Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Biking Through Bad Neighborhoods...?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 12:55 PM
DRietz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey there guys. My school is around three miles away from my house, making it a breeze of a bike ride, but only being 15, my mom has some concerns. Mainly because in order to get to my school, you have to ride right through one of the corners of the Iron Triangle in Oakland, CA.

For those of you who don't know what the Iron Triangle is, it is as follows:

The neighborhood gets its name from three major railroad tracks which form a rough triangle and define its boundaries. The northeastern side of the Iron Triangle is the Union Pacific Railroad/BART tracks that run beside Carlson Boulevard, Espee Avenue, Portola Avenue, and 13th Street. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway tracks that parallel the Richmond Parkway form the northwest side of the triangle. Traditionally, the southern side of the triangle has been the now abandoned Santa Fe tracks that ran between Ohio and Chanslor Avenues and are currently being developed as the Richmond Greenway. Because those tracks have been removed, the southern boundary of the neighborhood is now sometimes considered to be the BNSF tracks that run just south of Interstate 580.
But it is also full of some of the largest amounts gang violence in Richmond and Oakland, CA, specifically near the AA housing and apartments which I pass when I ride to school.

So, I am wondering what your thoughts are on riding through bad neighborhoods. How do I convince my mom that I can ride through these neighborhoods with ease (she's mainly worried that I'd ride right into a gang fight [she's kind of neurotic like that]). I mean, the ride should take me about 20 minutes, really.

Thanks for your guys' input, and I don't know how many of you are figurative wisenheimers, but I can already see somebody replying, "Ride faster."
Old 10-03-09, 01:27 PM
GodsBassist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you were to go around that area, what kind of distance are you looking at?
Old 10-03-09, 01:31 PM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
If you were to go around that area, what kind of distance are you looking at?
Well, let me see here. If I went up Redwood to Skyline and back down to the back of the school, around 20-ish miles? That's the first route that comes to my mind.
Old 10-03-09, 01:54 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm certain you're overestimating the distance on that. Longest side on the triangle is 3 miles at the absolute max.
Stick on main roads and dont dress like a hood.

I grew up in San Francisco's TL, and would hang out with friends in the triangle to take a break.

Ken.
Old 10-03-09, 02:04 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm, lessee...

Given you are 15, I should be about your Mom's age. Aside from her emotional investment in you she has good reason to be nervous, not neurotic. Let's review the evidence, shall we?
I skirt pretty gritty neighbourhood myself, on the other side of the country. I saw a .22 shell on a sidewalk. I have been shooed off by a police officer to a sidestreet to take a detour during a day-long stand-off. Due to broken glass bottles and other k-rap if I have two weeks between flats - I am doing superb. Freeway underpasses are a separate story - hold your breath...
I ride just ahead of rush hour on main streets, to ensure plenty of eyes but not much traffic yet, and vary my riding days. You will be a regular target, like a clockwork, twice a day, every day, and this is my main problem.
Take a longer route. It is not quite clear if it is 20mi RT or one way. 10 mi one way is good exercise and will take about 35-40 min, comparable to most school bus rides, 20 mi one way is nearly unsustainable.

AND WEAR A HELMET!!!!!

Ride Safe and Have fun

SF
Old 10-03-09, 02:16 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The real danger isn't your riding into a gang fight, but someone mugging you for the bike. It's not an unrealistic fear, especially if the bike is obvious thief-bait. A lot would depend here on the exact route - how busy it is and how visible you would be, etc.

Last edited by meanwhile; 10-03-09 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 02:36 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1. Dress in a manner where you will not draw undue attention to yourself...no spandex, no wild jerseys, no fancy helmets, no fancy shoes, no fancy bike.

2. Always act like you know what you are doing and like you belong there.

3. Pay attention to your environment...avoid trouble when spotted or even if you just feel hinky.

4. Mind your own business

As long as you don't look like a potential victim or a potential threat or a potential dickhead, you'll be fine - in any neighborhood.
Old 10-03-09, 02:46 PM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kendall
I'm certain you're overestimating the distance on that. Longest side on the triangle is 3 miles at the absolute max.
Stick on main roads and dont dress like a hood.

I grew up in San Francisco's TL, and would hang out with friends in the triangle to take a break.

Ken.
I pretty sure I am as well, but it's not specifically the iron triangle, more the remnants of it. I go to high school at Bishop O'Dowd if you have any where that is.

Originally Posted by sci_femme
Hmmmm, lessee...

Given you are 15, I should be about your Mom's age. Aside from her emotional investment in you she has good reason to be nervous, not neurotic. Let's review the evidence, shall we?
I skirt pretty gritty neighbourhood myself, on the other side of the country. I saw a .22 shell on a sidewalk. I have been shooed off by a police officer to a sidestreet to take a detour during a day-long stand-off. Due to broken glass bottles and other k-rap if I have two weeks between flats - I am doing superb. Freeway underpasses are a separate story - hold your breath...
I ride just ahead of rush hour on main streets, to ensure plenty of eyes but not much traffic yet, and vary my riding days. You will be a regular target, like a clockwork, twice a day, every day, and this is my main problem.
Take a longer route. It is not quite clear if it is 20mi RT or one way. 10 mi one way is good exercise and will take about 35-40 min, comparable to most school bus rides, 20 mi one way is nearly unsustainable.

AND WEAR A HELMET!!!!!

Ride Safe and Have fun

SF
Originally Posted by meanwhile
The real danger isn't your riding into a gang fight, but someone mugging you for the bike. It's not an unrealistic fear, especially if the bike is obvious thief-bait. A lot would depend here on the exact route - how busy it is and how visible you would be, etc.
Originally Posted by chipcom
1. Dress in a manner where you will not draw undue attention to yourself...no spandex, no wild jerseys, no fancy helmets, no fancy shoes, no fancy bike.

2. Always act like you know what you are doing and like you belong there.

3. Pay attention to your environment...avoid trouble when spotted or even if you just feel hinky.

4. Mind your own business

As long as you don't look like a potential victim or a potential threat or a potential dickhead, you'll be fine - in any neighborhood.
These are all good suggestions, and I don't wear my chamois to school. Some of the jocks would go ballistic.

So what I'm seeing really is just don't act or dress like a target and mind my own business. Seems simple enough.
Old 10-03-09, 04:01 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was your age riding through a not so sketchy neighborhood, that I'd gone through many times. I got hit with a 2x4 in the back/neck and mugged for my bike.
It was a really crappy bike, but the group of 4-5 ghetto kids wanted it. I was 6' even at the time, 240lbs and fairly fit. I thought no-one would mess with me. A chunk of wood and being outnumbered was more then enough, learned a lot about the world that day.

A few years later I was riding through a really bad neighborhood, much like the one you'll be going near, a kid not much older then 16 pulled a gun on me for my bike, luckily I was going pretty quickly and he decided not to shoot me. Again, it was a cheap bike, in poor shape, but those that don't have one, and that grew up amongst violence will readily take yours.

People are shot for $20 bucks, looking at someone wrong, or being in the wrong neighborhood. It happens quite a lot, if you feel like that wouldn't happen to you, you need to re-evaluate reality. Tough lesson to learn the hard way.

If you get a flat near there, good luck. Your mom is being reasonable. If you can't detour around that area, I'd not do it.

Last edited by MilitantPotato; 10-03-09 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 04:05 PM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MilitantPotato
I was your age riding through a not so sketchy neighborhood, that I'd gone through many times. I got hit with a 2x4 in the back/neck and mugged for my bike.
It was a really crappy bike, but the group of 4-5 ghetto kids wanted it. I was 6' even at the time, 240lbs and fairly fit, I thought no-one would mess with me, but a chunk of wood and being outnumbered was more then enough, learned a lot about the world that day.

A few years later I was riding through a really bad neighborhood, much like the one you'll be going near, a kid not much older then 16 pulled a gun on me for my bike, luckily I was going pretty quickly and he decided not to shoot me. Again, it was a cheap bike, in poor shape, but those that don't have one, and that grew up amongst violence will readily take yours.

If you get a flat near there, good luck. Your mom is being reasonable. If you can't detour around that area, I'd not do it.
I can perfectly understand my mom's concerns, she's just the main factor in this. I know that what she says is ultimately the biggest factor, and I really do know where's she's coming from.

Bad neighborhoods are...well, bad. I've thought about carrying pepper spray, but it seems like too much. Yet, maybe it's just enough. See, I have no idea.
Old 10-03-09, 04:10 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRietz
So what I'm seeing really is just don't act or dress like a target and mind my own business. Seems simple enough.
Everyone is saying you'll likely get mugged, which is probable.
Minding your own business just keeps you from making enemies, it does not in any way guarantee shady types will leave you a lone, nor will it keep you safe (unmugged or alive.)
Old 10-03-09, 04:14 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can perfectly understand my mom's concerns, she's just the main factor in this. I know that what she says is ultimately the biggest factor, and I really do know where's she's coming from.

Bad neighborhoods are...well, bad. I've thought about carrying pepper spray, but it seems like too much. Yet, maybe it's just enough. See, I have no idea.
Pepper spray is great against say, dogs, a single person not under the influence of drugs, and other minor threats. In the real world, it's fairly useless for surprise attacks. If you where to get mugged, I guarantee it will be because someone noticed you ride by at the same time each day, and sets up the mugging. Hard to pepper spray someone when you've been knocked to the ground or hit by a large object (bat, wood, tire iron) or attacked by a group of people.

Othertimes someone just needs to get high, or that is already high and feeling a little fiesty, pepperspray does nothing to someone going through withdrawl or higher then a kite and you're standing between them and a bike good enough to buy a hit.

