Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

why did he crash?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

why did he crash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 09:54 PM
abou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why did he crash?

s Hello
I was riding with my son. I was in front of him , he was following me. He is 20y old. We have entry level road bikes. We were on a downhill in the city, on the bike lane, not trying to go fast, but still you take some speed, even without pedaling, but the cars were all passing us.
Suddenly I hear a crack, I turned around and saw my son on the ground. He was badly hurt, he ended up in hospital but luckily it was only an elbow fracture.
He can not remember exactly what happened as he lost consciousness for a few min. The only thing he remembers is he was not pedaling during the 200m or 300m downhill, and he was about to start pedaling at the bottom as it was followed by an uphill. Then he said he lost control of the bike. He fell on his right side. The front wheel was completely twisted and the chain was off the highest gear but not broken.
I am wondering if the chain fell off and caused him to loose balance or is it a case of bike wobble? Why would the front wheel be twisted ? Could the chain fall off during the fall and not be the cause?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Suddenly I hear a crack, I turned around and saw my son on the ground.w months ago.
We were on a downhill in the city, on the bike lane, not trying to go fast, but still you take some speed, even without pedaling, but the cars were all passing us.
Suddenly I hear a crack, I turned around and saw my son on the ground. without pedaling, but the cars were all passing us.
Suddenly I hear a crack, I turned around and saw my son on the ground.

Last edited by abou; 09-30-23 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-29-23, 10:10 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Maybe he hit a dip or hole in the road causing the wheel collapse the bike crashing could knock the chain off
Old 09-29-23, 10:15 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts

RATS!!!

It could be anything. I have pitched even at low speed on level ground. I have even planted my face in my front yard when just starting a ride. Even the best riders some times just loose it. And its not just when your going fast. I saw a young guy crush his face and front teeth on a curb showing off the old, I don't have to take my feet off the pedals at red lights trick.

Sure hope your son has a rapid recovery. Sounds like a bad spill. Also remember that even a little bit of road rash can get out of hand so take care of those scrapes over the next few weeks. Sure glad he didn't get run over.

As to the OP: Yes, dropping your chain after a fast spin and shift is common. If it gets jammed and locks you will spill to the right cause you are usually fiddling around with your shifter and have a loose grip on the right side of the bars.
Old 09-29-23, 10:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Less than a good grip on the handlebars plus less than full attention on the road? (Maybe realizing he was in the wrong gear for the flat or upcoming hill?)

When I was 15, I approached a downhill intersection with no traffic controls at all. Hands on the hoods, fingers on the brakes to have my head as high as possible while looking for cars. I hit a rock I didn't see that knocked my hands off. I flew threw the intersection upright but my sternum on the stem and my hands down by the hubs. (Maybe your son needed my angel. My sternum hurt! but I was otherwise unharmed.)

Now not fashionable advice but my race club vets stressed riding in the drops anytime the going was in any way "iffy". The most rock-solid grip and best for bike control plus if you do hit something there is a very good chance the "crotch" between you index finger and thumb will keep you hands on the bars. I was told that I needed to set up all my bikes so I could go to the drops anytime for as long as I needed.
Old 09-29-23, 11:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
Impossible to tell without pics of the bike before and after and the road. Was there a curb?
I've slid out several times with zero effects on the front wheel. If the bike zipps out really fast to a side, I usually land like a cat on all fours, bended knees and hand palms. Can't do that with shoe clips, that I will NEVER use.
Old 09-29-23, 11:03 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
Sounds like the chain came off and locked up a wheel.
Old 10-02-23, 10:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Could be trammeling, the front wheel caught in a groove. Could be the front wheel bounced up on a stick or a rock and he brought it down not straight and he high sided. Could be a tank slapper. Could be the stem wasn’t tight and shifted. You are never going to know. Anyhow, front steering problems will put you on the ground.

I’m going to guess the chain came off due to violence. if it came off first it would block up the pedaling but not wreck the bike.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-02-23, 09:19 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I always keep a good grip of the handlebars going downhill. The smallest bump in the road can spell trouble, at any speed. Anything above ~45mph gets scary, particularly if around cars. Hope for a full recovery.