Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur H-Limit Adjustment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Front derailleur H-Limit Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 10:38 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i don't think all FD shifters have trimming. yours may not. my older ones don't but my newer ones do.
Mine does have trimming. Tiagra 4600. I didn’t know anything about it then, it’s the mechanic who mentioned it and showed me how it works.
Old 04-04-23, 11:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
So this is cable problem? What’s the fix? Just tighten the barrel adjuster? In Calvin Jones’ fd adjustment, after the h-limit setup, he did fd indexing ( which i don’t see in any fd tune up tutorials) where while on the big ring, he intentionally caused movement on the derailleur via the barrel adjuster, then readjusted it until there is no more movement. Is this the fix? Cause i also thought of doing that as a possible fix.
Yes, that’s the fix. Your cable isn’t tight enough. Be careful not to get the cable too tight or allow the derailer to move too far outboard. This can cause lag on downshifts. The outer plate should just clear the chain when in the large ring/small cog combination. Some adjustment with the barrel adjuster may be needed over time as the cable gets rid of the construction stretch. Eventually, the cable should bed in and stop stretching but it may take some time.

Mine does have trimming. Tiagra 4600. I didn’t know anything about it then, it’s the mechanic who mentioned it and showed me how it works.
The trim feature should work on the middle ring. It’s not a feature for the outer ring.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-23, 12:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
5800/6800/9000 (the 1st 11-speed generation) was the first Shimano generation to have trimming. Generations before that didn't.
My 6503 (9 speed triple) had trimming. There were 4 clicks for three rings. I can't remember if the trim was between the middle and small or middle and large (maybe both?). IIRC, my wife's Tiagra triple 9 speed also had 4 click trim.

I guess I always assumed that the 6500 double had trim (i.e. three clicks for two rings). and the 105 and Dura Ace of that era also had trim. I guess I'm wrong?

This article on FD trim involves Shimano 10 speed:
Can someone explain the trim operation on shimano 105 — BikeRadar

FWIW, Sram 10 speed double shifters had trim (3 clicks) until, I they came out with yaw FDs then I think they might have done away with the three click trim? Really have no idea on that because I have "original" 10 speed shifters with three clicks and they work with both the original FD I have on one bike and the newer Yaw FD on the other.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-04-23 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 12:44 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Could be if he wants to simplify bike maintenance. Absolutely as helpful as a post judging another post as useless.
No much less useful. Rather than arguing why don't you just say, I know it doesn't at all help the OP with his issue, but I just thought I'd mention it in case he wasn't aware of these legacy options. FWIW, friction shifting - in my personal experience having friction shifted for the first 20 years of my cycling life - is very fussy with cassettes 9 speed and larger. Meaning difficult to do quickly and accurately without fussing with trimming the friction lever. Not talking about FD, it's as easy now as it was in the 5 speed era.
Old 04-04-23, 02:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
My 6503 (9 speed triple) had trimming. There were 4 clicks for three rings. I can't remember if the trim was between the middle and small or middle and large (maybe both?). IIRC, my wife's Tiagra triple 9 speed also had 4 click trim.

I guess I always assumed that the 6500 double had trim (i.e. three clicks for two rings). and the 105 and Dura Ace of that era also had trim. I guess I'm wrong?

This article on FD trim involves Shimano 10 speed:
Can someone explain the trim operation on shimano 105 — BikeRadar
I have to eat crow on this one. Yes, older groups had trim, but older doubles had them in only one direction. It wasn't until 5800/6800/9000 that doubles had a trim point going down from the large to small ring. This is what virtually eliminted the problem of chain drop.

FWIW, Sram 10 speed double shifters had trim (3 clicks) until, I they came out with yaw FDs then I think they might have done away with the three click trim?
Yes, it's true that the SRAM yaw systems no longer have trim positions. In theory, you no longer need trim positions, but it's very tricky to set up.
Old 04-04-23, 07:45 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, that’s the fix. Your cable isn’t tight enough. Be careful not to get the cable too tight or allow the derailer to move too far outboard. This can cause lag on downshifts. The outer plate should just clear the chain when in the large ring/small cog combination. Some adjustment with the barrel adjuster may be needed over time as the cable gets rid of the construction stretch. Eventually, the cable should bed in and stop stretching but it may take some time.
When Calvin Jones did that fd indexing, the h-limit is set and there’s no more chain rub. Mine does, and there’s that small movement when you push the lever. Do i need to loosen the h-limit a bit to remove chain rub before fixing this movement with the barrel adjuster?
Old 04-04-23, 08:18 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

When Calvin Jones did that fd indexing, the h-limit is set and there’s no more chain rub. Mine does, and there’s that small movement when you push the lever. Do i need to loosen the h-limit a bit to remove chain rub before fixing this movement with the barrel adjuster?
Not unless the chain is rubbing when the cable is tight. But be careful about the tightness of the cable. It can interfere with the action of the derailer on downshifts. It’s a bit of a Goldilocks situation. It really has to be “just right”.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-23, 08:30 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It really has to be “just right”.
Calvin Jones’ immortal words.

Anyway, thanks. Holy Thursday here tomorrow, long holiday. Got a lot of time to tinker with my bike.
Old 04-04-23, 10:15 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Lombard
...Yes, it's true that the SRAM yaw systems no longer have trim positions. In theory, you no longer need trim positions, but it's very tricky to set up.
I got a yaw FD for some reason (maybe when I was looking for parts for a new 10 speed build with shifters I had on hand?), but kept the old style shifters with the trim positions. I just use them that way and don't really know if the yaw works well without trim.
Old 04-05-23, 06:10 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I got a yaw FD for some reason (maybe when I was looking for parts for a new 10 speed build with shifters I had on hand?), but kept the old style shifters with the trim positions. I just use them that way and don't really know if the yaw works well without trim.
I installed Force 22 shifters and derailleurs on my road bike. It took awhile, but I finally got it silent on every combo except large-large which I never use anyway.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-08-23, 10:20 AM
iamLefty

cyccommute Hey man. Came back here to say it worked. After tightening the barrel adjuster that fixed the fd movement, i did have to tighten the h-limit a bit to shorten the gap between outer fd plate chain to 1mm. Did not affect shifting at all, if anything, i think it shifts a little better. Again, thanks!
Likes For iamLefty:
Old 04-08-23, 05:22 PM
cyccommute 

cyccommute Hey man. Came back here to say it worked. After tightening the barrel adjuster that fixed the fd movement, i did have to tighten the h-limit a bit to shorten the gap between outer fd plate chain to 1mm. Did not affect shifting at all, if anything, i think it shifts a little better. Again, thanks!

Likes For cyccommute: