Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Stove/Fuel Combination for South America

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 01:48 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am putting together my South American adventure ride. Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Colombia. Looking for advice on which stove/fuel combo to use. Use will be 1 person, 1 meal a day, plus maybe a cup of tea. Availability of liquid fuel or cartridges primary concern.
Old 01-21-14, 02:36 PM
stephenjubb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
primus omnifuel, burns anything and cannister gas.
Old 01-21-14, 03:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Seems Gasoline is sold world wide..
Old 01-21-14, 03:30 PM
balrog687

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MSR whisperlite universal has good reviews on crazyguyonabike..
Old 01-21-14, 04:17 PM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just used a pocket rocket and a large canister (16 oz/500 gram) for the transam. Only went through half of the thing, and used it maybe every other day for warmer areas, twice a day for colder. Just brought water to a boil most of the time. Let my crew use it too. Ended up giving the canister to another group along the California coast as I was finishing up. Could have brought a normal one and just squeaked it out. I would say a large canister could fit almost anybody's needs for 2-3 months worth of riding. There is a video on youtube of a group packing who brought 3 medium canisters with them on the transam and used one. If you really were worried about it, I would supplement it with a trangia or pop-can alcohol stove and use that when conditions were ideal just for boiling water and such.

I will say that if you plan on cooking pasta, we always chose the quick-boil pasta so it doesn't eat 20 minutes of fuel. I ate ramen just as a filler sometimes, and hot cocoa to warm me up and get a few calories in me for the morning.

If you're a coffee person, I recommend a phin filter.

I also found that for hot cocoa, the GSI cup holds heat really really well. The MSR ti bowl fits a pack of ramen perfectly. Both are light and cheap.

May be more suggestions than you want, but may help others too. : )

I think there are a lot of valid options for stoves, and it's highly dependent on how you plan on eating. I like riding to and visiting local spots more, so cooking wasn't a priority. No stove is also possible, but the colder it is, the more I use mine.
Old 01-21-14, 08:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,443 Times in 992 Posts
MSR Whisperlite international at a minimum. Sicne you mention going to Bolivia, I'd really consider spending the extra dollars for an MSR XGK - it burns just about any available fuel (gasoline, kerosene, diesel, alcohol, white gas (can sometimes be bought off of dry cleaners) so you'll be covered wherever you are. Also take or buy some coffee filters - you'll need them for the diesel fuel down there (it can have gunk in it that'll block a stove's fuel lines), and it wouldn't be a bad idea for the kerosene, even the gasoline.
Old 01-22-14, 06:06 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I havnt been to the Americas so no idea about what fuel is available.
Here in Australia I use and am very happy with my Trangia which is a alochol cookset.

I've recently bought a Primus Omnilite due to its ability to burn liquid fuels as well as being able to use gas canisters.
This has some advantages over the Trangia in that I can use my stove top espresso machine and is faster to boil water. Sometimes I'm a little impatient for my cuppa tea or coffee.
I understand there is also a kit so I can utilise the Omnilite burner with my Trangia.

For short trips I tend to take my MSR Pocket Rocket which is a gas canister stove that is small and lightweight.
If I was looking for a stove to replace the Pocket Rocket now, it would be the Kovea Spider which appears a smaller package, lighter and in use much more stable than the MSR unit.
Old 01-22-14, 11:31 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by stephenjubb
primus omnifuel, burns anything and cannister gas.
I like the Omnifuel, but I would not recommend it for Diesel Number 2. I have not tried Diesel number 1, but that is closer to kerosene so that should work fine.

If you use a stove with kerosene or similar fuel, it is a good idea to use a priming fuel with a lower flashpoint to warm up the generator, for that I prefer a methanol type fuel. In USA I buy yellow heat (gas line de-icer) for priming fuel.

