Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Television Commercial with Bike Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 10:52 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few weeks ago we filmed a vignette-style commercial for Nationwide where we explained how we retired early and continue to fund our trips. The second half of the commercial includes some shots of us on our fully loaded bikes cycling through Earthquake Canyon near Joshua Tree. They used an amazing octocopter drone cinema camera to get the overheads.

Old 05-06-14, 10:56 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Awesome!
Old 05-06-14, 11:30 AM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I understand this idea-I just wish I could get my wife to understand this concept. If both spouses don't get it, (understand how it's done) it will fail. great for you guys! I am envious but working on getting there too.
Old 05-06-14, 11:40 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Losligato;16733586]A few weeks ago we filmed a vignette-style commercial for Nationwide where we explained how we retired early and continue to fund our trips. The second half of the commercial includes some shots of us on our fully loaded bikes cycling through Earthquake Canyon near Joshua Tree. They used an amazing octocopter drone cinema camera to get the overheads.

That looks like it was a hoot. How many takes?

Brad
Old 05-06-14, 11:55 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This was really inspiring. My girlfriend and I (early 20's) are starting to talk about what our life looks like after grad school, etc. She is going to love this.
Old 05-06-14, 11:58 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brad, that was two days of shooting. The cycling footage took a full afternoon.

Sailor, I agree. We both know that we hit the jackpot when we found one another. She is far more adventurous than me. I am always worried about what is going to go wrong. She has the confidence that things will work out. Fortunately, we are both fully on-board with saving.
Old 05-06-14, 11:59 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
This was really inspiring. My girlfriend and I (early 20's) are starting to talk about what our life looks like after grad school, etc. She is going to love this.
Two people working together toward the same goal is exponentially more powerful than one. It is good that you are plotting the course together
Old 05-06-14, 05:55 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Losligato
Two people working together toward the same goal is exponentially more powerful than one. It is good that you are plotting the course together

You are really blessed that you have someone in your life that not only shares your interest but is capable of sharing that interest.

I really like the video. Great pose from the both of you. You looked like pros. How did you hook up with them? Did you work for them? Did you pitch the idea to someone?
Old 05-06-14, 07:15 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
You are really blessed that you have someone in your life that not only shares your interest but is capable of sharing that interest.

I really like the video. Great pose from the both of you. You looked like pros. How did you hook up with them? Did you work for them? Did you pitch the idea to someone?
Thanks! I have to admit, I am not exactly sure how they found us. It could have been through our website. They contacted us and asked if we'd be interested. Initially we were skeptical. After doing a little research we reluctantly agreed. We figured it would be two kids and a camera showing up. Then we spoke with the director (who won an emmy for a documentary) and realized it would be a little more involved. We are really pleased with how it turned out.
Old 05-07-14, 06:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Awesome. I did a mini version of that when I was 34. I begged to get downsized in the wake of a corporate takeover. The deal had to get federal regulatory approval, which was going to take at least 18 months. During that time, I saved as much money as I could to go along with the severance I would receive if I got canned. My wish was granted and I ended up taking nearly two years off from the working world. During that time I took three long bike tours and pursued other interests. I have never regretted the money or career advancement potential I sacrificed.