Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Moving to SoCal! What type of bike would compliment my hybrid out there?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Moving to SoCal! What type of bike would compliment my hybrid out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 02:42 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It doesn't have to be an actual gravel road...Dirt roads, forest service roads, utility roads and other unpaved tracks and roads are perfect for riding a gravel bike.
ummm...exactly. my old bleepy 1999 giant hybrid would be (slowly) able to navigate a lot. like a shark...keep moving forwards.

whatever gets your butt off the couch, out of the bed, out of the chair and out there.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-03-22 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-03-22, 08:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
33yearslate When the rider is ready, the bike will appear.
Old 01-03-22, 09:28 AM
33yearslate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
ooga booga knows what he is advising and a good gravel bike is all you really need for most of SoCal unless your planning to do single track downhills like at the ski slopes. You can see on youtube some advanced cyclist using gravel bikes and flying down most of the challenging hills in SoCal. One of my favorite guys to watch is SAFA Brian https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX1...URMO1wQWLfeiUg
Just watched this video. Uh.... WOWWWW.

I'm coming from a location where the entire ground is sea level near my place. I've literally NEVER had the opportunity to do any biking like this before. The small hills I've got a few miles out from me are nothing like this.

I still don't know whether I'm going to grab a hardtail or gravel bike, but regardless, this video brings a tear to my eye. Jeez man. It's practically one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

It seems like, ideally, if money and space were no issue, I'd have a road bike, gravel bike, and mtb, and alternate depending on the terrain. Gravel is definitely the most well rounded of those - but I think for socializing reasons, it may make more sense for me to grab a hardtail and then grab a road bike down the line for a different type of riding if I stay in the area. Then in a few years, I'll grab a gravel to round it out if I want.

My reason for leaning a bit more into wanting an mtb over gravel in the short term I think (but please let me know if I'm thinking about this wrong) is because:

a. It will be easier to find a group of people to ride with on mtb since it's more of a "defined" sort of activity given the terrain. I imagine there are less "gravel" clubs or groups out there than mtb. It seems like opportunities for socializing would rank like this: mountain > road > gravel?

b. If I want to explore those more technical paths, I'm just not skilled or experienced enough to do so in a gravel bike since I haven't been riding long, and the terrain simply looks difficult (sometimes dangerously so) to me. I'll accept the speed penalty for a smoother ride.

c. I have plenty of opportunities to ride roads (and occasionally smooth gravel) if I return to the north east. But exploring rough terrain on an mtb in Southern California is sort of a once in a life-time opportunity. The extensive mountains make SoCal unique. So I want to take advantage of that. The loss of speed on tarmac and smooth dirt seems like an okay compromise to me for what an mtb can open up, especially given the mountainous environment.

If there are "gravel" clubs though, let me know. That would definitely change things.
Old 01-03-22, 09:33 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by BobbyG
33yearslate When the rider is ready, the bike will appear.
I honestly feel like I've been ready for an upgrade for so long now. It's been "road, road, road" in my head all along over the past 1-2 years. And then I got the news I'm moving across the country and suddenly it's "mountain, road, gravel" in equal measure.
Old 01-03-22, 10:42 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by 33yearslate
I honestly feel like I've been ready for an upgrade for so long now. It's been "road, road, road" in my head all along over the past 1-2 years. And then I got the news I'm moving across the country and suddenly it's "mountain, road, gravel" in equal measure.
This gravel bike was one of my latest and smartest buys.
If I had to keep one bike this would be the one.
No more Dead Ends or end of roads for me on this bike
Likes For joesch:
Old 01-03-22, 10:49 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Here’s what you do.

Move and get settled in. Rent a mtb and go to the Santa Monica mountains and see what you think.

There is definite skill set and mindset that is required and you won’t know till you try.

John
Old 01-03-22, 10:57 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Here’s what you do.

Move and get settled in. Rent a mtb and go to the Santa Monica mountains and see what you think.

There is definite skill set and mindset that is required and you won’t know till you try.

John
I think that, ultimately, I may need to just suck it up and do this.
Old 01-03-22, 11:17 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts
I've lived in So Cal (Pasadena area) my whole life, and got serious about cycling in '92. If you're looking to perform in specialty conditions (singletrack, fast group road rides, racing of any kind, etc.), you will want a bike that isn't a hinderance to performing your best at the most challenging moments. However, if you're looking for an all-purpose go-anywhere (almost) bike, a modern gravel bike is a really good choice. jonathanf2 Does a lot of miles on his gravel bike, and I think he lives in a similar area to what you're considering.
Old 01-03-22, 11:31 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I'm not going to lie and say I've spent a ton of time in LA but I have ridden there and the road is the last place I'd want to ride. There but there are a lot miles of trails so I'd just get a mountain bike.
Old 01-03-22, 01:04 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Another reason to wait to buy is the possibility that there might be a bigger itch to scratch once you paddle out a few times.

While never a big fan of LA County, you will have one of the best breaks close by that you can share with a few million of your closest friends.

