Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 12 spd mechanical question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 05:51 PM
Bluroadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my new 12spd Record hyd brake front shift lever won't index shift. It moves most of its lever travel but won't "catch" in place. Of course this was discovered only after a long wrestling match getting the internal cables routed and the brake lever assembly installed. Any ideas about how to begin troubleshooting? Assuming I have to take it off the bike, is there an illustrated parts diagram available?
Old 04-08-24, 07:55 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 982 Posts
What bike? Perhaps your front derailleur needs to have limit screw adjusted. Just a guess based on such limited information
Old 04-08-24, 09:33 PM
Bluroadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
What bike? Perhaps your front derailleur needs to have limit screw adjusted. Just a guess based on such limited information
I'm midway through assembling the bike, which is an Italian carbon frame sourced separately from the group. I removed the cable from the front derailleur and there's been no change. I've owned and built bikes using every type of Campy indexed shifting and I've never experienced this before. I'd attempt disassembling it but am wary of doing so because the hydraulic brake hose assembly is still full of fluid (hadn't started connecting it to its brake caliper). Any ideas would be appreciated. Oh and I've looked on Campy's website but haven't found a parts illustration.
Old 04-08-24, 10:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 982 Posts
In which direction doesn't it "catch"
Old 04-09-24, 03:16 AM
Bluroadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting up to the big ring. Both levers operate but effectively nothing happens.
Old 04-09-24, 04:05 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluroadster
So my new 12spd Record hyd brake front shift lever won't index shift. It moves most of its lever travel but won't "catch" in place. Of course this was discovered only after a long wrestling match getting the internal cables routed and the brake lever assembly installed. Any ideas about how to begin troubleshooting? Assuming I have to take it off the bike, is there an illustrated parts diagram available?
Is there cable pull? It sounds like the cable is not in the right way. Did you make sure not to use a ferrule at the end of the cable that goes into the shifter?
Old 04-09-24, 10:22 AM
Bluroadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't catch in either up shift or down shift directions. The levers just move freely.
Old 04-10-24, 03:25 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I wonder, as pointed out in a previous post, if the cables are installed correctly.
Old 04-10-24, 05:17 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluroadster
It doesn't catch in either up shift or down shift directions. The levers just move freely.
Well, that implies the cable is not attached properly.