Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help with cones

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need help with cones

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 10:12 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Really, we hardly use inches in anything we measure, whether it be stem reach, crank arm length, brake reach, fork offset, chainline, OLD, seatpost diameter, headset stack, spoke length, tire width or frame size. Yes, there are a few exceptions. A few.
Okay now I see where you are coming from. Just guessing but most folks (not pro bike mechanics) probably have measurement tools that are not metric. Having to do a conversion isn't a terrible thing. To insist that those with imperial measuring tools convert to your chosen standard seems to be arrogant snobbery to me.
Old 07-05-23, 10:36 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
To insist that those ... convert to [the bike industry's metric standard] seems to be arrogant snobbery to me.
Old 07-05-23, 11:17 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,777 Posts
Yes, there are a few exceptions. A few.
Like ball bearings. Who’s ever heard of a “4.76mm” bearing??
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-05-23, 11:42 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Like ball bearings. Who’s ever heard of a “4.76mm” bearing??
Well, if you don't know the size, you can measure it, then convert to the industry standard ... as I did in post 15.
Old 07-06-23, 01:32 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Well, if you don't know the size, you can measure it, then convert to the industry standard ... as I did in post 15.
LOL. Go onto McMaster Carr and order a 4.76 mm ball bearing set, see what happens.

SAE standards are not standards? Lots of things still use imperial units. Military hardware is still obstinately imperial units.

Lots of bike parts are still imperial units. Like headsets, pedals, bottom brackets. The only thing standard on bikes through the years have been all the new standards.

Learn to think in two sets of units. Sort of like being bilingual. Or buy a digital caliper. They usually support either sets of units.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-06-23, 04:06 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
one possible reason for the persistence of imperial (fractional inch) units in the bike industry is that after WW2 the italian industrial base was re-tooled with machine tools from the US and England.

Those machines did not have metric lead screws. So they could turn a metric diameter but could ony cut threads of imperial dimension.

at least that is how it was once explained to me. Portlandjim might have more to say about that.

/markp
Old 07-06-23, 04:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
one possible reason for the persistence of imperial (fractional inch) units in the bike industry is that after WW2 the italian industrial base was re-tooled with machine tools from the US and England.

Those machines did not have metric lead screws. So they could turn a metric diameter but could ony cut threads of imperial dimension.

at least that is how it was once explained to me. Portlandjim might have more to say about that.

/markp

This is absolutely correct. Before the advent of CNC, machinery took measurements based on the pitch of a lead screw. Since, there is no rational multiplier for converting metric to imperial or vice versa, machines could only produce threaded parts based on their own lead screw.

Note, the above applies only to "generated" threads. Those that were made with taps and dies were unaffected, since the tooling had enough float to correct for error.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-06-23 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-06-23, 07:37 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
I see some pitting. Do what the pros do. Wheels Mfg. makes replacement cones and axles. Measure the axle diameter, the small diameter of the race, the length of the race, the large diameter of the race, and the overall length of the cone. Match taper of the race by eyeball at https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html. If you replace the axle, too, you won't have to measure the threads. Or take the axle to your local bike shop hand have them measure and order.
Old 07-08-23, 11:07 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
first of all, that is a really cool plate that you are using in your workshop. I use cheap Ikea plastic stuff and old take-out containers to hold my greasy parts, not engraved works of art.
Silver plated tea tray from Goodwill. $4.00.

This cone from https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-p...s/cn-r082.html seems to fit the bill. (I still need to find out what size ball bearing that takes before I order. Anybody know offhand? Mine are .187"/4.75mm)

Thanks again.

Last edited by sknhgy; 07-08-23 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-23, 08:09 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Two of those cones, plus shipping from Wheels Mfg comes to $40.69. I'm going to hit up some more bike shops before ordering there.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-11-23, 10:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Nothing you can do to improve the cones. These surfaces are loosely akin to ice crusted snow, namely a hard surface covering a softer core. Polishing will only remove more o f the critical hard skin.

There are sources for replacement cones, if not an exact match, at least close enough to serve well. However the seals are much harder to find, if at all.

Looking at them, they're not terrible, and in your shoes, I'd use new balls, good quality grease, and careful adjustment to minimum preload. Then ride.

BTW while this wear will feel rough when spinning the axle in your fingers, the actual difference when riding is about as close to zero as one can imagine.
[edit] continuing on reading the thread, I see that others have suggested Wheels Manufacturing. I'll keep my post just to give an example on how it worked out for me.

I found some cones for old campy hubs I was trying to re-hab for a vintage Italian build I was doing and found some similar-period rims and hubs. (also my first wheel build). I can't really remember the details, but I found some from, IIRC, Wheels Manufacturing using some pretty simple measurements. The hub is smooth seems to work well even though I'm pretty sure the the cones weren't identical.

In retrospect, I probably could have gotten away with just using the imperfect cones with new balls, grease and careful pre-load as you suggest, and accepted a tiny bit of roughness that was present before I started. But it was a fun project.

I have been totally self taught in bike mechanics beginning in the 70s with "Glen's" encyclopedic book on bike repair. But never any "hands on" mentoring or instruction. I always thought that wheel bearings needed to be perfectly smooth, or darn close to it. Only recently has a respected professional mechanic told me - in reference to a different cone and cup wheel bearing I was messing with that was a little rough: "that's just fine". I never realized!

Last edited by Camilo; 07-11-23 at 10:45 PM.