John
Old 01-03-22, 01:52 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I think that, ultimately, I may need to just suck it up and do this.
I'm in NE PA in the Lehigh Valley/Pocono Mtns. Not to belabor the point but within 15 miles of my house there is decent mountain bike trails. This area used to be a MTB destination not so much anymore but there are trails here no question about it.

When we were getting ready to move here from oh so flat NJ I thought ok Mountain bike here we come. Well at least for this rider I wasn't in good enough shape to do anything but the easiest single track. And it turns out there are several road bike clubs here, the one I belong to has 100s if not 1000s of members. Between my club and several others I could do a club ride literally every day. So again I would say wait and see when you get there and be open minded you might be surprised.

Others here with more mountain bike experience might see if differently but regardless of the kind of riding you eventually get into if you are going to do it in style it is expensive so waiting before opening your wallet, test the waters i think is the prudent thing to do. It may seem awkward but I know that if someone shows up to a weekday road ride that is rated for beginners, say <500 feet of climbing and short <15 miles or so the group will go as fast as the slowest rider but if you ask someone will probably let you borrow a more suitable bike for a more difficult ride, this is not uncommon.
Old 01-03-22, 04:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I bet your hybrid can do everything that a gravel bike could do, isn't drop bars the only real difference? I'd get a road bike or a mountain bike over a gravel bike since you already have the hybrid. It's not like there will be terrain that is too rough for the hybrid that a gravel bike would help you with, the only real difference is you can get there a little faster in the drops.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-03-22, 05:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts
It seems like, ideally, if money and space were no issue, I'd have a road bike, gravel bike, and mtb, and alternate depending on the terrain.
The only rule about what kind of bike and how many you should have is...

N+1

My reason for leaning a bit more into wanting an mtb over gravel in the short term I think (but please let me know if I'm thinking about this wrong) is because:

a. It will be easier to find a group of people to ride with on mtb since it's more of a "defined" sort of activity given the terrain. I imagine there are less "gravel" clubs or groups out there than mtb. It seems like opportunities for socializing would rank like this: mountain > road > gravel?
WAY more road clubs/teams/group rides than any other discipline.

b. If I want to explore those more technical paths, I'm just not skilled or experienced enough to do so in a gravel bike since I haven't been riding long, and the terrain simply looks difficult (sometimes dangerously so) to me. I'll accept the speed penalty for a smoother ride.

c. I have plenty of opportunities to ride roads (and occasionally smooth gravel) if I return to the north east. But exploring rough terrain on an mtb in Southern California is sort of a once in a life-time opportunity. The extensive mountains make SoCal unique. So I want to take advantage of that. The loss of speed on tarmac and smooth dirt seems like an okay compromise to me for what an mtb can open up, especially given the mountainous environment.
A gravel bike is a compromise. A road bike is a compromise. A MTB is a compromise. If riding technical terrain is a priority for the kind of riding you want to do, buy the bike that does that best (for you), and accept where its short-comings are.
Old 01-04-22, 09:11 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I bet your hybrid can do everything that a gravel bike could do, isn't drop bars the only real difference? I'd get a road bike or a mountain bike over a gravel bike since you already have the hybrid. It's not like there will be terrain that is too rough for the hybrid that a gravel bike would help you with, the only real difference is you can get there a little faster in the drops.
This is a great point. If I get a gravel bike it would basically replace what I already have, but also be a substantial upgrade at the same time. My hybrid is genuinely entry level.
Old 01-04-22, 11:45 AM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
There are bike paths all over Griffith Park, it's a huge park. I live close by and that's where i ride. There are so many cyclists who ride road bikes, hybrids and mountain bikes on these paths, so you'll be fine with the bike you already have.

That said, getting to Griffith Park paths and returning from them safetly using your bike could be a challenge because of insane traffic and dangerous and careless drivers, that's why insurance companies charge higher rates in these areas. I am currently recovering from a fractured hip being hit by a car from behind while coming back from a ride. That was a few weeks ago and the lane i was riding on is a couple hundred yards from my home which has big colored bicycle signs drawn all over on the asphalt. I have been riding in this area for years but recently i don't even feel safe driving here.

After recovery, i plan on driving to a safe place away from trafic and ride there. I don't want to discourage you and hardly ever post in these forums, i just want to inform you to be careful and don't think you are safe just because there are signs for cyclists all over the place.
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 01-04-22, 01:23 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpacer
There are bike paths all over Griffith Park, it's a huge park. I live close by and that's where i ride. There are so many cyclists who ride road bikes, hybrids and mountain bikes on these paths, so you'll be fine with the bike you already have.

That said, getting to Griffith Park paths and returning from them safetly using your bike could be a challenge because of insane traffic and dangerous and careless drivers, that's why insurance companies charge higher rates in these areas. I am currently recovering from a fractured hip being hit by a car from behind while coming back from a ride. That was a few weeks ago and the lane i was riding on is a couple hundred yards from my home which has big colored bicycle signs drawn all over on the asphalt. I have been riding in this area for years but recently i don't even feel safe driving here.

