Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A bearing question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

A bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 10:00 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5474 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
A bearing question

Probably need someone from the bearing industry to answer this. In the course of changing bearings I noticed that the balls don't match the curve of the races. It's the same on the worn cones that came out of the wheel and the new cones.
This may very well be how these things are designed. I don't know.
Just thought I'd ask.

Old 07-15-23, 10:38 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
That's the way they're designed. If the race formed a "cup" around the ball, there would be some sliding contact with additional friction.

An individual ball has a "point" contact on its races. This is why proper bearing adjustment involves a slight amount of preload. With preload, all the balls contacting the loaded half of the race share the load. If the bearing is slightly loose, the entire load may be supported by one ball at a time, which concentrates the load enough to cause premature wear which is usually apparent first on the inner race (cone).
Slight preload does no harm because once a rider's weight is on the bearing, the loading is even higher.
Here are a couple references: Jobst Brandt and Bicycles.
I realize this is controversial; make of it what you will.
Old 07-15-23, 01:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Yes, balls are always smaller than the curve of the races. This is to ensure single point contact.

Consider what would happen if it weren't this way.

A cupped system with broader contact area would make it impossible for the ball to roll freely. Since the ball would be touching at different radii with respect to its roll, some sliding would be necessary, greatly increasing friction and wear.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-15-23, 02:01 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
exactly right, these have a single point of contact and the bearing track described around the cone is a circle.

There are also roller bearings (Stronglight A9 Headset for example) that has a cylindrical roller and there is some of the scrubbing effect alluded to above

tapered roller bearings like a Timken wheel bearing (or the one below) attempt to get around this problem. But for a headset or other low speed applications it doesn't really matter.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-15-23, 03:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Probably need someone from the bearing industry to answer this. In the course of changing bearings I noticed that the balls don't match the curve of the races. It's the same on the worn cones that came out of the wheel and the new cones.
This may very well be how these things are designed. I don't know.
The races are ground parabolicly to minimize contact and make the bearing more tolerant of slight misalignment of the parts.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-15-23, 04:10 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-15-23, 09:08 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Hey! That race looked dicey! Is it pitted?
Old 07-16-23, 07:57 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Hey! That race looked dicey! Is it pitted?
Yes. It's the one I'm replacing.
An LBS gave me some free ones from their parts bin.
Old 07-16-23, 09:30 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Yes. It's the one I'm replacing.
An LBS gave me some free ones from their parts bin.
I did the same. Most bike parts die from neglect more than overuse. Piles and piles of dry hubs, headsets etc that just need cleaning and lube. I also found that various axle races had various quality differences and the angle of the race’s face varied.
Old 07-16-23, 10:48 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The races are ground parabolicly to minimize contact and make the bearing more tolerant of slight misalignment of the parts.
Bicycle races may be different, but all of the cartridge bearings I have opened and checked on a Talysurf have been constant radius. Steering gear ball screws are gothic arch, though even then constant radius on both sides.

To the OP, Google up “raceway curvature ratio” if you’re curious. A smaller ratio will be 52%, and support high loads relative to the bearing size. A high ratio like 57% will have slightly lower drag at moderate loads, but be damaged more easily. Once damaged it won’t matter what the original design was. Go much under 52% and you’ll scrub enough that system life decreases under high loading and go much above 57% and it gets too easy to damage things (search “Hertzian contact” if curious). There are a few more variables in here, so it’s not appropriate to say that bicycle hubs should always be 52%, or 57%, or whatever.
Old 07-17-23, 09:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
I'll add to jccaclimber's great post and mention that the angle, relative to the axle, that the balls see the load through varies from brand to brand. IIRC back in the day the Euro hubs typically had an angle around 22* and as Shimano increased their market share it was known they chose a steeper angle. So even with matching thread specs and cone diameters they weren't a good interchange.

Also there's the cone's ball track small diameter to be aware of. If the replacement cone has too large a small ball track "starting" diameter the balls can end up riding on the corner of that ball track. When the cone is nice and new this only feels like a slightly worn bearing. But this corner breaks down quickly and the bearing soon feels all rough and sloppy. Andy
Old 07-19-23, 04:26 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Just remember that it's more important to match the race of the new cone to the original rather than try to improve on it. The cups are designed to work with that taper, and they won't work with anything else.
Likes For oldbobcat: