Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 05:26 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Somewhere, somehow, pump sellers just got the juju on us.
That they lumped you in with me, well, that's an issue for concern.
It is an issue of concern. Damn corporations and their marketing juju. I'm just keeping my mouth shut.
Old 10-07-20, 06:19 PM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
For a few years I used a compressor, presta adapter and pressure fixed at 100. My son started to win swag at races and ended up with three pumps, all bike branded, Cannondale (my fav for least pumps), Specialized and Giant. Lost the Cannondale to falling off the back car rack, Specialized is with my son at school, and I am left with a wheezy Giant that does the job, but FWIW, none of them failed or weakened. I have gone through about 4 Topeak Micro Rockets because the shell falls off the handle, but it is the smallest (fits in saddle bag) on bike pump that has worked to get me home.

This said, I am ready to replace the Giant and it might be with a purchased shiny Specialized pump that my son took to school, because I cannot go back to the compressor.
Old 10-10-20, 06:28 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
UPDATE:
I was in Evansville IN and stopped by a bike shop. I noticed two Bontrager Flash TLR pumps on display. I walked over to look at them, and sure enough, one of them had the gauge upside down. I told the shop guy and he confirmed it, seemed pretty apathetic about it.

Two shops, same issue. I wonder how many Bontrager shipped that way?
Old 10-10-20, 07:42 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Like Robbie, my old Joe Blow worked for years until it didn't. Fixed it several times, but each fix failed within a few weeks. Replaced it with Park whose gauge has failed and been replaced free 3X now. Current gauge needle stops at 50-60 # with detonation risk if I keep pumping. Kept the Park for backup and replaced it with an orange SKS RenKompressor. Its hard to read gauge at least still works. Years ago, I found a no name floor pump at Goodwill for $3, it would beep when preselected pressure was reached. Unknown how accurate, but kept it in our locker room at work for occasional use by us bike commuters. Still worked fine when I retired in 2006 so left it in the locker room. Still have an old, Topeak compact mt. bike pump. Small, but accurate gauge and it always works. Regularly gives up to 100#, but the its plastic mount broke early on and the plastic latch that holds the handle in down position also broke, but It fits in my cargo shorts pocket, so still gets regular use. Don
Old 10-10-20, 08:12 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Forgot to mention my Lezyne. Got an N.O.S. older model at a good price on eBay. It turned out to be inoperable. Lezyne customer service was good, said it would be an easy fix and sent me a prepaid mail label. Their CS tech contacted me to say he'd never seen a new one of these models with so many problems. He replaced it for free with a current model that still works fine but has a balky chuck. I can generally get it to work so keep it in my wagon, but seldom used. Don
Old 10-10-20, 08:47 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
After reading all the post I forgot to answer the original question, "Floor pumps.... should we have to fix them too?"
The answer is, They're just like bikes, if the quality is high enough, Yes... otherwise chunk it like a wallymart bike.
Old 09-22-23, 11:05 AM
stratman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I am a big fan of the SKS Rennkompressor, seriously old school being built of steel, cast iron, wood and leather. I can't leave anything alone, the factory gage was really hard to read so I fixed that and I just kept modifying the pump from that point on, it's really fun to use.

20200104_134943 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

20160505_185437 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Hello. Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. But I've got the same pump, and the gauge is inaccurate (about 10psi over), and also quite hard to read. I was thinking about replacing it with a better one, with a scale covering the range I actually need.

Do you know what the threading is that connects the gauge to the pump please?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-23, 11:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I have a cheap $9.99 pump from Harbor Freight. Difficult, no Presta, but it attaches/releases the Shrader/Presta adapter cleanly, and gets to the psi I need. I sort of hate it.
My lady has a nashbar pump that is at least 20 years old. It's never been serviced. It works fine, but the gauge is small and scarred and faded and difficult to see.

My main pump was a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. I thought it was great, until it needed servicing about 2 years ago. Now it stops at 80 psi.
Topeak doesn't service it any longer, but sent me a new head and O-ring, just in case the recent failure was the head or O-ring.
Turns out, the fitting on the pump body failed (leaked). It's about 7 years old. That sort of rules out Topeak.

To the Trek store (which was barren, by the way, two employees, maybe 10 bikes, no ability to browse with COVID),
despite vowing to never patronize Trek or Bontrager again. I'm a convenience *****. I say "I need a pump." They have 4 cheapo's and the Flash TLR.
I also pick up carbon rim brake pads--cork. (turns out they're howlers.)
I take the Flash TLR floor pump, able to inflate tubeless, etc with the charged cylinder. Digital readout. Accurate. Poor base, though.
I figure OK, now that I have 3 sets of tubeless wheels, maybe I can use this. I mistakenly figure price also equals quality.
Got it home, got it hooked up....the digital display is upside down.
I kid you not. In order to read it, I'd need to have eyes under my ass.
You'd think with my head up there, that'd be easy, but not for pumping tires.

Pump display is upside down. Back to the store.
"We don't have any more pumps."
"We don't have any other brake pads."
Whoopee. COVID?

No Topeak due to their inability to make a long-lasting pump.
No Bontrager since they apparently don't know up from down.
No Specialized.... I like the police.
The Harbor Freight model is a stroke-inducer above 60 psi.
My lady won't let her nashbar pump out of her sight.
I had a second-hand Silca that I'm now sure I should have held onto.
speedevil has a Lezyne that has a great angled head (thread-on).

What are folks using and why?

Is it normal to have to service your floor pump?
Yes
Old 09-22-23, 11:31 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by stratman
Hello. Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. But I've got the same pump, and the gauge is inaccurate (about 10psi over), and also quite hard to read. I was thinking about replacing it with a better one, with a scale covering the range I actually need.

Thanks.
A lot of air/pipe thread fittings are pretty standard but not all.

You will need to make sure any replacement clears the body and threads in with no interference.

Looks like Mike may have used an adapter so.....

Hopefully he will respond.
Old 09-22-23, 11:36 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I have replaced the guages on several Silca pumps with liquid filled guages, it's a good swap and from memory it's 1/4 NPT

which is a standard thread, widely available

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-22-23, 02:20 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Surprised that the OP's Topeak Joe Blow pump did not hold up that long, I have one and I always thought that it is the most solid and reliable floor pump I ever bought.
​​​​​It's over five years old now and still going strong, knock on wood.
But then I had a plastic Zefal floor pump from the mid 80's that never died on me. I was still using it into the early 2000's till I lost it when I forgot to take it out of a car I traded in.
​​​​You just never know how long some tools will last. And you can't judge a book by its cover.

Last edited by Chombi1; 09-22-23 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 06:00 PM
stratman

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I have replaced the guages on several Silca pumps with liquid filled guages, it's a good swap and from memory it's 1/4 NPT

which is a standard thread, widely available

/markp
Thanks. I've got the gauge off, and whatever it is it's not 1/4" inch. It measures 1/2" and it's some sort of tapered thread. But I can't tell if it's NPT or BSP. I haven't got any thread measuring tools. I've asked SKS, I'll see if they reply. Actually, I've asked them for a new gauge too, as it's within warranty.
Old 09-23-23, 11:38 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
I have one of these also. Had it about ten years….fantastic pump.
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I have a black Lezyne that threads on, has a nice large accurate gauge, and a wooden handle. It was about $60 or $70. Never serviced it.
Likes For Bogester:
Old 09-23-23, 07:39 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Thanks. I've got the gauge off, and whatever it is it's not 1/4" inch. It measures 1/2" and it's some sort of tapered thread. But I can't tell if it's NPT or BSP. I haven't got any thread measuring tools. I've asked SKS, I'll see if they reply. Actually, I've asked them for a new gauge too, as it's within warranty.
1/4" NPT measures slightly over 1/2 inch. The 1/4 inch refers to the inside pipe diameter, so the threads are larger. 1/8" NPT measures about 3/8 inch, 1/2" NPT is about 7/8 inch.
Old 09-23-23, 08:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I have always used cheap what ever is available floor pumps. I use them till they don't work anymore. But I just bought a new floor pump that I think is well worth the price. About 35 USD on Amazon. Big pressure gauge face, mostly metal construction, and if it disappears its not a too expensive loss...

Bell Zephyr Bicycle Floor Pump

Old 09-24-23, 05:00 AM
stratman

Originally Posted by Pompiere
1/4" NPT measures slightly over 1/2 inch. The 1/4 inch refers to the inside pipe diameter, so the threads are larger. 1/8" NPT measures about 3/8 inch, 1/2" NPT is about 7/8 inch.
Many thanks for alerting me to this, very useful. It means I've ordered a 1/2" to 1/4" adaptor that I don't need, but never mind. I'll see if I can cancel that.

