Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I would LOVE to see photos of your MTB conversion

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I would LOVE to see photos of your MTB conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 06:49 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ak08820
One bike seems like a KHS, could you tell us what the make and models of both bikes were?
I can’t help you with the one bike but I have a KHS that looks just like the one shown.
1987 KHS Montana Team
I was building mine for touring when I found my touring bike and switched gears using it as more of a commuter. It is a really great platform for a touring bike. I have added fenders and a few other things lately getting it closer again to tour ready I will have to get newer pictures. I don’t think I ever posted a photo to this thread so here is another similar KHS.

Old 11-14-12, 09:09 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bud16415
I can’t help you with the one bike but I have a KHS that looks just like the one shown.
1987 KHS Montana Team
I was building mine for touring when I found my touring bike and switched gears using it as more of a commuter. It is a really great platform for a touring bike.
Man, those Montanas are pretty! If I ever catch one locally in a reasonable size for me, I`ll snatch it right up. Is yours lugged, Bud? Looks like it.

Switched it from a tourer to a commuter? There isn`t really much difference, is there? I put mine together with touring in mind, then started commuting on it, and realized that it was better for that than my old "commuter" was, so the same bike now wears both touring and commuting hats. I dismantled the previous commuter, which is now part of several other bikes.
Old 11-15-12, 07:11 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Man, those Montanas are pretty! If I ever catch one locally in a reasonable size for me, I`ll snatch it right up. Is yours lugged, Bud? Looks like it.

Switched it from a tourer to a commuter? There isn`t really much difference, is there? I put mine together with touring in mind, then started commuting on it, and realized that it was better for that than my old "commuter" was, so the same bike now wears both touring and commuting hats. I dismantled the previous commuter, which is now part of several other bikes.

Yes they were very nice bikes, light and strong. I found mine at a yard sale for 10 bucks. The frame was small for me but that’s what I was looking for as the high seat post allowed for a tall rear basket and I put a long stem and changed bars from the straight bars. Switched to the Ritchey slicks 26 x 1.4. The shorter top tube worked into my more upright Commuting / Touring style. I never felt squeezed in on this bike and when I got my Touring bike (proper size) it felt like a truck at first. The downside is with any kind of rear panniers I have to keep them high and back and also no braze on the fork. The rack shown in the photo is an old single tube rack off a cheap bike I found that I re-shaped to get it as far back and as close to the tire as I could. I saved all the factory parts and could have it stock mtn if I ever want.

Here is what they looked like in the day and what my work horse looks like today with some salvaged 40 year old steel Schwinn fenders.

Old 02-24-13, 09:04 AM
junglism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is an amazing thread. thanks to all the contributors. i have a couple of questions. admittedly i've only read the first 8 or 9 pages and the last 2. so...
1. testing for structural damage due to rust - does anyone have any tricks to gauging structural damage? i've heard a bit about looking for pitting & paint peeling, and maybe sticking a nail into stuff to see if it goes through (extreme damage there)
2. drop bars - any bikes that are easier to convert to drop bars that wont be too stretched out..

we're planning on going on a 9-month tour of asia so we'd like to get a good idea that the frame is trustworthy..

Last edited by junglism; 02-24-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-24-13, 10:14 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by junglism
this is an amazing thread. thanks to all the contributors. i have a couple of questions. admittedly i've only read the first 8 or 9 pages and the last 2. so...
1. testing for structural damage due to rust - does anyone have any tricks to gauging structural damage? i've heard a bit about looking for pitting & paint peeling, and maybe sticking a nail into stuff to see if it goes through (extreme damage there)
2. drop bars - any bikes that are easier to convert to drop bars that wont be too stretched out..

we're planning on going on a 9-month tour of asia so we'd like to get a good idea that the frame is trustworthy..
I use a bore scope, but if there are obvious signs that he bike spent a lot of times out of doors uncovered and unmaintained I would be concerned. Things like complete deterioration of all rubber, water comes out of the wheels, all fittings are heavily rusted, etc. Paint chips with small amounts of rust are fine, if there are rust streaks coming out of the vent holes in the forks or rear stays or there are signs of water having been in the bottom bracket I would be concerned. I do treat all of my steel frames internally with a variety of concoctions once I determine that hey are structurally sound.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-24-13, 10:24 AM
junglism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I use a bore scope, but if there are obvious signs that he bike spent a lot of times out of doors uncovered and unmaintained I would be concerned. Things like complete deterioration of all rubber, water comes out of the wheels, all fittings are heavily rusted, etc. Paint chips with small amounts of rust are fine, if there are rust streaks coming out of the vent holes in the forks or rear stays or there are signs of water having been in the bottom bracket I would be concerned. I do treat all of my steel frames internally with a variety of concoctions once I determine that hey are structurally sound.

Aaron
wow awesome thanks for the quick response!!
would love to add one of those cameras to my toolbox but not sure i could get it passed the mrs. manyu thanks for the tips!
Old 02-24-13, 12:56 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Forgot to add, the stem you want for a MTB to drop bar conversion is the Nitto Dirt Drop or something similar. It raises the bars and brings them back towards the rider a bit compared to a regular drop stem.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-24-13, 01:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Forgot to add, the stem you want for a MTB to drop bar conversion is the Nitto Dirt Drop or something similar.
It raises the bars and brings them back towards the rider a bit compared to a regular drop stem.
the 'dirt drop' stem, referring to the Dirt Drop handlebars, has a steep rise angle to it,
so another rise up angled stem may do.

a drop stem , like for track racing, when insalled, is down sloping.
Old 02-24-13, 10:28 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts

1986 Diamondback Ascent (I found the handlebar attachment at the Corvallis Bicycle Cooperative in their parts bin. I have no idea who it's manufactured by.)
It'll more than likely have more upgrades in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_0319-001.JPG (99.9 KB, 470 views)
SAM_0322-001.jpg (97.1 KB, 436 views)

Last edited by mtnbud; 02-24-13 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 06:36 AM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My '80's something Scott Comp, (now Scott Touring) I hope to do some camping/touring with it. It's a very comfortable ride.

