Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1986 Five Speed Pipeline 5 Peugeot Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 02:05 PM
Fasucci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to buy this one in good working condition with new commuter tires. Does anyone know what a fair price (USD) would be and what to look for before buying it? I am a newbie at this. I searched for related posts, but no exact match. Any help is appreciated!

Picture can be seen from the visitor message of my profile. Can't post any image otherwise until I have more posts...

Last edited by Fasucci; 03-01-22 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-03-22, 07:12 AM
Fasucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, so I went and checked out the bike. It seemed to be in good shape and felt comfortable riding it, so I picked it up! I will be posting more pictures in the next couple of days, so I can get some input on how to service it. The main thing I see right away is that the brakes are a little mushy. Also, it says "Made in Taiwan". Is this normal for a 1986 Peugeot? Thanks again!
Old 03-03-22, 10:15 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasucci
Alright, so I went and checked out the bike. It seemed to be in good shape and felt comfortable riding it, so I picked it up! I will be posting more pictures in the next couple of days, so I can get some input on how to service it. The main thing I see right away is that the brakes are a little mushy. Also, it says "Made in Taiwan". Is this normal for a 1986 Peugeot? Thanks again!
Yes, it would be expected that it was made in Taiwan. Like a lot of brands nowadays, the names are bought and sold. Therefore there may be little connection to the original brand or company. This looks like a good cruiser style bike that should be a good all around bike. Is this a 5 speed?

We are looking forward to pictures.
Old 03-03-22, 11:15 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I repped for Peugeot in the '80s and they sourced bikes from Taiwan and Canada as well as making them in their own factories in France. The parent company later sold the bicycle branch to BH of Spain.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-04-22, 10:14 PM
Fasucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Yes, it would be expected that it was made in Taiwan. Like a lot of brands nowadays, the names are bought and sold. Therefore there may be little connection to the original brand or company. This looks like a good cruiser style bike that should be a good all around bike. Is this a 5 speed?

We are looking forward to pictures.
Thank you! I'll be posting pictures as soon as I'm allowed. I'm still a couple of posts short to qualify. It is a 5-speed indeed.
Old 03-04-22, 10:17 PM
Fasucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I repped for Peugeot in the '80s and they sourced bikes from Taiwan and Canada as well as making them in their own factories in France. The parent company later sold the bicycle branch to BH of Spain.
That's certainly reassuring, thank you!
Old 03-10-22, 10:46 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
The market for Pipelines appears to be shrinking.
Old 03-11-22, 08:07 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Just finish a full rehab on a 88 Peugeot Pipeline 5 that I got from the orig owner, I converted it to index shifting for the modern world.

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 03-11-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-14-22, 09:14 PM
Fasucci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Is the seat original?