Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Using a Battery Pack???

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Using a Battery Pack???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 08:12 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Using a Battery Pack???

I am planning to buy a Anker battery pack but have a question. If we are using our Garmin 800 and the battery is almost depleted can it still be used by attaching the battery pack?
Thanks!!
Old 04-07-17, 08:52 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,009 Posts
Yes. I do that regularly.

Note that you might not need a very large pack (the 3300 mAh one would charge the 800 about 2.5 times).

(You don't have to wait until the 800 battery is almost depleted.)

All of the units from the 800 and newer should all work.
Old 04-07-17, 11:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
For what it's worth, my current battery is this one. It's smaller and cheaper than others I've used, and it has proven to be more reliable. The capacity is more than I need. I think it can charge an iphone 2 or 2.5 times. The size is very handy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-07-17, 04:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
There are probably a dozen different brands of USB external battery packs that are equally good. I'm satisfied with the Jackery USB battery. Got one last year based on recommendations from a friend. Works great and it's solid. I've dropped it several times, mostly on pavement from handlebar height because I'm a klutz and the USB battery packs are shaped like bars of soap just asking to be dropped. Barely a nick in the cover, keeps on working.

So far my only USB rechargeable devices that can't be run and charged simultaneously is the Light & Motion Urban 500. Plugging in a battery pack puts it in standby recharge-only mode. Too bad, it's a great light otherwise.

All my other USB lights, smart phone, flip phone, video camera, etc., can run and charge simultaneously. I got a tiny, lightweight USB battery pack, about the size of a cigarette lighter, just to mount on my helmet to enable extended run time with my video camera when it's mounted on my helmet. When I run the video camera on the handlebar I'll hook it up to the Jackery and it's so efficient the camera is often fully charged by the time I get home while simultaneously recording my ride. The smaller, cheaper USB batteries aren't as efficient.
Old 04-07-17, 07:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,822 Times in 2,604 Posts
I think I've proven to myself that you want to start out on the external battery so that it doesn't have to charge the Garmin at a high rate. I have some 2600mAh lipstick batteries that I use to keep the garmin charged. One of them is going to get me through the fleche tomorrow. I'm not sure it will even be fully depleted by the end. I think on 4am starts, the 2600mAh is usually depleted at about midnight or later. But then the internal battery is fully charged and gets me through. The lipstick batteries are a nice size to mount to the handlebar. I use a twofish lockblock to hold the battery. I carry extras, they are light.