Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 09:28 AM
Bookman

Bikes: Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't run anymore, Beverly. Or maybe a more positive way of expressing it: I haven't re-started yet. I loved running. We bought a house a few years ago and my running got derailed when the obsessiveness that fueled my running switched to fuel my house-hunt. But I'll run again.

Thanks for the welcomes everybody.
Old 07-01-08, 11:03 PM
hoo_koo
Cantree Member

Bikes: 2001 Trek OCLV, 1986 Trek 560 Reynolds 531c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
I'll be 52 later this year.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I have a pair of Trek road bikes, born 16 years apart ('85 & '01). Also a pair of aged, neglected mountain bikes hanging in the garage.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No... unless you count caffeine?

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Three years ago I was 20 lbs heavier and my cholesterol level was in the upper 200's. Doc recommended a daily statin, exercise and weight loss. My workplace had just opened a on-site health club, so I joined up, and also started getting more consistent miles in on the bike. Weight & hdl/ldl are down to the 140s and my avg mph is up.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Started in the early 80s when I was working swing-shift and needed something to do during the mornings. Cycling's been my favorite activity ever since.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
An average ride for me now is 40~60 miles on a weekend ride, and I like the challenge of a good climb, especially since losing the weight. I try to do a few organized rides, especially because they provide goals to train for.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Most of the year I'm riding a couple times during the week and a longer ride on the weekends. The past couple of months I've added bike commuting a few times a week (30 mile round-trip) and I'm usually able to devote at least one day per weekend for a moderate-to-long ride, thanks to a very understanding wife, and plenty of encouragement & good-natured competition from some fellow riders at work. Not sure about annual mileage because I usually manage to muck up the odometer on my bike before the year is out, but I'll estimate that in the last few years I've averaged about 2500 miles. This year it'll (hopefully) be more like 3K. Currently at about 1600 (not including LifeCycle or magtrainer miles)

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Other than helping my son work on his fitness for soccer, and helping my wife work on our garden and other landscaping projects, cycling is it, and it's still what I love best. During the winter months I spend more time in the gym to maintain fitness, as available riding time is short. I swam and played golf during my high school years, skiied in my post-college years... But nowadays swimming is monotonous to me, golf maddening and I hate being really cold. I'd rather spend the time on the bike.
Old 07-01-08, 11:07 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.
Old 07-31-08, 09:32 PM
Merfman

Bikes: Douglas Matrix, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

2007 Douglas Matrix
2006 Specialized FSR Stumpjumper
2005 CRF450R (Motocross)
2003 KTM450EXC (Enduro)
2006 Beta Rev 3 (Trials)
(I'm a two-wheel addict)

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

No.

None really, it just hurts more these days.

Been road biking for a little under a year. MTB for 3 years. Motorcycles, 20+

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Mostly lunchtime rides but I've done Buena Vista (50 miles), Pedal the Platte, Blue River Century, Triple Bypass and hopefully will finish the Copper Triangle this weekend.

I bike 3-5 times a week, depending on weather. Don't have a clue yet on annual mileage.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I turn 51 in December. Don't plan on slowing down anytime soon.

Thanks to everyone in this forum, it's such a breath of fresh air to find other adventurous souls!
Old 02-10-09, 07:40 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Well, it looks as if this former sticky thread, active since 08-25-04, 12:44 PM, deserved to DIE!!

I just like to revive this thread every now and then.
Old 02-10-09, 08:41 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

With 52,894 views, this thread deserves a little respect!!
Old 02-10-09, 08:48 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just mooned this thread.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-10-09, 08:49 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
52 years old - Old guy bearded picture posted for fun in my profile. It's a two month once a decade look.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I tend to collect, repair, build and sell.... here is my stable
Raleigh Gran Sport fixed/ss, Schwin Parmamount 86, Motobecane Grand Record 76,
Scattante CX w/Bionx, Peugeot PX10 70, Alan Shorter Custom w/Chorus 72,
Colnago Ovalmaster 01, Miyata Carbon TT 90, Fuji World Double 04,
Fuji 05 (project),Giant Yukon 00 MTB

Most are quality steel, Al/CF CX, titanium/cf, and old school CF. Some have fenders/racks. Most are bar end shifters, one down tube, one brifter, two STI. One 10 speed, two eight, one seven, many nine speed. I ride all of them and commute with most.

multi-tab, vitamin C, fish oil, green tea, MSM, CoQ10

A lot recently due to stress, sickness, bad weather - and now fat. I was worse in my mid 40s.

