Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cross wind question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cross wind question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 11:18 AM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cross wind question

Assuming I have a perfect 90 degree (running exactly perpendicular to my direction of travel), does the crosswind affect my speed vs. a wind-less day, how much, and why (assuming a solo rider)?

In general, I'd think a cross wind would not have much affect because the force is pushing from the side, but I assume there is more to it than that (based on how much they seem to slow me down).

I'm guessing that a cross wind probably disrupts the smooth flow of air around the bike/rider (compared to a windless day), creating more resistance.

I was also wondering if the rider has to use some small amount of energy to 'lean into' the wind while riding or if this is just a balance thing. I know on a really windy day, I feel like I'm constantly fighting with the bike (particularly in a cross wind).

Sorry if this a stupid question, but this is the kind of stuff that gets in my head while riding.
Old 12-26-09, 11:24 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
While out on a ride, I've had sudden weather changes, creating cross winds of 50 MPH or more.. This area is known for it's winds... I'd say when I slow down in order to lessen the chance of being blown over, i'd say my speed has been affected... . But, the odd thing, as often as I sense cross winds , I also feel head winds.. That can be as great a work out as ascending a steep grade..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-26-09, 11:33 AM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling magazine (I think--may have been Cycle Guide, which is no longer around) did a story on this 15 or 20 years ago, with wind tunnel tests. I can't remember the details, but the conclusion was that wind in a 270-degree arc from straight ahead hurt performance overall--that is, unless it was coming from within 45 degrees to either side of straight back, it slowed you down. Didn't make a lot of sense to me then, and it doesn't now, but they seemed convinced.
As for energy fighting a crosswind, of course it takes some. Just man up and ride. Or stay home, which is what I'm probably going to do this afternoon.
Old 12-26-09, 11:56 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Bicycling magazine (I think--may have been Cycle Guide, which is no longer around) did a story on this 15 or 20 years ago, with wind tunnel tests. I can't remember the details, but the conclusion was that wind in a 270-degree arc from straight ahead hurt performance overall--that is, unless it was coming from within 45 degrees to either side of straight back, it slowed you down. Didn't make a lot of sense to me then, and it doesn't now, but they seemed convinced.
As for energy fighting a crosswind, of course it takes some. Just man up and ride. Or stay home, which is what I'm probably going to do this afternoon.

I think I read the same article! I totally agree. why wouldn't a cross wind slow you down? the air is disturbed before you you 'break' it and therefore rougher than if there was no movement in the air. this is just like riding in a paceline. it is easier to stay 2" from a wheel then 1' behind it and you can keep pace abreast of a rider than if your were a few feet behind.

I understood this after I started working for a air freight service and started to learn a bit more about aero dynamics

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-26-09, 12:07 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I remember that article (though the one I'm thinking of was published more than 25 years ago). I agreed with it then, and I still do though your posture and equipment have a significant effect on how much wind resistance you get at different angles.

Crosswinds have a huge effect because it totally changes the airflow around the bike and the rider. To make things worse, winds typically vary because they change on their own and features in the landscape create currents and eddies. When winds slow you down and then drop, the practical effect is you wind up wasting a lot more energy accelerating even if you maintain constant power.

As if that knowledge should ever affect your decision to ride. HTFU.
Old 12-26-09, 12:41 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by grwoolf
Assuming I have a perfect 90 degree (running exactly perpendicular to my direction of travel), does the crosswind affect my speed vs. a wind-less day, how much, and why (assuming a solo rider)?
Aero drag doesn't depend on the the true wind over the ground but the apparent wind on bike and rider, i.e., the vector sum of the true wind and the bike velocity . If a rider is moving forward at 15 mph and there is a side wind at exactly 90 degreed also at 15 mph, the apparent wind is at 45 degrees at a speed of 21 mph. Virtually every riding condition results in an apparent wind from the front.
Old 12-26-09, 01:05 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.hedcycling.com/aerodynami...calculator.asp
Old 12-26-09, 01:58 PM
ejbarnes
Determined Survivor

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Specialized Transition, Kona Paddy Wagon, Giant TCX. Lots of bikes in the Garage.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the same article in the last year or so.
The 270° idea is that you are leaning into the wind, more or less steering into the wind.
Therefore you will be affected by the wind.
I notice much more work in side wind when using a wheel with a deep rim but the hill climb rims can also make for a twitchy ride on a very windy day.

