Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Best Fenders For a Bicycle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 04:10 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts

What is the best fenders I can buy for my '84 St 400Cannondale? Planet Bike, VO or something else.
Old 09-18-23, 06:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Just MHO: SKS Raceblade Longrunners or Bluemels. They last so long the manufacturer is bought out and changes the name, so I'm not sure what the equivalent is to what I have.

Planet Bike also is reported to make good fenders.

Metal fenders (Velo Orange, Honjo, or similar) are, IME, darn next to impossible to get on right. But they look classy and work well after you drill another hole or three and buy some extra parts because you cut them too short. If you wanted to be a machinist when you grew up but couldn't find a job, give them a shot.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-19-23, 06:00 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
There are no "best".

I've installed every single kind and make out there. Quality branded fenders do cost more and worth every penny.

My "best" fenders are all-plastic fenders that mount only at the fork (front), and that little area that connects the seat stays (rear).

I like those for commuting because they are flexible as hell and I don't have to worry about them deforming out of place as my bike is rammed thru doorways, trains, subway.
Old 09-19-23, 09:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
There are no "best".

I've installed every single kind and make out there. Quality branded fenders do cost more and worth every penny.
IMO, the "best" fenders for a commuter bike were mounted to the bicycle at the factory, painted to match the frame and delivered to the customer installed and ready to "fend" from the word go and at no extra cost.

No need to "upgrade" or fret about fit or mounting issues.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-19-23, 09:39 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
IMO, the "best" fenders for a commuter bike were mounted to the bicycle at the factory, painted to match the frame and delivered to the customer installed and ready to "fend" from the word go and at no extra cost.
Was gonna say the "best" fenders are the ones you already own, but your example trumps that.
Old 09-19-23, 10:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Berthoud are worth the money and hassle. It's very difficult to mess them up. I'm assuming that a commuter is going to be stored in a rack occasionally.
Old 09-19-23, 12:47 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Going back a few years, it was so cold (one day.) the fender cracked in half when a rock hit it down by the mud flap. Man, cold is tough on almost everything!
Old 09-20-23, 08:50 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
The best fenders are the fenders you don't have to install yourself. I have installed VO and SKS longboards. The SKS in particular were not fun....
Old 09-20-23, 02:54 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

Ok, but I think the OP will need to invent a time machine to go back 40 years and convince the Cannondale product manager to spec fenders on their ST400. In the meantime, any of the full coverage fenders from Planet Bike or SKS will work well.
Old 09-20-23, 05:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Ok, but I think the OP will need to invent a time machine to go back 40 years and convince the Cannondale product manager to spec fenders on their ST400. In the meantime, any of the full coverage fenders from Planet Bike or SKS will work well.
Alternative solution would be for the OP to use a time machine to go back to the point in time when he decided to get a bicycle "best equipped" for all weather commuting and buy such a bike; it would have come with fenders already installed. It may have required picking up a used bicycle in the U.S. anytime after about 1980. Or buy such a bike today.
Old 09-20-23, 09:19 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
The SKS "Bluemels" are fantastic. VO are great but you need to dedicate a few hours to get everything measured, fabbed up then finally drilled and cut. Honjos are the same way but better than VO. You may go through several sets of PB before any of the above give you problems. This is just my opinion, of course.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 09-21-23, 09:42 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
sks raceblades and planet bike... are good
Old 09-21-23, 02:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with fenders, just the Planet Bike silver polycarbonate Cascadias on my RockHopper; they're great. I've had them since 2019, and they haven't cracked or broken and they keep my feet and my drivetrain dry. They're also a price I can afford.

Looking at their current offerings, the SpeedEZ look easy to install and remove, and of course there's always clip-ons. I leave mine on year round, but others don't. Show us pics of what you get!
Old 09-30-23, 11:53 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
One thing's for sure, old and STEEL is real. Even better is these on a 1973 CCM with SA 3 speed, near the best ever with mounts that can not rattle, when riding at least. The front one could have been an inch longer both ends I suppose.
For bonus points are my fabulous boot flaps. I can ride this thru puddles all day.
Pic also demonstrates the old front 650A/ 590 wheel and new rear 650B. I had to widen the fender profile, EASY with these fenders.

What you DON'T want is cheap alu ones usually accompanied by awful thick round alu struts that wrap around the back causing toe overlap. And the ONE bolt is HORRENDOUS to adjust or stay tight.
I had this alu junk on my new Simcoe. Impossible to add flaps anyway. Chucked it all and used my old fenders from my 1973 Raleigh and 1950ish Rudge. I also had to turn 2.5" bolts into the 1/2" eye bolts, LOL. I nickel plated the struts when I did my DIY stem.
One of the few things I didn't chuck was the seat. LOL.

I got real lucky with the fenders on my tour bike. Stainless steel ones from the late 70s I guess.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-01-23 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-01-23, 04:05 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I've been using Planet Bike Cascadias on two bikes for the last 13-15 years. One I even drilled and mounted a dynamo taillight to without problems over the last 9 years. Both bikes have survived budget-friendly moves domestically and overseas twice...

They both still look great, including the white ones! PB offers replacement hardware at very reasonable prices, too, even all these years later.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 10-04-23, 08:11 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
All mounting hrdwr you need includes spacers 4 disc brakes.

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/f...eguard-700-41/
Old 10-05-23, 06:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I'm not picky about fenders. They're all fine for me. The longer, the better.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-05-23, 08:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I don't like the Planet Bike road width fenders. They are not stiff enough to work with a real flap that actually keeps feet dry and clean most of the time. (Such flaps, when made with a dry feet friendly "U" shape, tend to cause aerodynamic oscillations. Planet Bike made a series of choices that all make the issue worse. A more flexible plastic. Single struts. Removing material at the fork crown to pass the bracket through the fender to the brake bolt! I routinely do things like make additional sheet metal reinforcing pop riveted on at the fork crown and on one bike, ran a tight tie between the front tip of the fender and the end of the stem. Adjust everyth+ing to minimize oscillations, even at the sacrifice of other niceties.

Several of my bike wear the Planet Bike fenders simply because they are one of the few that make really bright ones. Why SKS and others cannot figure out that bikes would be far more visible in the dark winter months of northern latitudes (like SKS's home, Germany) is beyond me. The English had that figured out 50 years ago. Winter training on beater, fendered bikes is a long, long tradition.
Likes For 79pmooney: