Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Clothing What to wear for a long tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 09:43 AM
Binnet

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After much research still not been able to come to a good conclusion on what to wear I have completed four tours of about 500 km each in the last year but soon it's time to leave on a really long one, 1-5 months...

When it comes to gear I got it all pretty much down but still comes the question of what to wear, especially basic layers and questions relating to hygiene and camping.
Since my previous tours have been 4-8 days I have been able to carry as many changes As I needed pretty much. But for extended touring space is more scarce and am am not sure what access I'll have to facilities such as showers etc.

Please tell we what you wear and how you deal with hygiene and washing What I am most puzzled about is jerseys, shorts (and liners), briefs, socks, etc. as there seems to be many varying opinions on this matter.
I need to get some clothes before I leave as I am tossing the old smelly dry-fit running shirts (I got for free) I have been using. Until now I have been riding in mostly cheap synthetic material clothing and seamless briefs.
Old 06-02-13, 10:16 AM
Binnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should maybe add that I will be touring west/southern in the summer then heading over to Korea later Taiwan and finally down to South East Asia. So my concern is not really with staying warm but not getting soaked in sweat and smelly...
Old 06-02-13, 11:35 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightweight, vented quick dry polyester or nylon that billows slightly in the wind but protects you from the sun. A few pairs of padded underwear bottoms.

Scrub while showering in the evening and hang to dry overnight.

https://www.vwvagabonds.com/Bike/BikeClothing.html
Attached Images
Old 06-02-13, 01:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a NorthFace LS polo shirt from their Tekware collection
advantage to the collar to flip up and take the sun off the back of my Neck.
I have a yellow shirt of the poly too.. Long sleeve..

I bring surgeons antibacterial scrub soap, and wash my sit skin with it soas to keep the bacteria count down
as those everpresent ones are what makes the real problems.

& 3 pair of shorts to have a clean pair daily.. .. Chamois is no longer goat skin in bike shorts.

No experience in Tropical climates , never go there.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-13 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 01:57 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd start with 2 or 3 changes of everything, wash and wear syn mostly, except socks/underwear. Cotton for me. Replace as needed.

In warm climates, you can wash and wear outer layers as they'll dry fast. The cotten items, when rolled up and thoroughly squeezed in a towel, will dry much quicker on the back of the bike.

As for hygiene, basics can be managed with wipes. Shower when available. If you're concerned about skin bacteria in sensitive areas, you can pour a little bleach into the wipes package. Strong bactericidal/fungicidal agent. Not normally anything to be too concerned about.
Old 06-03-13, 10:17 AM
Binnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, good point about long sleeved shirt. I am sensitive to sun so I guess a collared long-armed jersey is the way to go.

I guess some kinds or wipes could be gotten cheaply almost anywhere. A sleeping bag liner also seems like a good idea.
Old 06-03-13, 10:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We take no cotton at all. 2 synthetic short sleeve bike jerseys, 2 Lycra bike shorts, 1 nylon long sleeve shirt, 1 nylon running shorts, 1 synthetic leg warmers, 1 synthetic arm warmers, 1 thin synthetic undershirt, 1 wool socks, 1 synthetic socks, 1 PackTowl, 1 synthetic wind vest, 1 very light synthetic wind jacket, 1 light long finger bike gloves, 2 short finger bike gloves (different models). We wash every day or two, depending on location and weather. Small soap and shampoo. No wipes, no anti-bacterials, no antiperspirants.
Old 06-03-13, 11:58 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How does merino wool fare in steamy tropical conditions? I really love it for cool temperate climates but I can imagine it having a hard time in the tropics.
I have tried bamboo fabric, a cellulose based fibre like rayon. It is really comfortable but slow to dry, however many people rave about it for sports.
Old 06-03-13, 02:36 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I wash my clothes every evening. There's almost always a shower or a sink.

I wear

cycling cap
bandana
long sleeve zip neck shirt, Capiline Techwick etc.
padded underwear
nylon shorts with pockets
merino wool socks
recessed SPD shoes.

Carry
1 long sleeve zip neck shirt (Capiline etc)
1 rain jacket
1 padded underwear
1 pair zip off trousers
1 pair merino socks
1 pair light weight off shoes (kung fu shoes)
1 pair gloves

if I anticipate colder weather I'll include

1 insulating jacket (Marmot Driclime, fleece, synthetic down.)
1 balaclava
1 pair nylon leggings

Last edited by nun; 06-03-13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 09:24 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
In tropical temperatures, my recommendation is to forget about socks completely and ride in SPD sandals. The ones that Shimano makes are stiffer than the Bike Nashbar ones, extremely comfortable, and I find I can climb quite well in them. I've never used the Keene sandals, but have heard good things about those, too.

That's one less item to have to wash, though I do put socks over my water bottles to keep them cool in hot weather.

I also have a large variety of synthetic arm warmer/sun shields in many colors they sell at the dollar store. For some odd reason, they call them "ladies knee socks", but they become arm warmers when I cut the toes out--they are pretty much the same thing I see sold as sun shields at the outdoor store for $25.

Last edited by stevepusser; 06-03-13 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 04:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
For a longish tour ...

Bottoms:

-- 2 pair padded cycling shorts
-- 1 pair leg warmers
-- 1 pair basketball shorts (which could be worn on or off the bicycle)
-- 2 pair stretchy capris pants (which could be worn on or off the bicycle)
-- 1 pair convertible pants ... zip off (which could be worn on or off the bicycle)
-- 1 pair tights (Target/K-mart/Big-W ... inexpensive stretch workout tights) (which could be worn on or off the bicycle)
-- 2-3 pair of underwear

I had all that with me on our recent 8-month RTW trip, plus a third pair of cycling shorts. I don't think I'd bring a third pair of cycling shorts in the future, but maybe a second pair of basketball shorts.

[HR][/HR]

Tops:

-- a few wicking T-shirts
-- a couple long sleeved tops (1 polypro, 1 merino wool)
-- a fleece jacket
-- a couple sports bras
-- a wind vest
-- a rain jacket
-- a down jacket
-- a rain poncho

I did have 1 sleeveless jersey with me on our RTW trip, but I don't think I'd bring it in the future. I used to carry jerseys on long(ish) tours, and have been gradually reducing the number I carry. I suspect there won't be any on my next long(ish) tour. There's really no point to bringing a jersey ... a wicking T-shirt is much more versatile.

One additional top I think I'd bring in the future would be a lightweight, loose, long-sleeved, button-up, cotton/poly blend shirt.

[HR][/HR]

And Footwear:

-- a couple pair of heavier wool socks, 1 pair of lightweight cashmere or angora socks, and 1 pair of lightweight nylon/cotton/maybe bamboo blend socks.
-- 1 pair of sandals
-- 1 pair of mtn bike cycling shoes which I can also walk in

And, of course, my sarong which can be used as a sheet in my sleeping bag, a piece of clothing while everything else is in the wash, or a towel.
Old 06-04-13, 08:10 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I'm big merino wool fan. It works well in a large range of temperatures and its no-stink attribute is amazing.

1 keen mountain sandals w/ cleats
1 under armour hi-viz T
1 endura baggy shorts w/ belt
2 nishiki padded shorts
3 wool short socks

For Warmth:
1 icebreaker merino wool top
1 icebreaker merino wool leggings
1 under armour cap
1 icebreaker merino wool fleece top
1 icebreaker merino wool pants
1 patagonia down sweater vest
Old 06-04-13, 10:34 AM
Binnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the tips coming! This is great for getting an itea of both what to carry and it what numbers, it seems that what I have been considering so far is not too far off then:

Interesting point about the bamboo fabric, never heard of that but traditionally they have made fabrics from a kind of reed in Japan for summer wear with a cool touch, these are expensive though.

I see your point about T-Shirts rather then jerseys, but the fact that Jerseys tend to have that collar and the ability to zip up and down, I think, is a great addition.

When it comes to shoes I ride in a pair of Shimano M077 Mountain bike SPD shoes, they work great for walking too, and I have hiked up and down a few mountains with them (the cleats are hence kind of worn out...). A lot of people have mentioned sandals. My problem however is my shoe size, at 49 (that's about US size 14 I guess) my choices are very limited and Shimano is one of the few brands that go up that high and they only do it for a few models. Added to that living in Japan even if they are made finding a place to buy them are an on-line shop that both stocks them and ships abroad is really tricky hehe... I also carry a pair of flip-flops or as someone mentioned above a pair of light fabric wushu (kung-fu) shoes.
I see they make the " Shimano SD66L MTB SPD Shoes " in size 49 but a pair of these actually weigh more than my full size shoes. Thinking about it but I still haven't found a place where I can get them.

Rest of the items I intend to purchase:

BOTTOMS
- 1 Pair of Endura shorts
- 1 Pair of Endura 3/4 pants
- 2 Pars of padded bike liners (included in the two above items) - QUESTION never worn this before, does anyone have an experiece with liners? Is it suggested to wear regular briefs or somethign unnderneath or are they a replacement for that. Gonna have to buy them online so Not exactly sure what they look like (excuse my ignorance)

TOPS
- 2 Tops - not sure exactly which to get yet (I'll try going to a few shops next weekend to try some on)
- A light long sleeved sweater for running

FOOTWEAR
- *Shimano M077 Mountain bike SPD shoes
- 2 Pairs of socks (I've had a lot of problem with pain in toes even though I have worn seamless socks, not sure why still so need to get to the bottom of this) Considering getting a pair of " Royal Trail Socks 2013 "
- *Sandals or light fabcric shoes

HEADWEAR
- Helmet
- A cap (maaaaybe...)

OTHER
- Gloves
- *Rain proof tops and bottoms (lightweight set about 300g together)

* Items I already own

Did I forget anything? Also what do you recommend for washing, I guess I need to get one of those things that you plug up the sink with so you can fill it with water (e.g. at public restrooms). And some kind or detergent, I've seem something that looked like a soap bar, anyone ever used this?
Old 06-04-13, 10:46 AM
Binnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Keen Commuter II (the sandal you mentioned) seems interesting but I can't seem to find any information of what size it iss available in.
Old 06-04-13, 09:26 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I got my Shimano Sandals for half price ($50) here: https://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/prod...ls-68914-1.htm

I got the last set of 43-44, and love'em. I see the largest they have is 47-48, but sandal size is a bit "sloppy" and you probably would be just fine with that. Bicycle Warehouse is local here in San Diego, but maybe they ship worldwide.

It seems that the largest size Keene makes is US 13, Nashbar's Ragster II also tops out at 47-48
Old 06-05-13, 11:50 AM
Binnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano make a 49 but I can only get a 47/48 at the store. I usually buy from CRC as shipping to Japan is free a pair is 94 bucks though ... =( If I can try them before buying them online (in some local shop I might still consider it)