Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ultralight off-bike shoes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 11:35 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This topic may have been covered ad nauseum here, but I don't see a recent thread, nor were searches that useful.

I recently researched the lightest, most practical off-bike shoes that could be brought on a credit card cycling tour. My intent was to have something that would be ultralight, comfortable, practical, and not appear too out of place while afoot about town.

The most useful site I found was Birthday Shoes, which has a review here of the New Balance HI-REZ Minimus. These are not yet widely available (e.g. not at a NB factory store I visited). I ordered these from ShoeBuy, with no sales tax, free shipping, and an easily obtained discount coupon.

These turn out to be pretty light, here in Size 12.5:

I like them so far. I can wear them all day just as I would a running shoe, only it has the barefoot thing going on. The look is fairly low key (e.g. no toes), so that they can be worn in a greater variety of locations.

Anybody have any other recommendations for an ultralight off-bike touring shoe?

Strava Tandem Club
Old 06-18-13, 12:12 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Piper sandals.
Old 06-18-13, 12:40 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How about 1 oz DIY camp sandals?

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 06-18-13, 12:45 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Croc knock-offs. They've served me well in the showers, in the camps, along the beaches, and on the walking trails (yes, really, although gravel can be an issue if it gets inside). Light, although the soles do wear quite quickly, and they are cheap. I normally cut off the strap. I can also ride with them as I have two-sided pedals.

If I am doing longer walks, I'll just wear the MTB shoes.
Old 06-18-13, 01:56 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 for crocs, particularly the shower thing. I guess they are no longer trendy, but they are great. I leave the straps on, but mostly don't wear them. I use them swimming also, with the straps on they will float me dead level on my back. No need to drownproof. Not really a bike thing.

I'm not sure I can still get the cycling sandals I like, but they were at least as good for hiking.
Old 06-18-13, 02:15 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Teva's, slip on 'aqua shoes', the cheap flip flops from the drug store... all would be comfortable for what you describe, small to pack (maybe not the Teva's), and functional.
Old 06-18-13, 04:18 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I too kind of like Crocs knock offs, but found that I didn't really miss them when they went missing on a recent tour. There is a large crop of minimalist running shoes in a variety of styles and colors, some of which are more conservative looking than the Minimus Hi-Rez which I find far more conspicuous that five fingers in a conservative color.

Just a little food for thought...
A lot depends on what you expect from your tour footwear. Features that might be important depending on your usage:
  1. The ability to slip into them easily when stepping out of a tent. Crocs are supreme on this one as are flip flops, five fingers are worst, others are in between.
  2. The ability to hike rocky trails and longer distances, if desired. It varies with individual folks feet but for those who are not used to minimal footwear it can be a real issue. Depending on the individual and the conditions anything from bare feet to full on hiking boots might be considered.
  3. A change from your regular riding shoes. Anything you find comfortable might meet this one.
  4. An at least somewhat "normal" look. Obviously in the eyes of the beholder, but I find somewhat subdued colors a bigger plus than "normal" styling. For example gray, navy, brown, or black Crocs or five fingers stick out less than blaze orange and lime green shoes.
  5. Packability. If willing to hang them on the outside of your bags this becomes a non issue and leaves them more readily accessible.
  6. The ability to handle wet conditions. Again Crocs win this one. They don't absorb much moisture and therefore dry immediately.
  7. Weight. Personally, if taking a second pair of shoes I prefer something under a pound for the pair, but If I was doing a lot of longer (all day) hikes I would be willing to bite the bullet and take my regular trail runners at a bit over a pound and a half. I do also have a pair of new balance minimal trail runners (I forget the model number), that are almost exactly one pound for the pair that are OK for long hikes, These days, if not planning doing any hiking over a mile or three on easy terrain, I am inclined to leave the second set of shoes home.
Old 06-18-13, 06:08 AM
Rowan

One thing about Cros/knockoffs and water -- they are as noisy as all get-out to walk in afterwards!
Old 06-18-13, 06:10 AM
Rowan

I should also add that I rather like the look of the shoes in Ritterview's OP. Something different, but still acceptable. And that roll-up looks like a good thing, too. I will be keeping an eye out to see if they hit Australian shores anytime soon, just to have a look-see.
Old 06-18-13, 08:12 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Recently discussed topic might be of use

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=teva+shoes
Old 06-18-13, 08:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Am quite content with normal trail running type shoes. Something that has the ankle support and cushioning that I want for a day of sightseeing on pavement.

For home use, I use two sided SPD type pedals and SPD bike shoes. But for touring I switch to M324 pedals that allow normal shoes on one side and bike shoes on the other.

On a tour last month one day my bike shoes were still soaked one morning from the previous day of constant rain. I was really glad I had dry trail running shoes to use for biking. The trail runners were not as stiff as bike shoes, but they were stiff enough for a day of pedaling so my bike shoes could dry out.

But thanks for listing other options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP4249.jpg (73.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-18-13, 08:52 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I did Pittsburgh to Washington DC two years ago with just a pair of Crocs Crostrails. They stuck like glue to my mountainbike pedals with studs and dried quickly after being deluged with rain from Hurricane Irene.

I like the shoes posted by the OP though. They look nice and I'm partial to barefoot shoes. I barefoot run. I have a pair of Nike Free 3.0s. They are about 8.5 ounces for a pair. They are harder to find than Nike's generic Frees though.

