Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How often do you see used Rene Herse cranksets for sale?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 08:20 AM
MB33 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

I've been wanting to buy one of these in a triple version, any era from their debut year to the recent reissued model. I'm just hoping to get one for a bit less than the $550 they're asking for a new one. Has anyone ever seen a used one for sale anywhere?
Old 10-20-23, 08:55 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I have never seen a used one. Only one data point of course

these are not a high volume part, and people who buy one are likely to have really thought it out purchase and unlikely to move them on.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-20-23, 09:07 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
I have also never seen used ones for sale (although I did buy a Rivendell Rambouillet 8 years ago with a set mounted, so that was a used set, but part of the overall purchase of a bike, not sold separately).
Old 10-20-23, 10:28 AM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Recent ebay sale / used item 126098785404 sold for $415 + $12.55 shipping. 171 arm length / 42-26t rings. Included an SKF bottom bracket.
Old 10-20-23, 10:31 AM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MB33
I've been wanting to buy one of these in a triple version, any era from their debut year to the recent reissued model. I'm just hoping to get one for a bit less than the $550 they're asking for a new one. Has anyone ever seen a used one for sale anywhere?
Have you thought about using another crank? There are strong and light vintage cranks out there for a lot less money. For example, a Stronglight 99 crankset weighs the same, will support a 28t, and can be bought for less than $100.
Likes For BertoBerg:
Old 10-20-23, 11:55 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
I've only seen one for sale, used, and I troll most of the internet sale locations pretty regularly. I think the points made above are correct: the people who buy one are quite sure that that's the exact piece that they want, so they don't tend to re-sell them. And there are plenty of good alternatives on the used market.
Old 10-20-23, 01:28 PM
cake jersey
Friction is Shifty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually have a double (44/28?) that came on a recent acquisition. Beautiful, but fancier than I need. Feel free to DM me if you'd like to discuss.
Old 10-20-23, 01:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I've only seen one for sale, used, and I troll most of the internet sale locations pretty regularly. I think the points made above are correct: the people who buy one are quite sure that that's the exact piece that they want, so they don't tend to re-sell them. And there are plenty of good alternatives on the used market.
We may have seen the same one. I thought about it, but didn't want to spend the money at the time. The person that sold it decided it didn't look right on their bike.
It surprises me that there aren't more of them out there, people are fickle.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-20-23, 03:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
My lower-priced knock off is the Andel 46/30t “classic” crankset:

I bought it a couple of times from Velo Duo in the UK, though doesn’t seem to be currently listed.
Old 10-20-23, 04:21 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

these are not a high volume part, and people who buy one are likely to have really thought it out purchase and unlikely to move them on.
That would be my guess- They're an expensive part that's sorta niche- shiny, sort of retro, not Campagnolo... So unless it really doesn't work out- you've planned for it and threw down on it.

That being said, there's also parts that I have not in use and even multiples of that I have stashed and will not move on anytime in the foreseeable future.
Originally Posted by unterhausen
One thing to note- While we have a lot of people that post here, a lot more view and don't comment and may not even be members. When I did my Command Shifter 10 speed upgrade and posted about it- I only know of one person here that got one of the indexing rings- HOWEVER I talked to the guy that makes them and he got a bunch more orders than usual in the months following my thread.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-20-23, 04:26 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Years ago I tried to talk a Japanese shop owner into selling me the one he had on display at his small bike shop full of goodies. My Japanese wasn't that good, his English was the same, but I don't think that even if either of us was fluent that it would have changed the outcome.

Those are cherished by their owners, unlikely to part ways with. They are not only few in numbers but it one happens to trickle down through a state sale they quickly disappear again.
Old 10-20-23, 05:52 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
We may have seen the same one. I thought about it, but didn't want to spend the money at the time. The person that sold it decided it didn't look right on their bike.
And, personally, I'd be in the market for the 177mm version. If I were looking at all; I'm not. I'm too cheap. When there are Ritchey and XT M737 and XTR M900 cranks, I'm not worried about finding Rene Herse cranks.
Old 10-20-23, 06:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
My lower-priced knock off is the Andel 46/30t “classic” crankset:
That's a nice looking crankset, but it appears that a 30t is the smallest chainring size you can get for it. There are several makes of 46-30 cranksets out there for skinny guys like you.

The best hill climbing advice I ever got was riding down the backside of Cypress with Neal, after he'd waited a long time at the top of the climb for me to get there.

"Hey Mahk"
"What Neal?"
"Wanna be a bettuh climbuh?
"Yeah Neal!"
"Lose some weight!"

Great advice, but not that easy to follow.
Old 10-21-23, 05:29 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
I sold a well used set last summer to guy who was in my garage buying another part. They were on my self, not in use and he was a nice young guy…$100 I think. If you’re in my garage, I’m ready to deal!