Heck I even notice much more work when running with a side wind.
Old 12-26-09, 02:02 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by ejbarnes
I notice much more work in side wind when using a wheel with a deep rim ...
You realize that flies in the face of all the recorded data - wind tunnel, field test, analysis?
Old 12-26-09, 03:10 PM
ejbarnes
Determined Survivor

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Specialized Transition, Kona Paddy Wagon, Giant TCX. Lots of bikes in the Garage.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
You realize that flies in the face of all the recorded data - wind tunnel, field test, analysis?
Try it. A good wind gust can almost blow the wheels out from under you.
I think the aero factor works in the forward direction not sideways, as from the side it creates more surface area.
Like a fat person and a skinny person.
Old 12-26-09, 04:51 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Virtually every riding condition results in an apparent wind from the front.
Yup. The only way you won't have an apparent headwind is if it's coming from behind and if it's blowing faster than you're riding.
Old 12-26-09, 04:55 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I remember that article (though the one I'm thinking of was published more than 25 years ago). I agreed with it then, and I still do though your posture and equipment have a significant effect on how much wind resistance you get at different angles.

Crosswinds have a huge effect because it totally changes the airflow around the bike and the rider. To make things worse, winds typically vary because they change on their own and features in the landscape create currents and eddies. When winds slow you down and then drop, the practical effect is you wind up wasting a lot more energy accelerating even if you maintain constant power.

As if that knowledge should ever affect your decision to ride. HTFU.
Not only those effects.

A wind from the side introduces a significant side force on the bike and rider. The only place that side force can be offset is where the wheels contact the ground. I'm not sure of the exact physics going on, but your rolling resistance goes up because of that side force.

I actually did some experimenting when I was out in LA and did a lot of biking on the coast between PV peninsula and Santa Monica, where crosswinds are pretty much the norm. I once tested how far I'd coast on a flat stretch one morning when there was no wind. A couple of days later I passed the same spot with probably a 10-15 MPH crosswind. My rough experimentation had me rolling only about half as far as I rolled with no wind.

Last edited by achoo; 12-26-09 at 05:00 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 12-26-09, 06:48 PM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by achoo
Not only those effects.

A wind from the side introduces a significant side force on the bike and rider. The only place that side force can be offset is where the wheels contact the ground. I'm not sure of the exact physics going on, but your rolling resistance goes up because of that side force.
I am going to simplify the math somewhat, but basically: If you do a vector force analysis you will discover that the side force that the rider is feeling has to be countered in some manner or the rider is going to be knocked over. That is done by the rider and bike leaning into the wind. The force is now balanced in such a manner that it is transferred to the ground. In effect, you and the bike get heavier.

It might seem counter-intuitive at first glance. Now, how much force and how much effect is questionable and nearly impossible to calculate, but I would guess it is pretty small in the big scheme of things.
Old 12-26-09, 07:10 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
unless it was coming from within 45 degrees to either side of straight back, it slowed you down. Didn't make a lot of sense to me then, and it doesn't now, but they seemed convinced.
You are still moving forward into the wind. Less so that if it was a pure headwind, but there is still a forward component to the vectors when added together.
Old 12-26-09, 08:12 PM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cross winds are killer.
I live in the land of never ending wind.
Old 12-27-09, 08:16 AM
asgelle

I think the aero factor works in the forward direction not sideways, as from the side it creates more surface area.
This is physics, not what color should your bar tape be. It isn't a matter of opinion. While frontal area increases with increasing yaw, the drag coefficient decreases faster than area increases. As to the "aero factor" working in the forward not sideways direction, drag is a vector quantity and exerts a force parallel to the direction of the flow. Of course, there is also a force normal to that; we call it lift.

