Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me bulletproof my daily driver

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 10:00 AM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

I have a Mongoose Envoy cargo bike that I converted to electric with a Bafang mid drive. This bike is awesome. It's fast and has more rugged than a regular bike which I need with my weight. But last few days I've been getting flats.

I ordered some new tubes but they didn't last. I noticed the tire had some of the bead torn off so I want to replace both front and rear tires with something better. I don't care about weight because the motor has more than enough power to make up for it.

I'm looking at tire inserts, slime and thicker tubes as well. Whatever works. Also I find that the wheels are very skinny compared to the width of the tire.

Anyway what's the best choice for a 250 pound rider?
Old 06-30-23, 10:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,046 Times in 2,699 Posts
Schwalbe Big Apples and Tannus inserts and normal tubes, keep them properly inflated and that should work not bulletproof but I am assuming you aren't actually trying to dodge bullets.

The bike was set up to look like a cargo bike but doesn't seem to be a well spec'd machine but maybe better than most of the Mongeese out there from Wally-Mart and such but not how I would do a modern cargo bike. So the narrow wheels and things like that are sensible as they probably found what was super cheap. They didn't even spec a 36h or 40h wheel for the back on a cargo bike which is a really poor choice on their part but sometimes these companies know their customers want to look the part without the performance of the part.
Old 06-30-23, 10:39 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
I have a Mongoose Envoy cargo bike that I converted to electric with a Bafang mid drive. This bike is awesome. It's fast and has more rugged than a regular bike which I need with my weight. But last few days I've been getting flats.

I ordered some new tubes but they didn't last. I noticed the tire had some of the bead torn off so I want to replace both front and rear tires with something better. I don't care about weight because the motor has more than enough power to make up for it.

I'm looking at tire inserts, slime and thicker tubes as well. Whatever works. Also I find that the wheels are very skinny compared to the width of the tire.

I usually avoid inserts and slime.
As usual, I suggest Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, and I think you bike has 26x 2.35' tires, and the Marathons have up to 26x2.0"

If you want REALLY bullet proof, go with the marathons.

(I didn't know the Envoy has a motor. *the more you know)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 06-30-23, 11:09 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
I noticed the tire had some of the bead torn off so I want to replace both front and rear tires with something better.
Simply buying ANY new tyres would be better.

That's why you are swapping tubes every other week.

Not sure why anyone would want to ride with old totally finished crap tyres. Each their own.

A good brand new tyre is a lot cheaper than a lifetime supply of tubes and slime.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-30-23, 11:59 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I don't think it does, and unless I missed it the webpage the Envoy page the OP linked doesn't mention one.

The OP said he "converted to electric with a Bafang mid drive". From a very cursory check on Amazon and elsewhere, I believe those Bafang kits include a motor that's added to a bike without one.

Not at all familiar with eBikes or conversions, so I could be wrong
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-30-23, 12:10 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
I usually avoid inserts and slime.
As usual, I suggest Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, and I think you bike has 26x 2.35' tires, and the Marathons have up to 26x2.0"

If you want REALLY bullet proof, go with the marathons.

"...that I converted to electric with a Bafang mid drive."
and now you know, i hope.
Old 06-30-23, 01:14 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Schwalbe Big Apples and Tannus inserts and normal tubes, keep them properly inflated and that should work not bulletproof but I am assuming you aren't actually trying to dodge bullets.

The bike was set up to look like a cargo bike but doesn't seem to be a well spec'd machine but maybe better than most of the Mongeese out there from Wally-Mart and such but not how I would do a modern cargo bike. So the narrow wheels and things like that are sensible as they probably found what was super cheap. They didn't even spec a 36h or 40h wheel for the back on a cargo bike which is a really poor choice on their part but sometimes these companies know their customers want to look the part without the performance of the part.
I'll tell you what I rally want. I want to fit the biggest, widest wheels and tires on my bike with a 3-speed internal hub. Something like this...

https://www.huskybicycles.com/with-3-speed-hub.html
Old 06-30-23, 01:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,037 Posts
... As usual, I suggest Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, and I think you bike has 26x 2.35' tires, and the Marathons have up to 26x2.0"

If you want REALLY bullet proof, go with the marathons. ...
Second that. Marathon+ will survive all manners of bike lane debris.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-30-23, 01:41 PM
soyabean

I'll tell you what I rally want. I want to fit the biggest, widest wheels and tires on my bike with a 3-speed internal hub.
Didn't you say elsewhere that you flip bikes? I assume you make a profit, right?

My suggestion is to take the profits and buy a brand new BSO bike with that.

Win!
Old 06-30-23, 02:40 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by soyabean
Didn't you say elsewhere that you flip bikes? I assume you make a profit, right?

My suggestion is to take the profits and buy a brand new BSO bike with that.

Win!
**** off.
Old 06-30-23, 03:41 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
I don't think it does, and unless I missed it the webpage the Envoy page the OP linked doesn't mention one.

The OP said he "converted to electric with a Bafang mid drive". From a very cursory check on Amazon and elsewhere, I believe those Bafang kits include a motor that's added to a bike without one.

Originally Posted by maddog34
"...that I converted to electric with a Bafang mid drive."
and now you know, i hope.
Yeah, yeah.
I was focused on the tire problem and overlooked the electric conversion.

Yeesh!
Old 06-30-23, 05:41 PM
soyabean

I was focused on the tire problem and overlooked the electric conversion.
Here's a photo of the BSO so it may help other BF members not to overlook.

That's right. It appears to be retailed exclusively by the amazons.

I would have just bought a real ebike instead of converting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mongoose_envoy.jpg (64.0 KB, 184 views)
Old 06-30-23, 07:37 PM
homeless in ca.

This is my bike. I changed the handlebars and took off the rack that supports the saddlebags because I never use them. The conversion is a work in progress. I need to remove the motor and reroute the derailleur cable which passes under the bottom bracket.

The rims are really skinny so before I buy new tires and inserts I'd like to get a wider rim and if possible maybe mount wider tires as well. And ideally I'd rather have an internal hub. I had a couple of bikes with internal gears and loved them. I don't need a lot of gears since we don't have a lot of hills here and I don't need to go that fast.

Another issue I have is this pin that came with my trailer. It's supposed to be mounted on the rear axle but in the 3 o'clock position. I had to twist it around a little because it's not a regular frame. It's ok like this the trailer end of the hitch has a lot of play in it. But I'm worried the quick release skewer isn't long enough. I keep taking it off to check but so far I've been using this new trailer for a few weeks and everything looks fine.

Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 06-30-23, 08:05 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by soyabean
Here's a photo of the BSO so it may help other BF members not to overlook.

That's right. It appears to be retailed exclusively by the amazons.

I would have just bought a real ebike instead of converting.
I have a Rad e-bike I don't like it. I wanted a mid drive cargo bike and building one myself was the best option for me. I got a used bike, the motor and two large batteries for about 2000 $CAD.

If I ruin this bike I can remove the motor and put it on another bike. I can build another bike using the same conversion kit and use the two batteries I already own to power it. Can't do that with store bought bikes.
Old 07-01-23, 01:43 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
you should find an all steel internal cam QR from a mid 95 and up MTB... they're around 145mm from cam face to the end.

Co-Ops usually keep double handfuls of them around.

just remember, if you Over-tighten a QR, it also Over-Tightens the Hub Bearings... QR hubs should have a Tiny bit of play in the axle when out of the bike

does the longer wheelbase help when towing a trailer?
have you weighed it when fully loaded?

Last edited by maddog34; 07-01-23 at 01:59 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-01-23, 06:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Not a bad looking bike. Love my Bafang mid drive as well.

As for tires, the Swalbe Marathons are probably one of the most puncture resistant tires out there, but they are over the top heavy. They really slow down a bike. tire inserts are the same, effective and noticeably slow a bike as well. Sounds like any new tire is going to be a step up from what you have. Just get a good set of new tires, most manufactures rate their tires by puncture resistance, and see if that solves your problem. I've run marathons, they stand up to goat heads like no tomorrow, but they literally take the joy out of riding.

Lots of articles on line about internal hubs and mid drives. I would be a little careful about sending all the torque through an internal hub. Your external derailleur will service you well with that set up.

As for skewers, I have bolt on ones on my Ebike

Amazon.com: Delta Axlerodz Bolt On Bicycle Skewers (1 Pair),extra large : Everything Else
Old 07-10-23, 07:03 AM
homeless in ca.

Ordered a pair of Schwalbe pick-up tires, new tubes and liners.
I didn't get the Marathons because I don't want a smaller tire. Reviews said the pick up tire is good for heavy bikes and puncture resistant.
Old 07-10-23, 07:52 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 348 Posts
This one has Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35 tyres on Rhyno Lite 559x22 rims. That bike is broadly the same spec as yours, except without the stretched rear end (it's an old aluminium frame, jump bike steel fork, mid-drive).
Old 07-10-23, 08:13 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6

The bafang conversion involves removing the crank and installing the motor there. Make sure the batteries can keep up, or the bafang will overheat them and well, fire!
Go tubeless.
Old 07-22-23, 08:15 PM
homeless in ca.

Ordered a pair of Schwalbe pick-up tires, new tubes and liners.
I didn't get the Marathons because I don't want a smaller tire. Reviews said the pick up tire is good for heavy bikes and puncture resistant.
The new tires arrived but I wasn't able to mount them on the skinny rims they are much thicker and stiffer. I put slime in the tubes and they're holding but I need new rims asap.
Old 07-26-23, 04:17 PM
homeless in ca.

I need help ordering a set of wheels please.
Old 07-27-23, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,046 Times in 2,699 Posts
I'll tell you what I rally want. I want to fit the biggest, widest wheels and tires on my bike with a 3-speed internal hub. Something like this...

https://www.huskybicycles.com/with-3-speed-hub.html
Oh gosh no, I would not want a 3 speed for a cargo bike, this is the IGH you want:https://enviolo.com/products/
Either the Heavy Duty or Extreme. It is super low maintenance (nothing to do in the hub) and can be shifted most anytime though is best while pedaling. Even more so if you are trying to run it as an e-bike as those hubs are designed with e-bikes in mind whereas those old 3 speeds are designed for light duty casual riding generally.

In terms of new wheels, I would not spend much money on the current bike I get the situation but get a proper cargo e-bike and you will be much happier it will be set up haul cargo. However if you really want to keep this going find a good wheel builder and explain to them what you are carrying and where you are riding and all of that and have them build you a set. Maybe not cheap but also not cheap and will be good and reliable.