It turns out that BSP fittings follow a similar pattern, size wise.

BSP pipes

Also, I'm assuming that this fitting is BSP, being German. At least, that's the size of the connector on the gauge I've ordered. Also, somebody who has done what I'm planning found it was BSP:

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/....348173/page-2

So hopefully this will work.
Old 09-24-23, 08:48 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
this will prolly get me booted off the forum. this is a Silca pump that was custom painted by Dario Pegoretti.

Sadly it doesn't really pump air any better than a $9.99 pump from harbor freight, but it's a pleasure to use.

and, it's a piece of art. the only one like this.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 09-24-23 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-24-23, 09:21 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Decathlon 900 something, about 5 years old, £20.00 from the local Decathlon store. Standard aluminium pump but I can seat my tubeless tyres with it. Don't think it's serviceable, never even considered servicing it tbh. Before that I had a compressor in the garage for many years.
Old 09-24-23, 10:39 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
The aluminum feet/pedestal on my Pista broke at the attachment bolt holes and I had to kludge it back together with washers and stuff. The top that needs to be removed to replace the leather is not attached very well for routine removal/maintenance purposes — silly machine screw. BUT I can get 110 psi out of it so it’s all good.
Old 09-24-23, 12:55 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts

So far, I've not had much to fix except for tightening things that have gotten loose. The only upgrades were replacing the plastic presta/schrader attachments with Silca 24.0 heads. The Wrench Force came from my LBS, maybe twenty years ago. The Serfas came my way a few years ago from a trash picker friend. The old Schwinn/Maeda I must have had since '79, and these days, I keep a Schrader hose on that for blowing up my Burley. I don't know if there are presta valved heavy duty butyl inner tubes for 20 x 1 3/4 tires.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 09-24-23 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 09-24-23, 05:50 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
vintage silca floorpump is all I've ever used and don't plan on ever using anything else. Maybe a new hose every 20 years and some grease on the leather every couple years. Frames all get old Zefal HP painted to match. Same story almost indestructible. I like Silcas with Campy heads but they usually fail at the top and don't usually survive getting run over like the Zefals do.
Old 09-24-23, 07:01 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Just happy to see a revived RobbieTunes thread. Almost always enjoyed that guy's posts.
Old 09-24-23, 08:46 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

Thanks.
That pump has seen a lot of service, like anything designs evolve over time, when I bought that pump the gauge port was drilled for 1/8 NPT, I modified it for 1/4 NPT so I could use 300 PSI rated air hose quick disconnects and same rated air hose. this was so I could quickly swap between gauge ranges and presta or schrader air fill chucks. If I remember correctly the two gauges cost more than the pump itself. Good luck with your project.

Old 09-25-23, 03:29 AM
stratman

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
That pump has seen a lot of service, like anything designs evolve over time, when I bought that pump the gauge port was drilled for 1/8 NPT, I modified it for 1/4 NPT so I could use 300 PSI rated air hose quick disconnects and same rated air hose. this was so I could quickly swap between gauge ranges and presta or schrader air fill chucks. If I remember correctly the two gauges cost more than the pump itself. Good luck with your project.

Thanks.

In this thread (from another site) somebody says the hole for the gauge is (was) 1/4" BSPP. The 1/4" part makes sense, now that I've found out that both BSP (and NPT) sizes are "nominal", referring to the internal pipe bore. The BSP part would also make sense, given that SKS are German. And the second P (for parallel) also fits in with what I've read about BSP fittings, which is that female BSP fittings are usually parallel.

The existing gauge appears to have a parallel fitting. Hence now that I've refitted it, the only way to get it completely airtight is to fasten it tight, so it's not correctly aligned, visually. It didn't come with any sort of sealing washer or O ring. I wonder whether it might have been fitted with some sort of sealing compound, though I can't see any remnants. Though I don't know how much tapered threads are tapered. It feels as though it's a little tapered, as it gets harder to turn the more it goes in.

Anyway, I've got another gauge, 63mm and 0-7 bar, on it's way. I'll see if/how that works out. I'll investigate quick disconnects. I might not need the "quick" bit, but it could be an easy way of aligning the gauge correctly.

Cheers.
Old 09-27-23, 11:50 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
If ability to survive being run over is an actually measurable basis of comparison, you have bigger things than pumps to be concerned about, just sayin'.