Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage wheel tools score!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 03:46 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts

Last week I visited a bike store to buy some small parts for my resto project (cables, etc.) and have my wheels and breaks checked for safety. Going to a bike store is probably not a big deal for most of you, but is a big deal for me because the closest store is 30 miles away (FYI I didn't mind the drive because I combined it with other errands).

When I told the bike store owner (Gus) of my plans to do more vintage restorations in the future, he advised me to invest in some proper wheel tools. He had a vintage chrome Park wheel stand for sale. I initially balked at the asking price (around $300), but Gus showed me on the Internet that Park doesn't offer the stand in chrome anymore. I like the look of chrome better than bright blue (don't get me wrong - I like bright blue, but I like chrome more) and so long story short, the wheel stand followed me home. I also bought a Wheel Smith tool because I think that it would be more accurate than listening to me pinging the spokes. (I bought a few other tools too, but since they're not vintage, I'm not including them in this discussion.) I've got some questions about the Wheel Smith tool but I'll save that for another day. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-15-24, 03:55 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 437 Posts
I "scored" those long ago, bought them new and taught myself to build wheels with Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel". Still have all of it and getting ready to build another set of classic 1970's wheels.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-15-24, 04:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6295 Post(s)
Liked 4,331 Times in 2,427 Posts
That’s barely old! How about a 1950 Surre? I sure others have older truing stands but theirs probably never spent any time over Berlin.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-15-24, 04:48 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Sweet score!
Old 05-15-24, 05:20 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 3,502 Times in 2,276 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s barely old! How about a 1950 Surre? I sure others have older truing stands but theirs probably never spent any time over Berlin.

-----

great item, very nice find!

have you got the Surre nipple grip to go with it?

should wear some nitriles with mine as the bare aluminum always turns me fingers black...

-----
Old 05-15-24, 05:58 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

great item, very nice find!

have you got the Surre nipple grip to go with it?

should wear some nitriles with mine as the bare aluminum always turns me fingers black...

-----
No, I don’t. It’s also missing one of the indicator arms.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-16-24, 08:16 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, I don’t. It’s also missing one of the indicator arms.
Oops! Sorry, I can't spare one from mine. Perhaps improvise or adapt something in its stead? Prosthetic indicator arm?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-16-24, 10:54 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by John E
Oops! Sorry, I can't spare one from mine. Perhaps improvise or adapt something in its stead? Prosthetic indicator arm?
There was a recent listing on Fleabay (ended now) that had four indicator arms! I'm not really in need of one as the stand is my Tucson stand for just truing wheels. When I build, I use a Park stand. It's about the same vintage as the one Lamont Cobb found.

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-16-24 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 06:07 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 3,502 Times in 2,276 Posts
-----

does anyone know if Surre offered a dishing gauge?

-----
Old 05-17-24, 01:23 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
Last week I visited a bike store to buy some small parts for my resto project (cables, etc.) and have my wheels and breaks checked for safety. Going to a bike store is probably not a big deal for most of you, but is a big deal for me because the closest store is 30 miles away (FYI I didn't mind the drive because I combined it with other errands).

When I told the bike store owner (Gus) of my plans to do more vintage restorations in the future, he advised me to invest in some proper wheel tools. He had a vintage chrome Park wheel stand for sale. I initially balked at the asking price (around $300), but Gus showed me on the Internet that Park doesn't offer the stand in chrome anymore. I like the look of chrome better than bright blue (don't get me wrong - I like bright blue, but I like chrome more) and so long story short, the wheel stand followed me home. I also bought a Wheel Smith tool because I think that it would be more accurate than listening to me pinging the spokes. (I bought a few other tools too, but since they're not vintage, I'm not including them in this discussion.) I've got some questions about the Wheel Smith tool but I'll save that for another day. Thanks for reading.

Bought mine new over 30 years ago.
Old 05-17-24, 02:37 PM
Cyclescene

Bikes: Pinarello

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
total score!!!
Old 05-17-24, 03:45 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 3300 Post(s)
Liked 4,085 Times in 1,511 Posts
I didn't realize they had changed the color. I got one as part of a bulk purchase of bikes and tools about six years ago. Before that I was building wheels with some floppy $60 Minoura stand. You can build wheels without a good truing stand, but it's so much more pleasant to do with one.
Old 05-18-24, 07:23 AM
rmacdona

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale ST600, 1988 Fisher Mt. Tam, 1989 Cannondale SR800, 1998 Cannondale T500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The pictures of the TS-2 do not show the Caliper Arm and Caliper Adjusting Knobs. Were they included but not installed for the pictures? Should be easy enough to fab up replacements if otherwise missing.

Old 05-18-24, 07:53 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by rmacdona
The pictures of the TS-2 do not show the Caliper Arm and Caliper Adjusting Knobs. Were they included but not installed for the pictures? Should be easy enough to fab up replacements if otherwise missing.
Good catch. The correct knobs are available directly from Park (under “replacement parts” at the bottom of their home page) for about $7 each. Park is really good about getting the parts out quickly.