Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Yet another Klickfix / Ortlieb thread

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 07:06 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I have seen a number of threads (maybe even one started by me ) on using the Kickfix system with the Ortlieb handle bar bags. It is supposed to work but I am just not seeing it or maybe I missed something.

It is supposed to work with the Classic?? My bag has sort of a square block on the back of the bag it slides into a slot on the bracket that attaches to the handlebar. When I look at pictures of the Klickfix I see a flat surface. No slot for the block on my bag.

How is this supposed to work or does it work on Ortlieb bags other than the Classic? Or is there a specific type of KickFix mount that I need?

The bracket I really like is the NEW CADDY horizontal mount.

Dahon Bags and Luggage

It is advertised for Dahnon but I am don't see a reason why it can't work on other types of bikes.
Old 04-28-14, 07:37 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Spinnaker,

I just went into the garage and tried my wife's Ortlieb Ultimate bar bag from her touring rig on her town bike which has a Klickfix mount. It took a little to figure out how it fit, but it does fit. The mount on the Ultimate bar bag is the same one as the one on my classic. What is wrong with using the Ortlieb mount?
Old 04-28-14, 07:48 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Doug64
Spinnaker,

I just went into the garage and tried my wife's Ortlieb Ultimate bar bag from her touring rig on her town bike which has a Klickfix mount. It took a little to figure out how it fit, but it does fit. The mount on the Ultimate bar bag is the same one as the one on my classic. What is wrong with using the Ortlieb mount?
Thanks for trying it out.

A couple reasons. I hate that cable mount on the Ortlieb! I have my mount mounted to a second stem. It makes moving it from bike to bike SO easy. Plus I safe all of that handlebar real estate for GPS and lights.

I like that stem mount that Kickfix has, Saves the weight of a second stem.

Do you see my confusion on the mount? All of the pictures I see the Klickfix has a flat front. My Ortlieb mount has an indent. I can try and post pics tomorrow of what I mean but if you have one you might know what I mean about the indent or slot on the mount itself.
Old 04-28-14, 07:59 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Spinnaker,

Also I thought I read on Wayne's site the the Ultimate and Classic are indeed different. Maybe they are close enough for klickfix purposes?

But what I am seeing in all of the Klickfix mount pics I see the mount is almost the opposite of what I need to fit the Ortlieb. At least that is the way it looks to me. That is why I am confused.
Old 04-28-14, 08:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Maybe my confusion is the way the Ortieb mounts on the Klickfix? With full Ortlieb system the bag slides pretty much straight down into the slot on the bracket.

Is the mounting maneuver different with the Klickfix? Maybe snaps straight ono the front?
Old 04-28-14, 08:33 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Here is a pic of the Ultimate mount

Here is a pic of the classic mount

The Ultimate looks much closer to the Kickfix

Old 04-28-14, 08:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a Ulti 3 roll closed bar bag the one mount is on one bike .. I have a KF on another bike and the bag works there too.

Top hooks on the KF mount, they will hook into the top of the slide slots on the bag side,

then swing it down open the catch hook at the bottom, and it will hold it.

I have a KF basket It has a wire ring around it with a square wave like bend in it .. same sort of thing over the hooks on the top
with the spring hook engaging the bottom loop in the wire ..

So difference, I guess its the swinging around the top hook vs the straight down motion ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-28-14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:35 PM
Doug64

KF also has a cable to secure it. It is about the same hassle as the Ortlieb.

I'd go with what Wayne said. The newer Ultimate mount does look a lot different. However it looks similar the the Klickfix.

Her bag is a circa 2007. I was pretty sure it was an Ultimate. It has different fabric than my classic, and has little mesh side pockets. But, our mounts are the same.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-29-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 06:04 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Doug,

Sorry for being so dense. You were able to take your Classic bag and put it on your wife's Klickfix mount? You mentioned above that you tried her ultimate on the klickfix. I need to know if the classic will go on the klickfix.

Excuse my persistence. Maybe it is just the angle or something but the classic mount looks totally different than the klickfix mount.

But it still works?

BTW Klickfix offers a new mount that goes on the stem. It is for Dahnon bikes but appears it would work anywaher.
Old 04-29-14, 09:28 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Doug,

Sorry for being so dense. You were able to take your Classic bag and put it on your wife's Klickfix mount? You mentioned above that you tried her ultimate on the klickfix. I need to know if the classic will go on the klickfix.

Excuse my persistence. Maybe it is just the angle or something but the classic mount looks totally different than the klickfix mount.

But it still works? Yes, but not without some wiggling. Push the latch on the mount as the bag is placed on it. The rectangular protrusion on the Klickfix fits into the indentation on the bag mount.

BTW Klickfix offers a new mount that goes on the stem. It is for Dahnon bikes but appears it would work anywaher.
I just tried my Classic on the KIickfix and it does work. It was a pain though. The top has to be open and it took a little fiddling to get it latched. However, it seemed secure once I got it on. I am sort of handicapped right now. I have recently had shoulder surgery and am still essentially one-handed. It might go a little easier with both hands. My typing also sucks

Last edited by Doug64; 04-29-14 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 05:10 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I just tried my Classic on the KIickfix and it does work. It was a pain though. The top has to be open and it took a little fiddling to get it latched. However, it seemed secure once I got it on. I am sort of handicapped right now. I have recently had shoulder surgery and am still essentially one-handed. It might go a little easier with both hands. My typing also sucks
Thanks a bunch Doug for trying it. Especially considering your handicap. Hope you get better real soon. I know shoulder pain. I was lucky enough to get out of it with therapy only.

