Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something for the science nerds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 12:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts

It's an interesting experiment, to say the least.

Likes For Korina:
Old 04-06-23, 03:59 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
It's an interesting experiment, to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8oVR4k5Dk
Wow. That was pretty cool. Too bad it didn't work as well as hoped, but who knows what further development might discover. Neat idea for sure. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-06-23, 04:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Wow. That was pretty cool. Too bad it didn't work as well as hoped, but who knows what further development might discover. Neat idea for sure. Thanks for posting.
You're welcome. Have you checked out his channel? He's done a lot of interesting experiments, including making an ebike using a drone motor. (Spoiler: it works, but...)
Old 04-06-23, 05:19 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Quite an amazing project! And the tech he uses and even the ad at the end are interesting.

Otto
Old 04-06-23, 06:51 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
You're welcome. Have you checked out his channel? He's done a lot of interesting experiments, including making an ebike using a drone motor. (Spoiler: it works, but...)
First I heard of him. It sounds pretty interesting. I do have some engineering background thanks to my MOS in the military, so I understood the concept but the details were a little too "in the weeds" for me to follow. Pretty neat none-the-less.

I do like the Smarter Every Day channel and Mark Rober but I haven't really had a lot of time to watch that kind of stuff the last year with my school schedule. Fortunately, that is coming to an end in just a few weeks and I'll be able to come up for air.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-06-23, 11:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
It's clearly a very lossy coupler, so what's the point of it?
Old 04-07-23, 01:00 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's clearly a very lossy coupler, so what's the point of it?
For cycling? No point. Magnetic gearboxes are cool and do have real advantages in certain applications but in variable transmissions and in highly varied output force environments like cycling the efficiency loss rises to untenable levels.

I mean, there's no wear components so in that regard it's a cool idea. However with the low forces of cycling, a traditional gearing system that's properly lubricated and maintained (like rohloff) can last almost indefinitely and has far higher efficiency.
Likes For elcruxio: