Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown Sekine please help identify

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 08:36 PM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Looks all original, was wondering if it's worth buying, any idea what frame and rim material and if the rest of the components are worth it?

Old 11-02-22, 08:45 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Depends on how much they're asking for it. Not sure what model it is but it seems to be the more common lower end one. The higher up models are champion 5, and this isn't one of them. The better ones have chrome on the chainstays, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-02-22, 09:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
The subject bicycle appears to be a Sekine RM-30 from the very early 1980s. It is an upper, entry level model. The frame is hi-tensile steel and the rims are steel. The brakes appear to be Shimano Tourney, while the crankset appears to be a Shimano Selecta T. The derailleurs are a bit harder to identify, either Tourney or Altus ST but the shift levers look like Altus. During this era, it was rare to get aluminum rims on hubs with nutted axles.
Old 11-02-22, 09:25 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by rgvg
Depends on how much they're asking for it. Not sure what model it is but it seems to be the more common lower end one. The higher up models are champion 5, and this isn't one of them. The better ones have chrome on the chainstays, if I'm not mistaken.
Tange #5 was plain gauge CrMo. I've never seen it used on a Sekine from the era when they had their Canadian factory. The ones with half chromed stays from the mid-1970s used double butted CrMo and are either Tange #3 or #2.
Old 11-02-22, 09:31 PM
UnD3R0aTh

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you so much for the responses guys, I find Sekine bikes to be among the least documented vintage bikes despite an apparent popularity. I tried to go through some online posts, I found this https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/Featu...y_Canadian.htm, now with the exception of the crank which as mentioned by T-mar is a Shimano Selecta T, the SEKINE SHC 271appears to be identical to the subject bicycle in the saddle, chrome pattern, shifters and brake levers, brakes and even rim reflectors!

Edit, both are also are NOT quick release axels

Last edited by UnD3R0aTh; 11-02-22 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-02-22, 09:35 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Well, I'll defer to what T-Mar says. All the Sekines I've seen advertised were a little too big for me so I never went to see them.
Old 11-03-22, 04:53 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts

Poor pic of my girlfriend's sekine but it is straight guage chromolly with no derailleur hanger. Sort of an Asian supercourse to my mind. I try to build her better bikes but she won't have anything else. Frankly it's a very nice ride.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-03-22, 05:04 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by UnD3R0aTh
Thank you so much for the responses guys, I find Sekine bikes to be among the least documented vintage bikes despite an apparent popularity. I tried to go through some online posts, I found this https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/Featu...y_Canadian.htm, now with the exception of the crank which as mentioned by T-mar is a Shimano Selecta T, the SEKINE SHC 271appears to be identical to the subject bicycle in the saddle, chrome pattern, shifters and brake levers, brakes and even rim reflectors!

Edit, both are also are NOT quick release axels

This one, identified as an SHC, is actually a slightly earlier version of the RM-30, circa 1978-1979.
Old 11-10-22, 12:16 AM
UnD3R0aTh

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
thx T-mar, any idea where I can find more info on the RM-30? specs, sizing, etc? the rims look so shiny and not rusted in any way, I hope they are not steal! I might go see it soon, if I like it, it will be my new commuter
Old 11-10-22, 05:41 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by UnD3R0aTh
thx T-mar, any idea where I can find more info on the RM-30? specs, sizing, etc? the rims look so shiny and not rusted in any way, I hope they are not steal! I might go see it soon, if I like it, it will be my new commuter
If the rims are OEM, then they are steel. They look like steel and the given the nutted axles, they most likely are steel. Male Sekine models were typically offered in 21", 23" and 25" frame sizes. Sometimes, you'd get a popular, upper entry level model offered in 27". The subject bicycle appears to be 25".
Old 11-13-22, 08:14 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster

Poor pic of my girlfriend's sekine but it is straight guage chromolly with no derailleur hanger. Sort of an Asian supercourse to my mind. I try to build her better bikes but she won't have anything else. Frankly it's a very nice ride.
Unless you're competing, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a straight-gauge 4130 frame that fits.

That combo describes perhaps the best-riding frame I've ever owned.
Old 11-13-22, 08:48 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
That looks like a rebuilt Sekine SHR, circa 1972, before the Canadian factory opened and when they were being distributed in the USA by Beacon Cycle. I assume it originally was equipped with SunTour derailleurs?