Bet bet is to go well around bad areas, or carry a firearm.
Old 10-03-09, 04:23 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Everyone is saying you'll likely get mugged, which is probable.
Minding your own business just keeps you from making enemies, it does not in any way guarantee shady types will leave you a lone, nor will it keep you safe (unmugged or alive.)
I can understand your cynical outlook after becoming a victim yourself...but for every person that is a victim of a mugging, literally thousands go on about their day without incident. In other words, while the odds make it more likely than a lightning strike, it doesn't make it a certainty or even a 50/50 proposition.
Even in the worst neighborhoods there are people who never experience a mugging or violence during the period they live/work there. I'm sorry the odds got you, but that doesn't mean everyone is gonna get the short end of the stick.

But it does bring to mind something I omitted to share with the OP: Don't follow the same routine.
You can't stop something from happening to you totally at random, but you can make it harder for someone to plan to jack you. Mix things up a little, don't always be at the same place at the same time or use the same exact route or stop at the same exact places, etc.

Of course the other point that I think you and others are trying to make are quite valid...best way to keep out of trouble is to avoid it...so if you know someplace is sketchy, avoidance is a good thing, if possible.
Old 10-03-09, 04:45 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can understand your cynical outlook after becoming a victim yourself...but for every person that is a victim of a mugging, literally thousands go on about their day without incident. In other words, while the odds make it more likely than a lightning strike, it doesn't make it a certainty or even a 50/50 proposition.
Even in the worst neighborhoods there are people who never experience a mugging or violence during the period they live/work there. I'm sorry the odds got you, but that doesn't mean everyone is gonna get the short end of the stick.
Very true, but IMO, if the risk to self is high, and the chances are fairly good, it's wise to avoid what is avoidable.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but given a longer commute vs risking being attacked by choosing the easier route...

A healthy fear of putting ones self in danger is a good thing. There's a reason people are afraid to live in bad neighborhoods, and those well enough off, move ASAP. It's not because they KNOW they're going to be attacked, but that it's more likely than in a "good" neighborhood.

Some people enjoy risks, like sky diving, racing, etc. I can understand that, since it's fun and you only live once. I can't see what's fun about riding through a bad neighborhood that can be avoided, though.

Just my 15 cents.
Old 10-03-09, 04:47 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can't see what's fun about riding through a bad neighborhood that can be avoided, though.
Hookers and blow!
Old 10-03-09, 05:00 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First off, thanks for writing a post that can actually be read and understood. Second, do you have any friends that could ride with you? I would imagine your chances would be better and your mom happier if you were not alone.
Old 10-03-09, 05:04 PM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glynis27
First off, thanks for writing a post that can actually be read and understood. Second, do you have any friends that could ride with you? I would imagine your chances would be better and your mom happier if you were not alone.
I do have some fixed gear riding friends, and I can try to talk them into it. Otherwise I can consult the other cycling club members at our school and see what's up.
Old 10-03-09, 05:16 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hookers and blow!
Well played. You win.
Old 10-03-09, 05:21 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do have some fixed gear riding friends, and I can try to talk them into it. Otherwise I can consult the other cycling club members at our school and see what's up.
Just remember what I said about drawing undue attention to yourself, routines and perceptions. One dork riding his bike each day is less noticeable than a bunch of dorks riding their bikes each day. You don't want anyone to think you are outsiders encroaching upon their turf.

Not calling you a dork of course, just using the perception of the other dorks who might notice you.
Old 10-03-09, 05:23 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well played. You win.
no really, got any?
Old 10-03-09, 05:30 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having to ride through a boozed up city centre with few police around on Friday and Saturday nights after a late shift, I find switching down a few gears and riding "light" is always good. A lower gear makes being able to sprint off suddenly easier. By riding "light" I mean focused and ready to get out of the saddle and power off and being able to use your body to maneuver away from danger.

A strong helmet mounted head light, (enough to dazzle someone), although it might attract attention to you can give you those extra seconds to make your escape.

Nothing however beats planning your routes and making friends with the local bar bouncers!

Last edited by Jonahhobbes; 10-03-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 05:33 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One dork riding his bike each day is less noticeable than a bunch of dorks riding their bikes each day.
This is true. I feel like they would be less likely to mess with multiple people though. However, I'm just a suburban/rural boy. I've never had to deal with any of this. Oh yeah, just ride faster.
Old 10-03-09, 05:33 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
Nothing however beats planning your routes and making friends with the local bar bouncers!
You bring up an excellent point - knowing the area like the back of your hand is a good thing...especially if you gotta run or take an unexpected, but necessary, detour.
Old 10-03-09, 05:45 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a "bad" neighborhood, but I guess I don't really get what "bad' is exactly. So far this year, there have been 5 homicides in the closest "good" area and 1 in my little barrio. Chipcom's advice is good, and I've never met anyone who was mugged when they weren't riding alone. Even one other person with you is a huge deterrent.
Old 10-03-09, 07:02 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DRietz, imagine you have a flat in the worst part of the area and have to fix it. Would you still feel ok changing it right then and there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.