Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

26 mile comute : crazy ?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

26 mile comute : crazy ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 09:32 AM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
I have debated moving closer to the ocean and further out of town which would stretch my commute from 7.5 miles each way to 25 miles each way. Currently commuting on an analog bike averaging 16.5mph or so, and would seriously consider something like the Specialized Turbo Creo to help me attain 50 miles a day. The question I have and don't know the answer to, and one you'll want to find out, is based on what e-bike you are riding what average speed can you realistically achieve and hold? The Creo has a small motor yet maxes at 28mph, but that doesn't mean that I could keep it there for an hour. I would have to do a serious test ride or rental before I committed to it. The one upside to that specific bike is the drop bars and the weight (30lbs), meaning even if the battery died out on me for some reason I could still realistically pedal it home around my current pace as its almost identical in weight/geometry etc. as my current bike.
Likes For ericlowney:
Old 10-04-23, 11:59 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
With a good ebike and a reasonable level of fitness I wouldn't consider this an excessive commute although longer than my ideal of around 12miles/20km. I've several times had 12mi commutes and on a cross bike or gravel bike it was typically a 45min commute give or take. Being that at those times I lived in midsized cities and the jobs were in nearby towns or small cities the commute on a good day for me would be faster than car. Nice not having to deal with construction slow down, long lines at lights and being able to roll through side street stop signs. On a bad day it would take me an extra 10 min. Anything longer would be balancing the advantages/disadvantages.

When I lived in the country and there are at least 15 climbs over the 21miles to my job, a bike wasn't a reasonable option, en ebike could have been reasonable on occasion as it can be made to average 20mph, but that's still 40min slower than the car since there was only 5 stop signs over those 20 miles and one slow down through a village that had no stop signs or lights.

However, I've been considering an ebike for times I have to visit with people in NYC, I currently live in Long Island. The drive there can be insane, often over an hour in stop and go traffic, lots of stop lights and signs, NYC has a 25mph speed limit, no right turns on red, 20mph school zones, excessive speed and light cameras, bridge tolls and really difficult parking. I don't have commuter parking, its a large expense for needing to park at the train a dozen times a year so taking the train involves biking to the train station or taking a very slow bus, waiting around for a train, followed by a 40min ride into the city at about $30.00 round trip, then subway expenses and wait times. The cheap way is to park at the closest subway entrance to my house which has plentiful parking but the drive there is 30minutes followed by a 40 min subway ride.

Riding an ebike for the 24 miles to get there would be a little over an hour, so as fast or faster than a train or subway, faster than a car. Free into the city, free parking so at least a 30.00 savings every trip if not far more. And a more enjoyable experience over a crowded train or heavy traffic. Other than there being no direct route, there is not a lot of downside, but I also would change jobs or homes if that was my daily commute.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-06-23, 09:12 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
With a good ebike and a reasonable level of fitness I wouldn't consider this an excessive commute although longer than my ideal of around 12miles/20km. I've several times had 12mi commutes and on a cross bike or gravel bike it was typically a 45min commute give or take. Being that at those times I lived in midsized cities and the jobs were in nearby towns or small cities the commute on a good day for me would be faster than car. Nice not having to deal with construction slow down, long lines at lights and being able to roll through side street stop signs. On a bad day it would take me an extra 10 min. Anything longer would be balancing the advantages/disadvantages.

When I lived in the country and there are at least 15 climbs over the 21miles to my job, a bike wasn't a reasonable option, en ebike could have been reasonable on occasion as it can be made to average 20mph, but that's still 40min slower than the car since there was only 5 stop signs over those 20 miles and one slow down through a village that had no stop signs or lights.

However, I've been considering an ebike for times I have to visit with people in NYC, I currently live in Long Island. The drive there can be insane, often over an hour in stop and go traffic, lots of stop lights and signs, NYC has a 25mph speed limit, no right turns on red, 20mph school zones, excessive speed and light cameras, bridge tolls and really difficult parking. I don't have commuter parking, its a large expense for needing to park at the train a dozen times a year so taking the train involves biking to the train station or taking a very slow bus, waiting around for a train, followed by a 40min ride into the city at about $30.00 round trip, then subway expenses and wait times. The cheap way is to park at the closest subway entrance to my house which has plentiful parking but the drive there is 30minutes followed by a 40 min subway ride.