Anyway this guy comes home and sees his wife in bed with his best friend ...
Old 12-27-09, 09:08 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
I am going to simplify the math somewhat, but basically: If you do a vector force analysis you will discover that the side force that the rider is feeling has to be countered in some manner or the rider is going to be knocked over. That is done by the rider and bike leaning into the wind. The force is now balanced in such a manner that it is transferred to the ground. In effect, you and the bike get heavier.

It might seem counter-intuitive at first glance. Now, how much force and how much effect is questionable and nearly impossible to calculate, but I would guess it is pretty small in the big scheme of things.
So, that's another impact of crosswinds.

Do the force vectors on the tire contact patches. If the wind is pushing the rider to the left, there must be an equal force on the contact patches pushing the rider to the right. And that is going to be in addition to the lean you mention - that lean is there to counteract the torque from the two side forces of the wind and its countering force on the contact patch.

I'm thinking that that in addition to the changes in aerodynamics mention earlier along with the lean you bring up, the side force on the contact patch does something to directly increase the rollng resistance of the wheel and tire. Maybe the torque on the wheel bearings makes them roll less efficiently, maybe the tire doesn't roll straight ahead and has to crab like a plane in a strong crosswind, maybe the tire is actually skidding sideways just a bit. Maybe all of those.
Old 12-27-09, 09:59 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I was watching a video of the Coors Classic races back in the 80's. They had full disc front wheels. Wonder why they don't do that anymore?
Old 12-27-09, 10:13 AM
asgelle

Originally Posted by bbattle
I was watching a video of the Coors Classic races back in the 80's. They had full disc front wheels. Wonder why they don't do that anymore?
I didn't realize 1080 mm deep rims were available in the 80's. Do you have a picture of them?
Old 12-27-09, 10:46 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't realize 1080 mm deep rims were available in the 80's. Do you have a picture of them?
According to Sheldon Brown, there were disc wheels back in the 1800's:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_da-o.html
Old 12-27-09, 10:57 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Francesco Moser

Old 12-27-09, 12:09 PM
neuronal

Bikes: Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? You make it sound as if there's a non-trivial number of wind tunnel tests that compare wind flow from different directions on bicycle wheels. Link me to 3.
Old 12-27-09, 02:50 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by neuronal
What the hell are you talking about? You make it sound as if there's a non-trivial number of wind tunnel tests that compare wind flow from different directions on bicycle wheels. Link me to 3.
What am I talking about? At this point testing over the full range of relevant yaw angles is so routine that a masters racer trying to improve his position does it as a matter of course https://www.cyclingtechblog.com/2009/...b-at-texas-am/. Further, anyone testing only at 0 yaw would have their results laughed off the stage (see MIT cycling team).

But anyway, here's a bunch. https://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/technology/rimshape.pdf

Last edited by asgelle; 12-27-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 03:06 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What am I talking about? At this point testing over the full range of relevant yaw angles is so routine that a masters racer trying to improve his position does it as a matter of course https://www.cyclingtechblog.com/2009/...b-at-texas-am/. Further, anyone testing only at 0 yaw would have their results laughed off the stage (see MIT cycling team).

But anyway, here's a bunch. https://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/technology/rimshape.pdf
Nice job...first link doesn't even compare wheels, second link is from Zipp and doesn't substantiate any of your claims seeing as how they only test at 30 degrees max.
Old 12-27-09, 03:08 PM
neuronal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the same article in the last year or so.
The 270° idea is that you are leaning into the wind, more or less steering into the wind.
Therefore you will be affected by the wind.
I notice much more work in side wind when using a wheel with a deep rim but the hill climb rims can also make for a twitchy ride on a very windy day.

Heck I even notice much more work when running with a side wind.

If you're gonna dispute someone's claim (i.e. this guy's), link to relevant stuff. Try again. And don't quote people out of context as you did above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.