Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ZERO GRAVITY... is the honeymoon over?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ZERO GRAVITY... is the honeymoon over?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 08:21 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The amount of hand-wringing over 100 grams in bike component weight savings by 25lb. overweight Freds on this Forum is endlessly entertaining.
+1 more gazillion
Old 01-17-08, 08:25 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrennie
The trp 920's are 128g claimed and 130g real weight
per wheel...
Old 01-17-08, 09:05 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fact is, Zero Gravity brakes work just fine if you take the time to set them up correctly. They have more than enough stopping power and good modulation. They also are one of the places on your bike where you can save a good chunk of weight for not a ton of cash. (considering how much a set of Record or Dura Ace brakes retail for)

However, if you are sloppy with your installing, these brakes aren't for you. Cable length and torque on the mounting bolts are critical, as well as setting the pads up the correct distance from the rim. Screw these up and you won't be satisfied.
Old 01-17-08, 09:07 AM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
per wheel...
Sorry that wasn't very clear
TRP 920(also sold as the new cane creek) 130g/caliper
KCNC 160g/set
Old 01-17-08, 09:18 AM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much stopping power does a person need??

Pretty much any brake system will lock a wheel up at some point during the pull, and because of the small surface area that actually contacts the pavement on a road bike, you are at the mercy of the tires (and your balance) stopping you in a hairy situation.
Old 01-17-08, 09:59 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The amount of hand-wringing over 100 grams in bike component weight savings by 25lb. overweight Freds on this Forum is endlessly entertaining.
About as entertaining as your implication that running ZG over DA is going to result in road rash...
Old 01-17-08, 10:26 AM
Smorgasbord42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a sales blurb on the Neg-g's from Competetive Cyclist. One snippet:
The big performance difference between the Zero- and Negative-Gs is that the Negs have arms that flex much, much less. The result is less pull, less effort at the brake levers to get the same braking power.

Zero Gravity boasts that their brake has a 2.85-to-1 mechanical advantage. But thanks to the Powercam built into the brake arm, the mechanical advantage actually varies from about 1.36-to-1 at the start of the lever travel to the full 2.85-to-1 at the end. This compares with Dura Ace 7800 brakes, which have a constant 2-to-1 mechanical advantage.
First, it's interesting to note that they say Neg-g arms "flex much, much less" than the Zero-g arms. I might speculate that the arm flexing of Zero-g is part of the bad reviews. My own experience with 2006 105 and Ultegra brakes is that the 105's felt better and stronger. The LBS mechanic said that's because Shimano went a bit overboard trying to save weight on the Ultegras and machined away a little too much material, so they flexed more (supposedly fixed for 2007).

Also contributing to the reviews could be the variable leverage, which makes setting up these brakes somewhat trickier - if the pads are too close you'll not get to the full mechanical advantage, and if set too far you'll get to it too soon. A constanst mechanical advantage brake won't have this issue.

Finally, I found it kind of amusing that CC touts Zero-g's lack of forging as an advantage. I guess they have a point, but I've always heard that forging produces lighter and strong parts, at a higher cost.
Old 01-17-08, 03:35 PM
Super Guanche

Bikes: Wilier Mortirolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you started a thread about this over at Weight Weenies as well.
Old 01-17-08, 04:34 PM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Felt FC Custom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Guanche
I see you started a thread about this over at Weight Weenies as well.
Yeah I wanted to see what the weenies would think as well as the crew at BF. Since zero's are a weight weenie component... thought it would be interesting to get from both sides.
Old 01-17-08, 06:09 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
I love mine. Set up correctly and with the right pads, they work fine. Just as good as my Ultegras
At 3X the price "just as good" ain't good enough, at least IMHO.
Old 01-17-08, 06:21 PM
rockabilly808
Drunk on wheels

Bikes: a frame and 2 wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dura ace breaks are superb why change em out with something new and more or less unproven
Old 01-17-08, 07:37 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
At 3X the price "just as good" ain't good enough, at least IMHO.
Just as good, but half the weight... welcome to weight weenie-ism

Originally Posted by rockabilly808
dura ace breaks are superb why change em out with something new and more or less unproven
New? Unproven? I've had mine for over two years. Like them or hate them, I think they are quite a known quantity at this point.
Old 01-17-08, 07:48 PM
Strong Bad
ride lots

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
How do you figure you would save weight with those? They are still 100g heavier than the zero g's.
I was responding to the DA folks.
The TRPs perform with the best dual pivots, and can be found for $140 or less.
Old 01-18-08, 09:18 AM
miket

Bikes: 08 BMC Pro Machine, 08 Cervelo R3, 06 Cervelo Soloist Team, 08 Ridley X-Fire, 08 Clemente custom track frame, 07 Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped reading the reviews once they were on my bike. I did over 20 races on them last year with no problems. Set them to the right torque, use a spanner to center them, and that's it. They're light, look way better than DA, and they work like brakes should.