I have not been to South America, thus I do not know what I would use for a priming fuel down there.
Old 01-22-14, 11:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

MSR Dragon Fly is something you can actually cook with, as it simmers at reduced heat,

where their others are pretty much full-on or off.. they do have a 2nd Kero Jet.
the 2nd needle valve at the burner lets you turn it down.

the burner is like the XGK, but the fuel line is much smaller.. and flexes .. to pack .
if it clogs the cable down the center can be pulled and cleaned ..

Yea trucks, Busses and Boats that Run off Diesel have 2 fuel filters to catch crud in the fuel..
Old 01-22-14, 02:31 PM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it was just Chile and Arg I'd go with whatever is compatible with the cannisters "DOITE" is pushing.

Have you though about an Alcohol stove? 88%+ non human alcohol is easy to come.
Old 01-22-14, 02:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
I havnt been to the Americas so no idea about what fuel is available.
Here in Australia I use and am very happy with my Trangia which is a alochol cookset.

. . . .
No. 1 on the Trangia
Old 01-22-14, 03:03 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Seems Gasoline is sold world wide..
Do you also use a kerosene heater in your house?
Old 01-22-14, 03:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Do you also use a kerosene heater in your house?
nope, Do You ?

North West Natural Gas runs a Pipe thru a Meter to my house.

if not theres LPG a minor jetting change . and buying a Big tank ,

or shuttling round small ones for refills

Or I can start stacking up firewood in the yard and replace the Jotul stove.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-27-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 06:49 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
MSR Whisperlite international at a minimum. Sicne you mention going to Bolivia, I'd really consider spending the extra dollars for an MSR XGK - it burns just about any available fuel (gasoline, kerosene, diesel, alcohol, white gas (can sometimes be bought off of dry cleaners) so you'll be covered wherever you are. Also take or buy some coffee filters - you'll need them for the diesel fuel down there (it can have gunk in it that'll block a stove's fuel lines), and it wouldn't be a bad idea for the kerosene, even the gasoline.
+1 When I travel outside the U.S., I take my XGK. I've fed it some of the dirtiest fuels you can imagine, often without filtering, and it's never let me down. I do travel with an MSR rebuild kit though, just in case, and do try to filter fuel whenever possible.
Old 01-23-14, 09:22 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezalel
I'd go with one of the MSR WhisperLites.

The base model will burn camping fuel/gasoline.
The international model adds kerosene/diesel.
The universal model adds isobutene.

I never saw the point of the universal model as there are better and smaller isobutene stoves.
Are you sure the Wisperlites burn Diesel? Website does not lost that as a fuel. Interested as I have one I use white gas here in the US.

I also suppose the Universal burning isobutane is a plus since you only carry one stove.
Old 01-23-14, 09:29 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/846334/bi...ning-campstove
Old 01-23-14, 09:58 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of MSR since we met a cyclist in Central America who had a pump failure and MSR sent him a replacement by Fedex free. Great company.

We've used the MSR Dragonfly on our tours and have had good luck with it. It simmers beautifully but it is loud and it is not a great idea to cook indoor with it. For our next tour we'll be using a Whisperlite Universal. I love the fact that it can use canisters for quiet hotel room cooking and switch over to petrol for middle-of-nowhere cooking.
Old 01-23-14, 10:45 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Are you sure the Wisperlites burn Diesel? Website does not lost that as a fuel. Interested as I have one I use white gas here in the US.
I made a mistake the discontinued Internationale would burn diesel and jet fuel, the current International does not. Also it looks like they removed gasoline from the base (Shaker Jet) model so I can no longer recommend them.

Last edited by Bezalel; 01-23-14 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 03:26 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I sent Cascade Designs the following:

The discontinued WhisperLite Internationale listed diesel as a compatible fuel but the current International and Universal models no longer list it. Has diesel been removed as a compatible fuel?
And their response was:

Diesel still works in these stoves, however we no longer recommend that folks use it. It tends to clog the fuel line pretty quickly, especially if the stove isn’t maintained regularly. We recommend burning diesel in our XGK and Dragonfly models as they have a larger fuel line so it’s not clogged as easily. Let me know if you have any more questions!