Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trouble deciding on a LBS to take my bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trouble deciding on a LBS to take my bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 06:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What is a "Lance Armstrong biker"?
Lance Armstrong? That's so 2005.
Old 04-04-23, 06:53 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
EDIT: I don't see my edit reflecting, but this is far SE Chicago/NW Indiana border if anyone has local recommendations.

I want to take my bike in to a LBS (today would be great) to ask some questions about issues I'm having, but I can't decide where to go.

First of all, there are no shops that are actually local to me. I've looked for "local" suggestions on social media, and most are over an hour away (not convenient). There are a handful that are relatively closer, but I can't settle on one. I read their online reviews and zero in on the most critical ones. 😕

I have anxiety so decision-making in general is a very overwhelming and stressful thing for me. I'm literally in tears right now because of this. 😢
Do you belong to any bike clubs in your area? If so, you could ask other riders who they trust and who they don't.

I wouldn't fret too much about your decision unless one shop stands out as having many negative reviews. One thing to note is that the better shops have more customers and therefore will have longer wait times for repairs. So don't disqualify a shop just because you will have to wait a week or two to get your bike repaired. Just the opposite. Unless it's a very simple problem, you will have to leave your bike. Just like with contractors, if the shop says they can do your major repairs today, run the other way!
Old 04-04-23, 06:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I have 2 that I use depending on what I need done. local is better if possible, but sometimes traveling a little for a certain kind of service, makes sense to me

good luck! don't be nervous, bike shops are mostly very friendly places. sometimes can be very busy, especially in the spring. but it's early yet
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-04-23, 07:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I have no local suggestions, because I have never lived there. But given your description of the circumstances, it might be wise to just pick one of the close ones, show up with the bike, and ask your questions. If you are uncomfortable with the replies, apparently there are few alternatives. Generally speaking, local bike shops are not run by people hoping to get rich, so there's an excellent chance you might wander into one that is helpful.

If it is a bicycle you bought cheaply, at Walmart or Target, it's less likely most local bike shops will choose to work on something like that for you. It's nothing personal, but a decision dictated by economics and liability insurance.

Good luck with the issues. It's not worthwhile getting upset over a bicycle that is temporarily not working well.
I know a shop owner who refused to work on most BSOs because often the repair would fail and the bike owner would come back and blame him. It wasn’t worth the money and hassle.
Old 04-04-23, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I have 2 that I use depending on what I need done. local is better if possible, but sometimes traveling a little for a certain kind of service, makes sense to me

good luck! don't be nervous, bike shops are mostly very friendly places. sometimes can be very busy, especially in the spring. but it's early yet
+1.

The owner of a small shop also builds custom ti frames. Before he closed due to the pandemic, I took the bike he built for me back to him for work even though it meant a drive. My touring/commuting bike went to a shop close to home. I could ride it there and pick it up when the work was finished and ride it home.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-04-23, 10:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know a shop owner who refused to work on most BSOs because often the repair would fail and the bike owner would come back and blame him. It wasn’t worth the money and hassle.
a friend once brought me a bike that her husband bought for her, to get it ride ready. he literally bought her a new bike that she couldn't ride. took about a minute for me to turn her away, w/ my apologies. some parts looked like they were made from thick tin foil. um ... that's a NOPE
Old 04-06-23, 12:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I find Yelp.com very helpful to find good dealers and tradespeople. There are likely to be dozens of reviews for a business and you can get a good overall idea of the level of service they provide.