Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Gasgas MTB?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 01:53 AM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

G'day all,

Does anyone have any experiences with Gasgas Ebikes? I am looking at an ECA 3 which is at the bottom of thier E bike range but at the top of my budget range lol.
Gasgas ECA3. I'm getting a bit older these days and the ebike is looking pretty good. I can buy a car for the cost of these things though lol. I'm looking to do local trails and urban Mountain Biking. No big jumps or anything technical. Still toying with the idea of a non-ebike as well. Most of my riding these days is on my drop bar touring bike. I haven't been on a MTB since the 90's but it looks like fun.
Thank you!

DA
Old 05-18-24, 10:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,830 Posts
Wasn't a huge fan of Yamaha motors and their support left us a little to be desired. I haven't had any time with GasGas so couldn't tell you about them specifically but I know Yamaha e-bike motors are not ones I would personally consider though the PW-X3 on paper has good numbers but actual practice and long term maybe not so much. However that specific bike has decent parts on it though is quite long travel for what you are doing. It is certainly more enduro focused than a trail bike.

In terms of buying a car for the price of an e-bike you can compare a number to a number and you can have two numbers that can be exactly the same but that doesn't translate to the other aspects of your proposition. A similar cost e-bike is not at all close in anyway aside from a pure numerical standpoint to a car of that same number. For instance my 11K Riese und Müller Supercharger2 Rohloff HS is more like a Range Rover in that it is very nice and very well appointed and super comfortable but also quite capable both on and off road with generally good quality parts throughout. That 11k car is going to be a pretty budget car with probably loads of problems or few features.

My final thoughts would be go out and test some different bikes and especially different motors. I am a huge fan of Bosch for many reasons but their support and longevity are two of the biggest ones. I also love the SL line from Specialized, nice and light closer to your regular bikes than a bigger heavier e-bike so less assist but a lot less weight. Also Brose makes some great motors though they are internally belt driven so that belt or the sprague clutch can sometimes wear out but at least in the case of Specialized they would replace it no problem usually with a new motor or new parts if out of warranty and the shop was qualified. I don't recall Brose's stance on belt replacement because we didn't do a whole lot of non-Spesh Brose motors and we dropped a lot of those lines shortly after I became warranty manager.

The Fazua motor also looks promising but I haven't had time on one of those yet sadly but another lightweight motor similar to the SL motor but made by a different German company. Also would say Shimano has excellent support but I have had minimal time on the newer EP8 motors but I did not love some of their other motors personally but that one seems like it is a proper improvement and to be fair the bikes I tried with Shimano have mostly been meh hybrids so not really fair.

I would also so maybe consider a hardtail with a Kinekt seatpost that could get you a pretty sweet machine.
Old 05-18-24, 03:33 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cheers Vegan,

I appreciate your insight, especially on the Yamaha motor. I went into the shop to look at a Scott Genius 940 and got caught up with the beautiful red Gasgas lol. Shiny things you know.

DA
Likes For Dark Arrow:
Old 05-18-24, 04:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
Cheers Vegan,

I appreciate your insight, especially on the Yamaha motor. I went into the shop to look at a Scott Genius 940 and got caught up with the beautiful red Gasgas lol. Shiny things you know.

DA
No worries, happy to help : )

I gotcha I mean Kashima coating is easy to get excited over. It is not terrible overall but I would certainly try the bike and see what you think.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-18-24, 07:46 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
I have a Yamaha equipped Haibike and the motor has functioned perfectly for seven years. I added a Kashima coated Fox fork, and IMO it's just gaudy although it may eventually prove superior to the low end Rock Shox on my pedal bike. I can't comment on the Gasgas since I've never even seen one in socal, but watch out for the hype.

Last edited by 2old; 05-19-24 at 09:21 AM.
Likes For 2old: