage.

The 720 became a project after he happened to ask for his daughter.

It was completely mauled paint wise on the top tube and chain stays. After some creative paint and nail polish solutions it passes the 6 foot test okay.

A little bling.

Drive train is a 2x8. Had an STX rear derailleur that was great until I saw the cage bent. Had a light action LC so...

Oryx brakes front and rear. They are dialed i !

Friction shifters (Shimano something)
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.