Riding an ebike for the 24 miles to get there would be a little over an hour, so as fast or faster than a train or subway, faster than a car. Free into the city, free parking so at least a 30.00 savings every trip if not far more. And a more enjoyable experience over a crowded train or heavy traffic. Other than there being no direct route, there is not a lot of downside, but I also would change jobs or homes if that was my daily commute.
There is one place in the NYC area I don't ever ride and that is the south shore of Long Island. And to consider riding from there to Manhattan just seems nuts, having to go through all of Queens and/or Brooklyn. And you are kidding yourself about a little over an hour ride. I commuted 10 miles from Brooklyn to Manhattan and it always took an hour no matter which bike I used and how fit I was. My carbon fiber road bike sat and stopped at the same traffic lights as my heavy MTB commuter. I could maybe save a minute or two in Prospect Park or crossing the Manhattan Bridge on the faster bike even blasting up when I could still do that.
Old 10-06-23, 09:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by zacster
There is one place in the NYC area I don't ever ride and that is the south shore of Long Island. And to consider riding from there to Manhattan just seems nuts, having to go through all of Queens and/or Brooklyn. And you are kidding yourself about a little over an hour ride. I commuted 10 miles from Brooklyn to Manhattan and it always took an hour no matter which bike I used and how fit I was. My carbon fiber road bike sat and stopped at the same traffic lights as my heavy MTB commuter. I could maybe save a minute or two in Prospect Park or crossing the Manhattan Bridge on the faster bike even blasting up when I could still do that.
Long Island drivers are sketchy when it comes to cyclists but if there's one place I hate driving more than any other its Brooklyn. Between the Belt Parkway(parking lot) and the insane number of light and speed cameras and poorly timed lights with stop signs in between, going through Brooklyn is horrendous. However, riding through usually results in just as quick times and its annoying when driving, especially in the Prospect park area, how many cyclists can just casually ride right past you. I know getting through Manhattan has been marginally faster on bikes the times I've gone and that was pedaling a single speed. Spending 40 blocks next to the same cars while ebikes buzz right past and are gone in comparison.

Looking at maps, getting from my place to Mt. Sinai on monday morning, car is an hour to 2 hours, heavily traffic dependent, public transport is an hour and 45 mins and bike is 2hrs 10min but that's never usually accurate. Public is always slower than claimed, bike has always been faster, and car is probably about 1.5hrs. But, parking near the hospital is poor and so add in the find a parking spot and walk time and locking a bike up outside the door helps to bridge the time difference. From my riding through all the areas in between, there's always some sketch spots but that's just an issue with riding any place there's cars. Wouldn't want to do it regularly, but for the once every other month I need to it seems it could be a good way to go.
Old 10-07-23, 02:16 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
@Russ Roth, have you considered finding a job closer to home? Your commute sounds insane! The hours of stress and the money, every day... I couldn't hack that, but I'm a wimp.
Old 10-07-23, 05:33 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by Korina
@Russ Roth, have you considered finding a job closer to home? Your commute sounds insane! The hours of stress and the money, every day... I couldn't hack that, but I'm a wimp.
Thought I mentioned I only have to make that trip about every 6 weeks. I have to visit someone in the hospital this week and will make the trip, haven't had to do so in 7 weeks since I had to get a marriage officiant license. Otherwise my commute is about 50 yards from my door to the office and since everyone knows where my door is and there's a secretary I don't often bother going to the office. But in any given month I can have 4 or 5 meetings that require trips of 3-50 miles and hospital, nursing home and rehab facility visits from 5-15 miles away. I'm looking forward to using the ebike I just bought for the wife and I to use to make the closer visits, anything under 20 miles. Anything under 5 or 6 miles I probably will stick with the single speed when it isn't too hot or wet as I usually prefer. Over 20 miles and I'll definitely still be dropping the top on the Miata and enjoying the drive. I might try the ebike to NYC just to see how it goes and if its any improvement over the usual methods.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-07-23, 10:11 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Well then never mind! Enjoy your commute!

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Thought I mentioned I only have to make that trip about every 6 weeks. I have to visit someone in the hospital this week and will make the trip, haven't had to do so in 7 weeks since I had to get a marriage officiant license. Otherwise my commute is about 50 yards from my door to the office and since everyone knows where my door is and there's a secretary I don't often bother going to the office. But in any given month I can have 4 or 5 meetings that require trips of 3-50 miles and hospital, nursing home and rehab facility visits from 5-15 miles away. I'm looking forward to using the ebike I just bought for the wife and I to use to make the closer visits, anything under 20 miles. Anything under 5 or 6 miles I probably will stick with the single speed when it isn't too hot or wet as I usually prefer. Over 20 miles and I'll definitely still be dropping the top on the Miata and enjoying the drive. I might try the ebike to NYC just to see how it goes and if its any improvement over the usual methods.