A lot in my teen years in Germany. Some just out of college. Picked it back up 2001 and started commuting 2006.

Almost all road/MUP on road bikes. Almost all commuting. I hope to build up to at least one century this year after not attempting one for two years. Once fit again I might like to try MTB if I had someone experienced to ride with.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? 2-5 commutes a week of 18 miles round trip. I'd like to build up to routine 25 mile rides and train for a century. Perhaps 2,000 - 3,000 per year
Old 02-10-09, 08:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

We caught a live one!

Hi! robtown
Old 02-11-09, 02:05 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Since I missed this thread the first time around, I'll answer now.
1) Specialized Hard Rock converted to street commuter bike, Bacchetta Giro 20, American Eagle/Nishiki, Giant Stiletto, Bikes to Work 64AW trailer.
2) I've given up drinking Pepsi as my main form of nutrition. I actually eat real food now.
3) I used to average 12 mph point to point, but now I'm down to about 7mph point to point. I attribute this to moving from somewhere flat to somewhere that is endless rolling hills.
4) I've biked since I taught myself to ride at age 5 1/2.
5) I am a utility rider and commuter. I have done one century though.
6) I bike daily and always get to my destination and back.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-11-09, 06:38 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Nothing like keeping a good thing going, (and going and going and going!)

53 years old - Mind thinks it's 25, Body thinks it's 85!

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Current: 08 Roadmaster Mnt. Sport SX, Comming Soon: 09 Jamis Trail-X 2.0 MTB.

multi-vitamin

Yep, rode quite a bit in 2005, with the Colorado Springs Bicycle Club on a Fuji Hybrid, quite riding in 2006, just started again, late 2008 and MAN am I SLOW!! Rail-Trails I used to FLY on I'm just now able to do in the center ring of a triple!!

Rode EVERYWHERE as a teen, got into serious LD Touring in early 80's, gave it up for the total "laidbackness" of Mountain Biking in the mid-80's. Back on a bike in 2005 and now starting all over in 2008/09.

Mostly long Rail-Trail rides or some of the minor singletrack thru out Colorado Springs. Would like to get a "2nd. set of wheel's" with more "Road Type Tires" to do some of the "shorter" rides within area Organized Century Rides" with the Mrs..

It's all according to the WEATHER, I'm a wuss, it's gota be mid-40's and SUNNY or I just can't get motived, or maybe I just NEED better bicycle clothing I've been avg. 1-2 25 mile rides since December 08 a week, will do more as the weather get's better, cause DenverFox is going to run me into the ground at the 50+ Ride in August 2009, unless I get some MILES!!

Old 02-11-09, 06:56 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Please tell us your age.

This 50+er rides a Madone 4.5 and a Trek 7500, but not at the same time.

Calcium, fish oil. Thinking of adding glucosamine.

Not a whit. I've been in better shape, but never as fit as I am now. This last year I have done more to improve my health habits that I ever though possible and I've reveled in every minute of it. And I will be more fit next year.

Been riding a bike all my life. Been biking about a year. Like so many, I only wish I would have gotten serious sooner.

Recreational and exercise. Trying to follow an actual routine now. Going to do my first century this summer.

In season, 3-5 times per week. 1200 miles last year, shooting for 2000 this year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
Old 02-12-09, 01:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

Some questions:
Please tell us your age.
53, going on 54.

Lots of them, but they're all steel.

A multivitamin and ascorbic acid.

I've never been very fast, but I don't feel that I've slowed down much either.

Since high school.

Mostly 20-40 mile recreational rides and commuting to work. An occasional century.

Weather permitting, every day. That said, I've only ridden once so far in 2009. I don't keep track of speed or miles. I just ride because I enjoy it.
Old 02-16-09, 05:07 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
A little late but thank you.
Old 02-16-09, 05:08 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly
Welcome, VNA
Thank you-- a little late!
Old 03-08-09, 05:44 AM
jungovox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
56 years old - quit smoking 5 months back - gained 10+ lbs, not overweight but freaked out by the only weight gain in my life . need to exercise started just two months ago - started biking two weeks ago -

just purchased trek 7100's for the wife and myself - love them - also purch'd a trek navigator 3.0 for myself - lots of fun

I don't but i should - this is all new to me

a little bit , but having never exercised this is both new and fun for me -

Born again biker - just two weeks ago - last time I biked was 1966

local neighborhood stuff at first - tried out proper bike trails - LOVE it.

nightly , now that we got the extra hour - weekends with my wife on the trails - just 10 miles a day at this point -
Old 03-08-09, 08:26 AM
knzn

Bikes: 1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I wasn't around when this thread was born. So ----

Please tell us your age. 52

In 9 months since the cycling bug hit me I have accumulated three bikes. In order of accumulation - 1.-Comfort bike from Dicks. 2.- 20 yr old ridgid frame RockHopper from Craigslist. 3. - A very new Trek 1000 also from Craigslist.

