Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me choose my bike (Dilemma)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 02:24 PM
Tomtom1988

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the market of buying a nice road bike. I currently have two options

1. Scott Foil 2012
-Ultegra Di2 10s 6750
-Carbon frame
-Size 56
~1500 CAD$
-Basic mavic wheelset

2. Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2013
-Ultegra 6800 11
-Dura ace c50 carbon wheels
~1700 CAD$

The main dilemma is about size. I am 181cm or 5'11" and inseam is 86cm or 34". The second dilemma is about carbon wheels vs electric shifting.

Thanks for the help,
Thomas

​​​​​
​​​
Old 03-13-24, 12:49 PM
zactaylor

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hello,

Your first dilemma:
In my view, if you're in between sizes, always go for the smaller one. It is much easier to 'make a bike bigger' by changing stem length/handlebar width/seat pin, but is a lot harder (near impossible) to make a big bike feel smaller.

Your second dilemma:
I would always take electronic shifting over a carbon wheelset. In my view, you gain more. Plus, even the low end Mavic wheelsets (I'm guessing you're looking at Aksiums) are excellent. I have been running them on my summer bike for just over a year and they have been perfect. They've just been 'demoted' to my winter bike as I was given a set of Campagnolo Zondas to use on the summer bike.

Having said that, if the mechanical version is 11 speed and the electronic one is only 10 speed, you should consider that an important factor. Sometimes that extra sprocket is really nice to have.
Likes For zactaylor:
Old 03-13-24, 01:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtom1988
The main dilemma is about size. I am 181cm or 5'11" and inseam is 86cm or 34". The second dilemma is about carbon wheels vs electric shifting.
​​​
You should ride both bikes and see which fits best. I mean, you dont even mention the size of the Cannondale, so there is 0 chance anyone here should even guess which fits best, much less confidently state which fits best.
Bikes from different brands have different geometry, and many people can feel the differences, so going simply by 'S, M, L' or whatever is sometimes worthless.
Ride the bikes and see which you like more.

As for your second dilemma- I wouldnt want 12 year old 10sp electronic shifting. That stuff is a few generations old and as components wear, you may soon be required to just get a new drivetrain(or pay out the nose for single parts).
A 6800 drivetrain will be easily serviced and replaced if/when needed for years to come since r7000 and r8000 components work with 6800,
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-13-24, 01:57 PM
zactaylor

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

As for your second dilemma- I wouldnt want 12 year old 10sp electronic shifting. That stuff is a few generations old and as components wear, you may soon be required to just get a new drivetrain(or pay out the nose for single parts).
A 6800 drivetrain will be easily serviced and replaced if/when needed for years to come since r7000 and r8000 components work with 6800,
I concur. Sound advice!
Likes For zactaylor:
Old 03-13-24, 05:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I have older Di2 but the original production stuff I would avoid 100% I can still get support and parts easily enough for the 6850 and Dura Ace version (I cannot remember the numbers) it also rides quite well but I have owned it through the entire life. I wouldn't buy it used as I have no clue who has done what to it and what service it has had and all of that.

In the end I would try both bikes and then go to my local bike shop and buy a new bike that I get all the warranties and support with and I have new components that I am responsible for so I know what goes on or at least know I bring it to the shop yearly or twice a year or more often because I ride a lot. As much as a new bike will be a bit more expensive I can get 105 Di2 which is fantastic and something I would consider putting on one of my bikes (which usually don't go below Ultegra on the road side).

If I am going to buy a used bike I would take it to the shop and ask them to overhaul it or at least remove bottom bracket and seatpost and make sure no bolts are seized and tune the thing. I was stupid buying a used bike once because I was so excited by it, it was sparkly purple, Reynolds 531 and full Dura-Ace 7400 really purdy bike but I didn't really full check it over beyond making sure it shifted decently and some new bar tape and a couple years later went to remove everything and overhaul then and the bottom bracket was seized and it had to be cut out in the end, a French threaded 7400 bottom bracket (ouch). Some people don't maintain their bikes as well or the bike was never really put together at the factory well and one that first build and exit tune nobody thought to check anything and after that maybe they tuned it maybe they didn't but in the end who knows.
Old 03-14-24, 07:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you'll like the more aggressive position that those bikes give, then either is a fine bike. I'd probably go for the SuperSix. While I like my current bike with Di2 the Ultegra 6800 group is nothing to thumb your nose at. I suspect the SuperSix will be lighter and that will make more hills seem to disappear. And if that is the one that comes with carbon wheels then that will give you a superior feel for the bikes handling on the road.
Old 03-14-24, 08:58 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
The op was 6 months ago. I'm thinking Thomas may have a bike by now.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 03-14-24, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
So we'll have to remember that zactaylor is infatuated with old things no longer active and a desire to see no that no thread goes unanswered. <grin>

But it'll be interesting if the OP comes back to say what was finally bought and what was thought about it.

I do wish I'd checked the posting date of the OP though!
Old 03-14-24, 12:20 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I do wish I'd checked the posting date of the OP though!
What's six months among friends?

Actually, I'm surprised this went unanswered for so long.
Old 03-14-24, 12:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
The op was 6 months ago. I'm thinking Thomas may have a bike by now.
Well F.

I got caught in the old resurrect an unresponded to thread and make it seem like its relevant.
How lame of that poster to resurrect this.
Old 03-14-24, 01:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I had to wait about 6 months before I managed to fulfill all the insurance pre-approval and medical screenings required for a hernia repair surgery. So I feel the OP's pain. (And occasionally, a little bit of my own, still. )
Old 03-18-24, 11:20 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You would have a point if this was the Dura Ace 7970 Di2, which is not compatible with later Di2 systems. The Ultegra 6770 Di2, on the other hand, is plug compatible with later wired Di2 systems. So you have lots of possibilities for upgrades and mix and match.