Here are some others. https://www.softstarshoes.com/running...oth-black.html
Old 06-18-13, 12:06 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Recently discussed topic might be of use

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=teva+shoes
Thanks, I'm not sure I saw that even though I searched for off-bike shoes.

For this thread I am looking for something for credit card touring, that I'd don after checking into a hotel, and doffing bike clothes/shoes. I want the lightest footware that I can walk as far in as I want, and go anywhere I want.
  • Ultralight (e.g., a pair under 300 grams/10 oz.)
  • Shoes, not sandals or flip-flops or clogs.
  • Capable of extensive walking in town.
  • Conventional appearance suitable for, say, restaurants, etc.

I'm not sure crocs fit the bill. Only the sandals would be ultralight, not the full shoes. Ditto Piper sandals. Teva aqua shoes aren't meant for all-day walking.

These DASH RunAmocs have a more conventional appearance, but I am not even sure if the weight of "5.0–9.5 oz, depending on size, leather type and sole" refers to a single shoe, or a pair. They don't appear to be built with the weight weenie exactitude of the 8.5 oz/pair NB Hi Rez Minimus, and so I'd be surprised if a pair weighed so little.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 06-18-13, 06:14 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair of custom-made Earth Runners a few weeks ago and like them very much. They will be going on tour with us. The plan is to use them with platform pedals, probably the removable MKS Urban Platform Ezy Superior pedals, and Power Grips.

Attached Images
File Type: gif
Ultralight2.gif (35.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-18-13, 06:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I just ordered a pair of the Teva Men's 'Mush Frio Lace Canvas shoes. I have a wide foot. They don't offer wide or half sizes so I went up a size. Hope I don't look like Bozo. Snagged them for $20 + $5.60 shipping. I have been looking for a pair of light weight shoes for touring that look halfway decent.Thanks robo for the tip on the other thread.
Old 06-18-13, 06:53 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Uni...=pd_sbs_shoe_4

[h=1]Timberland Unisex 'Radler Trail Camp Boat' Camping Shoe[/h]
Old 06-18-13, 07:07 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I just ordered a pair of the Teva Men's 'Mush Frio Lace Canvas shoes. I have a wide foot. They don't offer wide or half sizes so I went up a size. Hope I don't look like Bozo. Snagged them for $20 + $5.60 shipping. I have been looking for a pair of light weight shoes for touring that look halfway decent.Thanks robo for the tip on the other thread.
If it's any consolation, you'll probably look like a Bozo even if they do fit Seriously though, definitely order a size up or round up anyway like Sierra Trading post stated, I wear a 9-9.5 and the 10's are none too big. After using the Teva's for a while, they are comfy enough for long walks and gave adequate support, unlike what I found with some of the 2-3 oz. lighter running shoes.
Old 06-19-13, 06:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
They may not look too out of place in N. California. The middle of nowhere ND? Probably.

Cheap pair of sandals from Pay Less. Never been denied entry anywhere because my toes were showing.
Old 06-20-13, 12:13 AM
abcDom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asics Piranha.

Simple looking, too.
Old 06-21-13, 02:37 PM
mark03

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After reading the positive comments in other threads, I wanted to try some crocs knock-offs for a Netherlands tour in April. I discovered, though, that Crocs recently won a lawsuit and as a consequence there are no more imitation crocs available in the US, at least not where I live (Seattle). The real thing, being a bit pricey *and* heavier than the imitators, didn't have the same appeal.

I ended up with a pair of Merrill Trail Runner 2's. Wanted some of the new lightweight Keens but they don't fit my narrow feet. I think all of these "barefoot" shoes are pretty similar--lightweight sole with a canvas top. On tour they were just OK, IMO. Definitely not as comfortable to walk around in all day as a pair of sneakers.
Old 06-21-13, 03:11 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by mark03
I discovered, though, that Crocs recently won a lawsuit and as a consequence there are no more imitation crocs available in the US, at least not where I live (Seattle). The real thing, being a bit pricey *and* heavier than the imitators, didn't have the same appeal.
I'd still consider real Crocs.
Old 06-21-13, 06:38 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a pair of Cushe shoes for wearing in the office, but used them on a recent CC tour of the Maine coast. I walked around each evening a couple of miles and found them very comfortable & cool. They are light and fit together to take up little room.

https://www.cushe.com/US/en-US/Produc...-Cushe-Slipper
Old 06-21-13, 09:39 PM
casjr2171

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert (2014) and Specialized Allez (2013)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I'm a really green newbie, but I've been researching shoes compatible w/ SPD's and I found the Bontrager Multisport model 10989 to be what I'm looking for. Have not bought them yet. They look sikilar to theNB shoes you posted. Thought you might want to google them up and see what you think.
Old 06-22-13, 06:37 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
I picked up a pair of Cushe shoes for wearing in the office, but used them on a recent CC tour of the Maine coast. I walked around each evening a couple of miles and found them very comfortable & cool. They are light and fit together to take up little room.

https://www.cushe.com/US/en-US/Produc...-Cushe-Slipper
I tried a pair of those on in the store and the comfort seemed to be amazing. I wonder about the soles though. How are they for traction on wet outdoor surfaces? Also have you worn them enough to get an idea of how well the soles wear.
Old 06-22-13, 08:34 AM
Wheelmonkey

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Expert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a really cheap pair of sandals at Wal-mart and they are very light. Great for wearing around camp and showering. Problem is that they are kind of bulky and don't compact very well, so they take up too much space when I pack. I like some of the above options as they don't look like they'd take up as much room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.