Before:

Last edited by norwood; 02-25-13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 06:10 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are the adapters that allow to attach the bar with the shifters to the ends of the drop bars? Are they freely available?
Old 03-05-13, 01:57 PM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the adapters that allow to attach the bar with the shifters to the ends of the drop bars? Are they freely available?
Those were simply the mounts of an old set of Profile aerobars that I had lying around. Similar mountings may work as well.
Old 03-14-13, 07:23 AM
junglism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've started looking around at some vintage MTBs to convert into an expedition tourer. should i be concerned with stuff like what kind of steel its made of to gauge things like whether it flexes much under load. Should i be trying to get a specific length of certain things e.g. headtube. I'll definitely be checking chainstay length for clearance....
or will mostly anything do as long as its comfortable?
i'm looking at something like the below for my girlfriend (wish it was my size).
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ri...-50/1011775119
Old 03-14-13, 05:35 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by junglism
i've started looking around at some vintage MTBs to convert into an expedition tourer. should i be concerned with stuff like what kind of steel its made of to gauge things like whether it flexes much under load. Should i be trying to get a specific length of certain things e.g. headtube. I'll definitely be checking chainstay length for clearance....
or will mostly anything do as long as its comfortable?
i'm looking at something like the below for my girlfriend (wish it was my size).
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ri...-50/1011775119
As long as it isn't the absolute bottom of the barrel mild steel tubing it would not matter to me. Most of mine are some variety of chrome moly. That bike looks like a good candidate to me.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-14-13, 05:49 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^ I wouldn`t expect problems even from a gaspipe frame for loaded riding. If you`re north of 100 KGs, plan to load it like a rented donkey AND plan to take it bumping over rocky washboarded roads, I`d be more concerned about the ultralight tubing in uber high end stuff. For most folks, I don`t think the tubeset makes as much difference as the paintjob. IMHO, the biggest challenge is finding a suitable TT length with (hopefully) a stem and seatpost less than one yard in length. Long stays and a bunch of braze ons are a nice bonus.

EDIT: Oh, that is a pretty bike
Never heard of Ridgeback before. Is it fairly common in your stomping grounds?

Last edited by rodar y rodar; 03-14-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 05:51 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
norwood that bar is awesome! good thinking
Old 03-19-13, 12:02 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One bike seems like a KHS, could you tell us what the make and models of both bikes were?
The other one is a Specialized Rockhopper Comp. In a rural part of Laos I was carrying too much heavy food in my rear panniers, hit a pot hole and the back braze-on broke (the spot where the rack connects to the bike). Right across the road was a welding shop. It broke again later in Vietnam. I stopped at a carnival and had it welded by a guy repairing one of the rides.

I'm actually considering carrying a Clamp Tite for emergency repairs on our next big tour.

Old 03-22-13, 09:08 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Attached Images
P3040002.jpg (99.5 KB, 557 views)
Old 03-22-13, 09:11 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(sigh.) I'll never get this photo thing straight here, sorry) 1999 Trek 930 , was red white and blue now it's brush painted flat black. Still working on rack upgrades and front derailleur but it rocks!
Old 03-23-13, 09:03 PM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year I ordered a new bike it was a Avalon by next. Well the ole lady got to riding it and she took it over so I took her mtn bike to convert over to a explorer bike I really hadn't done nothing to it just been way to busy but it is slowing down now at work so I got a little more time now im looking at first putting on a set of trekking bars. Put on different pedals I thinking some good medal one no clip on for me or grinders. Maybe a pedal harness or something like that I already had to get a different wheel I bought a new 26 inch double wall 32 spoked rear wheel 14low side and 36 on hi side and I got 3 different sprockets on the crank not sure on them but I went for now and put me a skinny tire on the back and the standard on the front I wanna use the skinnier tires with this bike cause most of time gonna be on paved roads the bike im talking about is the white mtn bike on the rite
Attached Images
DSCF0206.jpg (97.8 KB, 208 views)
DSCF0117.jpg (102.0 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by wbuttry; 03-23-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 10:04 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IknowURider
1999 Trek 930 , was red white and blue now it's brush painted flat black. Still working on rack upgrades and front derailleur but it rocks!
Haha! Yeah the photo thing is kind of crazy!
Nice bike. Is that a swapped in fork? I didn`t think any of the big players were still offering nonsuspension mtbs by then. Maybe they were?
Old 03-31-13, 08:05 PM
BadKarma62
But I don't like SPAM...

Bikes: 1994 Univega Alpina 5.2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WooHoo!!!! Ready to go somewhere.

Will post better pics when all done with the update.
Old 04-01-13, 08:07 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by norwood
My '80's something Scott Comp, (now Scott Touring) I hope to do some camping/touring with it. It's a very comfortable ride.

Before:
GBR!!! A fellow Husker, nice! I am in Lincoln. What handlebar bag is that?
Old 04-01-13, 10:00 PM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! My son lives in Lincoln. I plan to ride there and stay with him and ride the great trails you have there as we have done in the past. The bag is actually a Plano fishing tackle bag that I picked up at Wallyworld. It works great. It even has the mounting straps already on it.
Old 04-08-13, 10:37 AM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well here is my bike finished besides the seat and gonna find me one when I loose a little more weight
Attached Images
bike finished.jpg (99.9 KB, 218 views)
bike finished 2.jpg (97.7 KB, 292 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.