Not at this time.

From say when I was 18? Yes.

New, 9 months counting a winter with little riding time.

Mostly hour long rides squeezed in after work, trying to make a longer ride on Saturday or Sunday. 25 miles is my current longest ride.

Haven't ridden long enough to have good stats. 1-3 times a week. Logged 115 miles in Feb. Would love to find a club/group my age-speed to go on rides with. It would be nice if my wife could get into this also, but I don't see it happening.

Edited to ad - When I got the comfort bike, i told myself that my only goal/reason for biking was for fun and exercize. Well, as an ex moto-crosser (30 yrs ago!) I found myself doing things a little over my head and could even feel some frame flex stuff happening. So, Got the old Rockhopper. Should be all I need, right? Well, there just isn't many dirt trail handy around here, so---Trek 1000! Should be all I need. Right?

Last edited by knzn; 03-08-09 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 08:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I think I didn't add to this thread before it was cut afloat, so I'll do it now, too. It's a good thing.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

I have four lugged steel classics: a Trek 610, a Mondonico with Campy 10 speed, a Woodrup, and a classic Masi Gran Criterium. I'm interested in being comfy over a long distance, so there might be a conversion or puchase of a brevet bike.

I take ibuprophen as needed, glucosamine/chondritin when I remember, and a multivitamin most days. I'm open to recommendations.

Hard to say. I restarted cycling maybe 5 years ago, and I've definitely gotten better (faster, farther, stronger) since then, but I dropped cycling when I was 25, and I'm certainly not back to that level.

'bout the past 5 years, and when young for around 20 years, 10 years on real road bikes.

Long rides (up to 45 miles so far), short rec rides, and starting next week I'll be doing in-town errands on bike (just got laid off!)

In-season maybe four rides on a good week, perhaps 75 miles. Plan for this spring is to grow the mileage up to a July century. This winter I've had three 1-hour trainer rides on good weeks.

Now 55 years old

Denver, ignore please all the trouble I give you! This is a good thing.

Road Fan

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-08-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 01:39 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think I didn't add to this thread before it was cut afloat, so I'll do it now, too. It's a good thing.

Now 55 years old

Denver, ignore please all the trouble I give you! This is a good thing.

Road Fan
You gave me trouble?

Must have been more than a week ago, 'cause I don't recall!

Shall we make this a sticky again?
Old 03-08-09, 01:43 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You gave me trouble?

Yes Please.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-08-09, 01:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
You gave me trouble?

Can't remember the bad stuff! God bless the 50=plussers!

Yes, make it a sticky. I was never really in favor of floating a lot of the former stickies.

Road Fan
Old 03-08-09, 03:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by stapfam
Yes Please.
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, make it a sticky. I was never really in favor of floating a lot of the former stickies.

Road Fan
This thread was a sticky for several years, until Catweazle (I wonder where he went) determined that this was not a suitable "sticky" and we mostly agreed and cut it loose.

I have always enjoyed it.

It is likely the single most comprehensive single compendium of not-so-useful information about 50+ bicycle riders in existence.

What say the rest of you?
Old 03-08-09, 05:10 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Keep it a sticky thread is fine with me.
Old 03-08-09, 08:29 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Anyone else with comments about returning this thread to a sticky?
Old 03-08-09, 10:22 PM
Bill1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

No name beach cruiser - for toting me and my surfboard to the beach, riding on the beach, to the tennis courts, and around the neighborhood.
Nishiki Cascade - for riding trails (fairly easy ones) and for longer distance rides on the road

Chewable multivitamin, not very special.

I still do the same things I have allways done - I just used to be a lot better at them.

Learned as a young kid and have never stopped.

To the beach or tennis courts - less than 1/2 mile.
On the beach or around the neighborhood - usually about 5 miles.
Longer rides for fitness - usually 15 to 25 miles.

I do not keep track, but guessing 400 to 500 miles per year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.