After recovery, i plan on driving to a safe place away from trafic and ride there. I don't want to discourage you and hardly ever post in these forums, i just want to inform you to be careful and don't think you are safe just because there are signs for cyclists all over the place.
I think Griffith park is the largest park within a metro area in the world.
Old 01-04-22, 02:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
This is a great point. If I get a gravel bike it would basically replace what I already have, but also be a substantial upgrade at the same time. My hybrid is genuinely entry level.
if I were you I'd hold off on buying a new bike until you ride in your area and decide if the hybrid struggles on the more technical terrain (and if you want to ride that terrain.) I don't think a nice gravel bike would be any better in terms of tackling technical terrain. It will be lighter, stiffer, and have better shifting, but I think most of those advantages will be seen on the road or climbs. A gravel bike would let you keep up with fast road rides, but tbh entry level hybrid are pretty nice and you should be able to keep up with the "b" group on a club ride and see if it's something you want to do
Old 01-04-22, 06:12 PM
33yearslate

Thanks for the heads up. By the way, since you mentioned it, I'm trying to live as close to Griffith Park in Los Feliz as possible. (So basically, as far up north as I can afford on my budget).

Are there any unsafe areas in Los Feliz I should avoid in general (traffic aside)?
Old 01-04-22, 06:25 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
you have a bike. make your move and ride your bike. adjust as needed
Old 01-04-22, 06:57 PM
slowpacer

Los Feliz is a very busy street with heavy traffic heading in and out of Hollywood, i don't think there are any bike lanes on it and even if there were i would avoid them. I live in Glendale-Burbank area close to north section of Griffith Park, the roads are shared by cars and bikes with dedicated bike lanes on each side of the street, the traffic is usually not bad by LA standards. And there are many cyclists here on weekends. Your Trek FX1 would be a great bike for this area.

There is also the bike path by the Los Angeles river, i think it's around 23 miles or so. Here is some more info about biking around Griffith Park. I will have to explore some of them myself when i feel better.

If you want to visit a great non-bike related spot, check out Griffith Observatory, although it can be crowded, it's well worth it.

Last edited by slowpacer; 01-04-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-04-22, 07:00 PM
33yearslate

Los Feliz is a very busy street with heavy traffic heading in and out of Hollywood, i don't think there are any bike lanes on it and even if they were i would avoid them. I live in Glendale-Burbank area close to north section of Griffith Park, the roads are shared by cars and bikes with dedicated bike lanes on each side of the street, the traffic is usually not bad by LA standards. And there are many cyclists here on weekends. Your Trek FX1 would be a great bike for this area.

There is also the bike path by the Los Angeles river, i think it's around 23 miles or so. Here is some more info about biking around Griffith Park. I will have to explore some of them myself when i feel better.
I really appreciate the info. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-04-22, 07:06 PM
slowpacer

You're very welcome and enjoy your time in LA.
Old 01-04-22, 07:53 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Los Feliz is a very busy street with heavy traffic heading in and out of Hollywood, i don't think there are any bike lanes on it and even if there were i would avoid them. I live in Glendale-Burbank area close to north section of Griffith Park, the roads are shared by cars and bikes with dedicated bike lanes on each side of the street, the traffic is usually not bad by LA standards. And there are many cyclists here on weekends. Your Trek FX1 would be a great bike for this area.

If you want to visit a great non-bike related spot, check out Griffith Observatory, although it can be crowded, it's well worth it.
yah...it's essentially a de facto freeway. best to cross los feliz at a light and use alternate streets.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-04-22 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 06:58 PM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yah...it's essentially a de facto freeway. best to cross los feliz at a light and use alternate streets.
Damn. Okay that's very good to know. Maybe I'll check out Atwater when I go visit before moving. Or Glendale?

Definitely still checking out Silverlake, but that freeway comment is scary.
Old 01-06-22, 03:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Damn. Okay that's very good to know. Maybe I'll check out Atwater when I go visit before moving. Or Glendale?

Definitely still checking out Silverlake, but that freeway comment is scary.

previously mentioned the toluca lake/burbank/atwater village areas as place of residence considerations vs south side los feliz/silver lake.
pricing/availability/more bang for the buck possibly along with less vehicular traffic. it's not totally devoid of car traffic but it's noticeably less
and closer to more trails if that's the way you wanna go. dunno work obligations (5 days a week in the office, a few days here and there, one day a week
or working from home) but if you've gotta go over the sepulveda or cahuenga pass to dtown la, century city, (or end around elysian park/dodger stadium area)
et al...it's not too difficult. entire north side of griffith park much quieter than the south side by los felix/silver lake. it's not much farther from
atwater village/burbank/toluca lake...plus the subway (yes, you read that right) goes from the valley to dtown la.

glendale, eagle rock, highland park and echo park all have their charms as well.

dunno if you'll have access to a car or want to but any of the los felix/silver lake/toluca lake/burbank/atwater village/glendale areas are pretty accessible
to the light rail or other public transportation if necessary.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-06-22 at 03:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.