I'm thinking I might opt for the second stem. I found an ATS NVO stem on eBay for $26. It would be a no hassle with the bag and would give me the same setup I have been using for years now. I wish Ortlieb would give more options to attach a bag. That stem mount Klickfix has looks really interesting,, You can even mount it on your seat post.
Old 05-03-14, 12:58 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Ortlieb Ultimate mounts to my Klickfix easily and securely. No more fiddly than on an Ortlieb mount. No lock. No drama.
Old 05-03-14, 10:36 PM
Dc5e

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh RX, 1996 Raleigh M60

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received a Klickfix mount I purchased from velofred. I also received a little 10% coupon code card from them with the code "VeloFred". Not sure if it'll work for everyone but it's worth a try if anyone is going to order from them. Originally I was going to order a Ortlieb bag and Klickfix mount from Wayne (who's been extremely helpful) at TheTouringStore.com but he told me he's unable to stock them anymore. My bag is on the way though.
Old 05-04-14, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

the Ortlieb bag will come with one mount, included ... theirs, of course. ..
Old 05-07-14, 07:11 PM
ekibayno
Sage

Bikes: Chesini Precision 84, Kuota Kredo, Sabbath Silk Route, Van Nicholas Pioneer,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultimate bag on a Klickfix mount with extender. What's the drama? The wire is only to stop the mount from rotating around the bar. It's a piece of cake to fit, unlike the Ortlieb wire attachment method.

If you are masochistic enough to persist with the Ortlieb mount, you could try one of these Thorn Extender Bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010343.JPG (66.3 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by ekibayno; 05-07-14 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 07:37 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by ekibayno
Ultimate bag on a Klickfix mount with extender. What's the drama?

How many times have I mentioned in the thread that I don't have a Ultimate, I have a classic?
Old 05-07-14, 07:59 PM
ekibayno
Sage

Bikes: Chesini Precision 84, Kuota Kredo, Sabbath Silk Route, Van Nicholas Pioneer,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many times have I mentioned in the thread that I don't have a Ultimate, I have a classic?
Yes, you do have an Ultimate - you have an Ultimate 5 Classic (vinyl). I have an Ultimate 5 Plus (Cordura). There is no difference in the mounts for these bags. Mine was supplied with the mount you posted as "Classic". It went immediately in the bin and the Klickfix mount was fitted.

The "Ultimate" mount you posted above is the redesigned mount supplied with the Ultimate 6.

Once again, what is the drama?

Last edited by ekibayno; 05-07-14 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added
Old 05-07-14, 08:05 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by ekibayno
Yes, you do have an Ultimate - you have an Ultimate 5 Classic (vinyl). I have an Ultimate 5 Plus (Cordura). There is no difference in the mounts for these bags. Mine was supplied with the mount you posted as "Classic". It went immediately in the bin and the Klickfix mount was fitted.

The "Ultimate" mount you posted above is the redesigned mount supplied with the Ultimate 6.

Once again, what is the drama?
If you go to Wayne's site he mentions there is indeed a difference between the two mounts. He is pretty much the expert on Ortlieb in my book.

And I have the Classic. My bag says nothing about Ultimate.
Old 05-07-14, 08:11 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I nearly sent back my klickfix mounts because they looks so different from the Ortlieb version. It took a while to figure out that it does indeed work. Since I have both the Ultimate 6 and a classic handlebar bag from 2005 I showed them both here....

.be
Old 05-07-14, 08:17 PM
ekibayno
Sage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you go to Wayne's site he mentions there is indeed a difference between the two mounts. He is pretty much the expert on Ortlieb in my book.

And I have the Classic. My bag says nothing about Ultimate.
Sigh! Well let's take it a step further. You have one of these. Notice the comment by Ortlieb?

Bag also fits onto KLICKfix mounting by Rixen&Kaul.
I have established the Ultimate 5 bag, which is supplied with the mount you tagged as classic (the Ultimate 5 mount), fits on the Klickfix mount, and I have supplied a photo to prove this.

Now, let's go see what Ortlieb has to say about the mount you tagged as Ultimate (the Ultimate 6 Mount).

Completely re-developed adapter for fixing Ultimate handlebar bags and all bags and baskets featuring the Klickfix system by Rixen & Kaul.
Furthermore, the bag does not slide onto the mount. It hooks onto the two lugs on either side at the top. The bottom of the bag is then pushed in to engage the catch.

Quite plainly, any of the three mounts can be used.

Last edited by ekibayno; 05-07-14 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-10-14, 03:49 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Losligato
I nearly sent back my klickfix mounts because they looks so different from the Ortlieb version. It took a while to figure out that it does indeed work. Since I have both the Ultimate 6 and a classic handlebar bag from 2005 I showed them both here....

.be
Thanks for the video Losligato. Mine does look like the classic mount you have in the video. As you said it does not look like it should work but it does for some reason.
Old 05-10-14, 03:58 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Furthermore, the bag does not slide onto the mount. It hooks onto the two lugs on either side at the top. The bottom of the bag is then pushed in to engage the catch.

Quite plainly, any of the three mounts can be used.[/QUOTE]

Well that is the way I mount mine. I can't do it any other why with the Ortleb mount. But as Losligato shows the Klickfix seems to me mounted differently. How it mounts an actually stays on is a mystery to me. I think I might just go buy one and take the chance an see.

I purchase a 2nd stem. Got one really cheap on eBay. After getting it I realized I would need to undo the Ortlieb mount anyway to get it off of my old stem.

I have an NVO stem on my Jamis. So either I chuck it and replace with a standard stem or I get the Klickfix mount that I posted above. One of the great benefits of a 2nd stem was being able to easily move it from bike to bike but with this NVO thread it is no longer that easy.
Old 05-11-14, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Klick fix uses a Bent wire bag support as well .. I got one of those and adapted an Ortlieb Camera bag (prior model )

it will work on bags with side tunnels , like the older Eclipse and Kirtland and I think Berthoud also