Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eight speed downtube alternatives

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 11:35 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4404 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,023 Posts

I have three bikes with nicely working 8 speed indexing on Shimano cassettes that shouldn't work, but are great.

1. Years ago I got a Mavic index derailleur but couldn't find a matching shift lever set. Thinking it was some sort of Shimano shift actuation, I found a set of Sachs Aris 8 speed levers to try. What I didn't know at that time was that Sachs had gone from Shimano geometry to Campy 8 geometry when they went from 6/7 to 8 speed. This turned out to be a good thing.

Since the shift lever had a larger diameter barrel pulling more cable than I needed per shift, I reduced the diameter of the shifter until it made the Mavic derailleur index perfectly on a Shimano 8 speed cassette. This sounds technical, but what I actually did was, starting in 7th cog, was to downshift, unhook the cable, use a needle file on the slot where the cable touched, and retry the shift. When it stopped shifting too far, I went on to the next shift down, repeating the process. This took less than an hour.

Sachs 8 speed shifters are still available new - sometimes for cheap. The Rival model I bought has the nicest index feel of any lever I've tried. Unless you have really short throw derailleurs, this technique works really well and allowed the 4.8mm spaced cassette to work well with shifters and derailleur intended for wider.

2. Simple and dumb. I bought a Suntour Superbe 6/7 speed index lever set. These have a ring you can move to select index 6, 7 or ratchet friction. Since it has two scales, it has more than just seven click locations - it appears to just keep clicking all the way around. Anyway, I mounted it to a compatible Suntour Sprint index derailleur and it shift a Shimano 8 cassette perfectly. Only a few Suntour shifters worked like this with extra clicks. Any Suntour derailleur with a barrel adjuster should index well. Yes, Suntour was 5.0 spaced, but it is fine.

3. Really dumb. Shimano 7 speed shifters will shift 8 decently if you tune the indexing from the center of the cassette. First gear has no discernable click, but the friction is sufficient to hold the position. Shimano 7 is also 5.0, and you can tell it is a little off, but the floating pulley makes up for it. 7 speed downtube shifters are plentiful. If you want to tune it better, add velum spacers between the cogs to get closer to 5.0mm.

4. Super fancy. The original Athena/Xenon derailleur was the best Syncro derailleur Campagnolo made. It was only offered with 6 or 7 speed inserts. After comparing photos of different inserts, I noted that the red insert for Chorus narrow range six speed had the clicks closer together than the Athena blue insert. So I bought one, make a pattern by mounting the lever on friction over a piece of cardboard to try the shifting on a Shimano 8 speed cassette, and then transferred the pattern to the red Chorus insert to add two more clicks. I was careful and it worked on the first try - I now have a 1989 Campy Syncro bike that shifts perfectly on Shimano 8 speed cassettes.

My experience using Mavic friction derailleurs on HG cassettes suggests that all sorts of derailleurs will index decently if they have HG cogs to help. Athena used the same insert that worked for C-Record, Super Record and Victory, which means it has the same shift geometry going all the way back to Nuovo Record. So one of these days I'm going to put my old Gran Sport derailleur on this bike and see how it shifts on HG 8.

I like index downtube shifting. Clearly. But 8 speed keeps these old parts going on newer wheels and common cassettes.
Old 03-07-23, 12:25 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Shimano SL-R400 indexed DT levers have been around for a long time (and are available new) and presumably work as well as any Shimano indexed DT shifter. Obviously you'd need to run it with a Shimano rear derailleur, but that's easy enough. Otherwise, hunting for a rare 600 (6401) or 105 (1055) 8-speed set would have to happen.
Old 03-07-23, 05:50 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Smooth as silk with a shipmano 8spd cassette

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-07-23, 07:01 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Shimano SL-R400 indexed DT levers have been around for a long time (and are available new) and presumably work as well as any Shimano indexed DT shifter. Obviously you'd need to run it with a Shimano rear derailleur, but that's easy enough. Otherwise, hunting for a rare 600 (6401) or 105 (1055) 8-speed set would have to happen.
I hate the feel of the SL-R400. Stiff and cheap.
Old 03-09-23, 11:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I don't even know if this is pertinent to your topic, but I have an interesting variation to throw in.

I have 8 speed Campy indexed shifters, similar to the "Syncro" line, but not called Syncro. There the last version of the downtube 8 speed indexed shifters. This kind, with the little indexing adjuster on the rear shifter.

Anyway...I originally had a Shimano hubbed wheel and bought a J-Tek adapter for the Campy shifters and the Shimano 8 speed cassette. When I actually got around to building the bike, I forgot to use the J-Tek adapter, didn't notice that I'd forgotten, and it shifted fine, so I didn't bother to take it apart to insert the J-Tek. I later built up a wheel with a Campy 8 speed cassette and it also shifts fine.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-11-23, 08:27 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
I have 8 speed Sachs New Success on a bike and the shifters really do function flawlessly. Because they thought of such things in those days, they even had a ring that could be turned to shut off the indexing so that you could take an incompatible neutral wheel in a race or to cope with a similar situation outside of racing.

Old 03-11-23, 08:59 AM
mosinglespeeder

Bikes: Waterford W-13, Ritchey road logic; Ritchey SwissCross; Pinarello Paris ; Surly Karate Monkey monstergravel hauler 1983 Mike Mullet, mid 80s Alpina, late 70s schwinn world sport tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
My experience with indexing is that you should generally always consider the throw from the indexed shifter to that of the spacing of the cassette, and that combo will either allow the marriage to flawlessly work or not. I've seen buddies with older shifters w/suntour, try to match up to shimano and its nearly impossible without rubbing somewhere. Generally without doing homework and such, i will match the cassette (suntour) to that of the shifter to insure smooth actuation. The RD really rarely is the issue, I have seen it be on an odd combo, but generally speaking they typically will be fine.
Old 03-11-23, 09:13 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I have three bikes with nicely working 8 speed indexing on Shimano cassettes that shouldn't work, but are great.

1. Years ago I got a Mavic index derailleur but couldn't find a matching shift lever set. Thinking it was some sort of Shimano shift actuation, I found a set of Sachs Aris 8 speed levers to try. What I didn't know at that time was that Sachs had gone from Shimano geometry to Campy 8 geometry when they went from 6/7 to 8 speed. This turned out to be a good thing.

Since the shift lever had a larger diameter barrel pulling more cable than I needed per shift, I reduced the diameter of the shifter until it made the Mavic derailleur index perfectly on a Shimano 8 speed cassette. This sounds technical, but what I actually did was, starting in 7th cog, was to downshift, unhook the cable, use a needle file on the slot where the cable touched, and retry the shift. When it stopped shifting too far, I went on to the next shift down, repeating the process. This took less than an hour.

Sachs 8 speed shifters are still available new - sometimes for cheap. The Rival model I bought has the nicest index feel of any lever I've tried. Unless you have really short throw derailleurs, this technique works really well and allowed the 4.8mm spaced cassette to work well with shifters and derailleur intended for wider.

2. Simple and dumb. I bought a Suntour Superbe 6/7 speed index lever set. These have a ring you can move to select index 6, 7 or ratchet friction. Since it has two scales, it has more than just seven click locations - it appears to just keep clicking all the way around. Anyway, I mounted it to a compatible Suntour Sprint index derailleur and it shift a Shimano 8 cassette perfectly. Only a few Suntour shifters worked like this with extra clicks. Any Suntour derailleur with a barrel adjuster should index well. Yes, Suntour was 5.0 spaced, but it is fine.

3. Really dumb. Shimano 7 speed shifters will shift 8 decently if you tune the indexing from the center of the cassette. First gear has no discernable click, but the friction is sufficient to hold the position. Shimano 7 is also 5.0, and you can tell it is a little off, but the floating pulley makes up for it. 7 speed downtube shifters are plentiful. If you want to tune it better, add velum spacers between the cogs to get closer to 5.0mm.

4. Super fancy. The original Athena/Xenon derailleur was the best Syncro derailleur Campagnolo made. It was only offered with 6 or 7 speed inserts. After comparing photos of different inserts, I noted that the red insert for Chorus narrow range six speed had the clicks closer together than the Athena blue insert. So I bought one, make a pattern by mounting the lever on friction over a piece of cardboard to try the shifting on a Shimano 8 speed cassette, and then transferred the pattern to the red Chorus insert to add two more clicks. I was careful and it worked on the first try - I now have a 1989 Campy Syncro bike that shifts perfectly on Shimano 8 speed cassettes.

My experience using Mavic friction derailleurs on HG cassettes suggests that all sorts of derailleurs will index decently if they have HG cogs to help. Athena used the same insert that worked for C-Record, Super Record and Victory, which means it has the same shift geometry going all the way back to Nuovo Record. So one of these days I'm going to put my old Gran Sport derailleur on this bike and see how it shifts on HG 8.

I like index downtube shifting. Clearly. But 8 speed keeps these old parts going on newer wheels and common cassettes.
Actually on a local AABTC ride I met a guy with the Sachs levers, which I mistook for Campagnolo. He said Sachs had designed and made the early Campagnolo 8 speed levers.

Any truth to this?
Old 03-11-23, 11:02 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Actually on a local AABTC ride I met a guy with the Sachs levers, which I mistook for Campagnolo. He said Sachs had designed and made the early Campagnolo 8 speed levers.

Any truth to this?
If you're talking about brifters, that sounds about right (or it was the other way - they were the same shifters). Not the downtube levers which were markedly different in style and mechanism. The shifting and derailleurs were compatible between the two brands, but the derailleurs themselves had enough differences that I don't think just one plant produced both.

But even if Sachs made the brifters, the design - using the same springs from Syncro II - indicates that Campy was definitely part of the design.
Old 03-11-23, 12:36 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Whtever Sachs called what became the Ergopowers, that's i'm talking about having seen.
Old 03-11-23, 01:32 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Whtever Sachs called what became the Ergopowers, that's i'm talking about having seen.
no, it was the reverse. The Ergopower levers were completely a Campagnolo product. There was some cooperation between the companies with Campagnolo supplying Sachs with Ergopower levers for use with the New Success and Rival groups (modified to be Shimano-standard compatible) and cranksets and Sachs produced Sedis chains for use with the Campagnolo groups and some front derailleurs for a couple of the downmarket Campy group sets.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 03-11-23, 05:42 PM
Road Fan

Ok, thank you!
Old 03-11-23, 06:09 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by El Chaba
no, it was the reverse. The Ergopower levers were completely a Campagnolo product. There was some cooperation between the companies with Campagnolo supplying Sachs with Ergopower levers for use with the New Success and Rival groups (modified to be Shimano-standard compatible) and cranksets and Sachs produced Sedis chains for use with the Campagnolo groups and some front derailleurs for a couple of the downmarket Campy group sets.
I don't know if this is 100% true. My 8 speed Sachs downtube shifters pulled a lot of cable - like an 8 speed Campy. Some people say that Sachs Ergos are Shimano compatible, some say not. I think its possible that the first offerings in 92 were compatible with the Shimano style Aris derailleurs of the '80s. But somewhere in there Sachs changed to the Campy 8 cable pull.

I have a later New Success RD. I need to mount that on something and try it with a Shimano shifter. It certainly seems like it has different geometry.