I'm getting Negative G's for my other bike so I try both out.
Old 01-18-08, 09:22 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by miket
I stopped reading the reviews once they were on my bike. I did over 20 races on them last year with no problems. Set them to the right torque, use a spanner to center them, and that's it. They're light, look way better than DA, and they work like brakes should.

I'm getting Negative G's for my other bike so I try both out.
I have raced often in Brooklyn. Stopping is never necessary there, only crashing. The Zero Gs work great for that. I descend screaming Hudson Valley hills where deer can pop out at any moment. Stopping is more crucial here, hence my insistence on Dura Ace.
Old 01-18-08, 10:04 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
Pro's are 160lb stud cyclists who ride 15-16lb bikes. Us casual folk are near or over 200lbs most of the time and strive to ride 14 lbs or less bikes.
herein lies the real silliness of it all...
Old 01-18-08, 12:35 PM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have raced often in Brooklyn. Stopping is never necessary there, only crashing. The Zero Gs work great for that. I descend screaming Hudson Valley hills where deer can pop out at any moment. Stopping is more crucial here, hence my insistence on Dura Ace.
Have you ever had to stop in an instant because of a deer or other furry animal?

This isn't about stopping a four wheeled race car, where you do not have to worry about laying down the vehicle if the wheels lock up, where you do not have to worry about flipping over the bars on a steep decent... is it that much more difficult to pull, say one to two more centimeters, to get the same or greater mechanical advantage?? I think actually screaming on the decent would be better insurance against hitting those pesky deer.

All that said, DA calipers are better. Zero-G's are nice, but next time, I will shave grams on the frame, fork, or wheels first.
Old 01-18-08, 12:58 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
If I want better looking brakes I'll dig out my old Campy Deltas.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-18-08, 01:51 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm surprised that cyclists buy in so fully to the idea that calipers control braking distance.

Friction areas stop the bike... Asphault against tires, pads against rims. So the brake caliper flexes... squeeze a little harder. Given the same friction components, stopping distance is going to be virtually identical between Sora and Dura Ace.

Yes, there are "feel" issues, but this is not an issue in the emergency stop situation being described. If people were that concerned with stopping distance, we would hear more (any) discussion of tire braking performance, coefficient of friction numbers for brake pads, etc.
Old 01-18-08, 02:26 PM
markyore
markyore

Bikes: Specailized s-works E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting discussion, I currently use DA calipers and find them to be really excellent, best I've ever tried. Recently I bought some ZGs on e-bay. I haven't put them on the bike yet but when I do I willl be intersted to see how they perform. From what I hear pad choice is critical so I'll put my Kool-stop salmon on the ZG brakes for fair comparison.

Still, I think I'will hold onto the DA for the time being just in case I got a good deal on the ZG so I will be able to sell them on without losing money.
Old 01-18-08, 04:06 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guy's suck. All of you.

Disc brakes a man's brake, no matter how much more they weigh.
Old 01-18-08, 04:31 PM
Mellowman
never easier, u go faster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Just as good, but half the weight... welcome to weight weenie-ism
you need to check your weights again. This time add pads, you'll need them. More like +2/3's the weight, even less difference compared to Record.

Don't forget ZG, and NG's can't handle wider tires or rims. May not matter to you but it does to a lot of people.

in the end, it's a fad (i.e. single pivot fronts in different designs to save weight at the cost of performance) that even a lot of the OG WW are done with.

Last edited by Mellowman; 01-18-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 04:33 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look, the debate about how good they are, how they compare to dura-ace, etc. has been going on forever. We will never agree. It is like Shimano vs. Campy, Mac vs. PC, Canon vs. Nikon. My point is, that the topic of this post is silly--honeymoon over? what honeymoon? It's been like this from the moment they came out! Can you only imagie the endless debates we would have gotten into had they actually released their cranks!
Old 01-19-08, 02:06 AM
miket

Bikes: 08 BMC Pro Machine, 08 Cervelo R3, 06 Cervelo Soloist Team, 08 Ridley X-Fire, 08 Clemente custom track frame, 07 Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I've never crashed at Prospect... or Floyd Bennet... or Central Park.

In fact, I've never crashed due to inadequacy of my Zero Gravity brakes, only because of the ignorance of stupid drivers. There is not a brake manufacturer in the world who could have saved me from those crashes.

I have both ZG and DA brakes on different bikes, and I think they work equally well.
Old 01-19-08, 02:33 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT to CA
SHILL REVIEW. Might as well post something from Bicycling. Zero G's are not as good as D/A, this is old, old news.
yes, it is old news. Why link to a review over 2 years old? Here Pez reviews the Negative G, which is an improved Zero G. He calls the Negative G braking equal to D-A, which means he agrees the Zero G was worse than D-A.

I can't tell why these links have different dates; looks the same.

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/defaul...lstory&id=5175

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/defaul...lstory&id=5177

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.