Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Look 454 bike,need help please!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Look 454 bike,need help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 08:33 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
My comment was aimed at some of the other members responding who were saying it's a track bike that someone converted.
It would seem they are basing that odd line of explanation based on getting hits for the 464 model. There isn't anything else reasonable to base the idea that it might have been a track bike.

It didn't make sense for them to do down the unsupported "track bike" path. It doesn't make much sense to provide any encouragement to continue down that path.

I completely agree with you on that. That's my assessment too.
Note that, while I replied to you, I am hoping other people read what I wrote.

What I'm saying is people should reconsider talking about "track bikes" at all (since there's nothing that indicates "track bikes" are relevant).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-23 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-18-23, 08:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The Look 454 model designation seems to refer to a track bike, not a road bike as pictured.
Why does it seem to refer to a track bike? Nothing shows up for a 454 Look model.

Show your work!
Old 07-18-23, 09:41 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4981 Post(s)
Liked 8,146 Times in 3,854 Posts
My comment was aimed at some of the other members responding who were saying it's a track bike that someone converted.
I'm not seeing where anyone actually claimed/suggested that it was a converted track bike. The reference to a track bike was a related to a similarity in model number to a track bike, and further confirmation that no one can verify that this bike is actually a Look-built bike.
Old 07-18-23, 09:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by big john
The welding around the BB looks terrible. Makes me wonder if it was repaired there or if Look just sold the thing like that.
Aluminum is not generally repairable in the same way that steel is, due to the need for heat-treating. What it looks like to me is that the welds on the head tube and seat tube joints were filled and filed to look pretty, but the welds at the bottom bracket - which are less visible behind the crankset - were left rough to save on labor. I recall seeing other frames like this in the early-2000 era.
Old 07-18-23, 10:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Agreed. Nothing against the modern stuff but for $4-$500 (or whatever this one is priced at), you get a very rideable bike. Wasn't that long ago when people raced bikes like that; it's not like my local crit course has changed much (or at all) over the last 15 years.
I have 2 bikes in my stable that were my race bikes 20-ish years ago. One has 9-speed Dura Ace (7700), the other has 10-speed Dura Ace (7900 - first gen of hidden cables). The 9-speed one shifts smoother and crisper than the 10-speed, and both are a bit better than the Campy 11-speed on my newest road bike.

As long as the frame of the bike in the OP is structurally sound, and otherwise undamaged, it probably rides just fine. For a cheap price, it's a good deal (IMO).