Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Valve stem hole not anywhere close to inner rim rubber guard

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 01:14 AM
Backupg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello bicycle enthusiasts! I've been replacing my inner tube tyre on my road bike for a bit now and I've noticed that for some reason this weird inner/on the rim rubber guard's designated hole for my valve stem hole is horribly out of place and it took a while for me to get the old tube out there (in fact the old tyre tube and it's valve were kind of just stretching this piece of rubber out all the way) Was just wondering what this is and if whether this tyre is worth using a brand new tyre tube on or whether the whole thing is just cactus and that I should get myself just a whole new tyre instead. Did I cause this or does this mean the bike tyre was just messed up to begin with??

Thank you!

(I've tried to add a picture of the issue here but the site won't let me, sorry!)
Old 05-26-23, 04:16 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
You can just move the rubber rim strip to line up with the hole in the rim.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-26-23, 06:09 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Like dsaul said, you should be able to just remove and reinstall the rubber rim strip. If the wheel is really old, the rubber may be brittle and/or stretched out, or maybe fused to the rim, and then you just replace it.

They still sell the rubber ones, but a better solution is to use adhesive rim tape. Velox is the preferred brand - it lasts nearly forever and stays in place. Be sure to order the correct width for your rims. Or just order rubber ones if that's easier for you.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 05-26-23, 10:12 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Backupg
weird inner/on the rim rubber guard
It's called rim tape.
Attached Images
Old 05-26-23, 03:13 PM
Jeff Neese

Whichever you choose, rubber rim strips or adhesive rim tape like Velox, this is a VERY important thing. Don't skimp and don't neglect to replace it if needed. A lot of flat tires happen because people don't pay attention to this.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 05-26-23 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 03:59 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Gorilla tape cut to width works well also. stretch it tight as you apply it.

/markp
Old 05-26-23, 04:55 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Gorilla tape cut to width works well also. stretch it tight as you apply it.

/markp
As much as I like Gorilla Tape, not a good use. The reason cloth tape or fibre banding is used is spokes tend to cut through anything else over time.
Gorilla tape is just duct tape on steroids. You could cheap out and use friction tape, but use two wraps not one.
Old 05-27-23, 06:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
As much as I like Gorilla Tape, not a good use. The reason cloth tape or fibre banding is used is spokes tend to cut through anything else over time.
Gorilla tape is just duct tape on steroids. You could cheap out and use friction tape, but use two wraps not one.
If there are exposed spoke ends on the inside, they're going to penetrate any rim tape. They are not supposed to protrude at all from the nipple, and if they do, that needs to be addressed.

There's no reason Gorilla tape wouldn't work in a pinch. Some people swear by "hockey tape", a.k.a friction tape, and supposedly surgical tape works also. I don't know why anyone wouldn't just use Velox though, especially since it comes in various widths and even has the hole already punched.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 05-27-23, 09:04 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
If there are exposed spoke ends on the inside, they're going to penetrate any rim tape. They are not supposed to protrude at all from the nipple, and if they do, that needs to be addressed.

There's no reason Gorilla tape wouldn't work in a pinch. Some people swear by "hockey tape", a.k.a friction tape, and supposedly surgical tape works also. I don't know why anyone wouldn't just use Velox though, especially since it comes in various widths and even has the hole already punched.
Pedantic much?
I am not talking about spokes protruding through a nipple as you well knew. Simply the spoke & nipple BOTH covered by a thin piece of plastic and a bit of fibre. Duct tape.
Rim tape is better.
Argue that.
Old 05-27-23, 10:27 AM
Jeff Neese

Pedantic much?
I am not talking about spokes protruding through a nipple as you well knew. Simply the spoke & nipple BOTH covered by a thin piece of plastic and a bit of fibre. Duct tape.
Rim tape is better.
Argue that.
If there are no spokes protruding through the nipple, then Gorilla tape (not to be confused with regular duct tape) works just fine. A lot of people use it. You do have to cut it to the proper width, so Velox is easier.
Old 05-27-23, 10:39 AM
Schweinhund

If there are no spokes protruding through the nipple, then Gorilla tape (not to be confused with regular duct tape) works just fine. A lot of people use it. You do have to cut it to the proper width, so Velox is easier.
I'm happy you've had a good experience with duct tape, in six months when you're getting mystery flats, look there first. Otherwise be a smart cookie and use Velox or 3M.
Old 05-27-23, 12:11 PM
Jeff Neese

I'm happy you've had a good experience with duct tape, in six months when you're getting mystery flats, look there first. Otherwise be a smart cookie and use Velox or 3M.
Nah. There are experienced mechanics that have been using Gorilla Tape for years. Personally I'd only use it in a pinch since I always keep several sizes of Velox on hand, but there are people that use Gorilla Tape as their first choice.
Old 05-27-23, 12:27 PM
Schweinhund

Nah. There are experienced mechanics that have been using Gorilla Tape for years. Personally I'd only use it in a pinch since I always keep several sizes of Velox on hand, but there are people that use Gorilla Tape as their first choice.
Just because all the kids down the street all jump off the cliff into the river doesn't mean it's smart.
Any work I do will have the proper materials installed.
If you choose to install a kludge, don't justify it by saying all the other kids do too.
Likes For Schweinhund: