Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain waxing question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain waxing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 11:02 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Chain waxing question

What size crockpot would you recommend?
Old 01-05-24, 11:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
A size that fits the coiled up chain and enough wax to cover the chain. Usually far smaller a pot than what most meals would be cooked in. Do you have a store that sells kitchenware near you to check out? Andy
Old 01-05-24, 11:17 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks Andy, I’m looking at used crockpots online. Saw a 1 quart version…..probably large enough?
Old 01-05-24, 11:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
Thanks Andy, I’m looking at used crockpots online. Saw a 1 quart version…..probably large enough?
Coil up a chain and measure to see how big a pot bottom you need. Andy
Old 01-05-24, 11:36 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
I bought a 1.5qt crockpot on Amazon - cost me ~$14 IIRC. A 1.5 liter pot is about the same capacity.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 01-05-24, 11:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
For scale, you can put a chain in the bottom of a 20 oz (600 mL) Gatorade bottle and the chain doesn’t fill the bottle much past the half way point. 20oz is only a bit over a pint. A one quart crockpot would be more than enough. Finding one that size is going to be difficult, however. Most likely your are going to find all kinds of 4 quart ones.

Go to a thrift store and buy a used one. It’s not worth buying one on-line.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-05-24, 11:49 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
the smallest one works for me. $14 at target.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-05-24, 02:10 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I recommend saving your money and using a mix of chainsaw bar oil and 4 parts mineral spirits on a cleaned chain. I gave up on hot wax a couple of decades ago because it was a pain and needed to be refried after a ride in the rain.
Old 01-05-24, 04:22 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I recommend saving your money and using a mix of chainsaw bar oil and 4 parts mineral spirits on a cleaned chain. I gave up on hot wax a couple of decades ago because it was a pain and needed to be refried after a ride in the rain.
I must be doing it wrong as it is super easy and takes no time at all. I wonder what the heck I am doing wrong?
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-05-24, 10:37 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Whatever size your local thrift store has on hand.

But seriously, mine is a small 2 quart Crock Pot. $5 at Goodwill. You may want to use a larger one if you are going to use a hanger or do multiple chains.
Old 01-06-24, 01:09 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Get the smallest pot you can and use just enough wax to cover the chain. Don't make the mistake I made and got a medium sized pot with way too much wax. now it takes me a whole hour + just to heat the wax up, and even worse- well more than an hour to wait for it to cool down.
Actually let me amend that to - just enough wax to reach where the heating coils are. I don't know about other Crockpots, but mine seems to have the heating coil on the SIDES of the pot roughly a third of the way up the sides. I have no idea why they design it like that. Seems like a really stupid design. So anyways, the wax needs to at least reach where the heating coils are.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 01-06-24 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-06-24, 02:16 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Last year I bought a 2 quart Crock-Pot from Wally World for a whopping $10. I checked their website today it seems they've replaced the CP brand 2 qt model with their own Mainstays brand for the same price. Capacities of slow cooker pots is always less than stated. Two quart would be the smallest size I'd use as the inner pot is tapered, so a chain coiled takes up most of the bottom. If you wanted to have room to move the chain around an oval 3-4 quart one would be great.
Old 01-06-24, 11:56 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
The one you have.

You know, the one in the basement that you bought 20 years ago to make chili and pulled BBQ but hasn't been out of the dark since bolt-on aero bars were a thing.
Old 01-06-24, 03:00 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I've been using a wax warmer (for removing hair) that I bought for heating accordion wax - 0.5l capacity and it's exactly the right size for 1 chain.

Not currently available on Amazon, but you can find something similar on the web.
https://www.amazon.com/Guckmall-Kit%...ct_top?ie=UTF8
It was £27 in 2018.

A very useful feature is you set the dial for 92C and just leave it until the wax melts and the chain drops in.
Old 01-06-24, 07:27 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I use a modification of a method that was put forth years ago by a guy named Garth of the Bicycling magazine forums.

I heat up the chain in the oven to about 190 degrees in a pie pan, sprinkle it with a little powdered graphite, then rub it with a cake of wax. Turn it over and repeat.
Works fine, I don't have to deal with a pot of hot wax, and the most time-consuming part is waiting for the oven to come up to temperature.
Old 01-06-24, 09:29 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I use a modification of a method that was put forth years ago by a guy named Garth of the Bicycling magazine forums.

I heat up the chain in the oven to about 190 degrees in a pie pan, sprinkle it with a little powdered graphite, then rub it with a cake of wax. Turn it over and repeat.
Works fine, I don't have to deal with a pot of hot wax, and the most time-consuming part is waiting for the oven to come up to temperature.
But is the wax getting into the rollers where it's needed. I just throw my chains in the pot and go shoot a game of pool while it does its thing. By the time I return they're ready for a swish around the bottom and then hung up to cool while the pot is put away.
Old 01-07-24, 07:25 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I bought a 1.5 Quart on Amazon for $14. I also bought a small round deep fryer basket/strainer that fits nicely into the slow cooker.
Old 01-07-24, 08:25 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
IMO I prefer a bigger crock pot over the very small one...I have one of each now...the larger one allows for easier 'swishing' of the chain in the oil bath while the smaller one did not.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 01-07-24, 10:33 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I bought a small Crock Pot at my local GoodWill store. 2, 8oz blocks of wax exactly fit. So exact in fact that the chain displacement would cause an overflow. I stopped dropping in the chain, gave the wax pot a good stir and used a small Tupperware to remove about 4oz of wax.

1qt (16oz) is teetering on the edge of too small. It also requires a bit of care to get an entire chain to fit since the links are only flexible in one direction. A 1.5 quart is probably a better size.

I checked with a cooking thermometer. Mine holds at ~220 degrees farenheit. I don't know if that is good or bad. But it makes sense that it could be good to in the rare case a chain might have some moisture in/on it.
Old 01-07-24, 10:42 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

I've read somewhere that if you overheat the wax it will change it slightly and 92C (198 F) is around the ideal temperature.
Old 01-07-24, 10:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I've read somewhere that if you overheat the wax it will change it slightly and 92C (198 F) is around the ideal temperature.
Not at temperature or conditions you can get to in a crockpot. Paraffin is distilled from petroleum at 170°C to 310°C (338°F to 590°F). It has a flash point of of 200°C (390°F). It is also very stable chemically and doesn’t react with much of anything in the absence of some exotic catalysts.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-07-24, 11:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
That makes sense that mine would be a little warm. I am right next to the interstate transmission substation that feeds the distribution substation next to the neighborhood stepdown transformer. I literally have a 115,000 volt line above my driveway. Consequently my 220v electricity is closer to 245 & my 110v 124-125volts on any given day. That alone could make the resistive element heat the Crock Pot a few degrees warmer. Since there really isn't any controls in the thing and they have to make it for most consumers 110-115v nominal supply.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-07-24, 11:05 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not at temperature or conditions you can get to in a crockpot. Paraffin is distilled from petroleum at 170°C to 310°C (338°F to 590°F). It has a flash point of of 200°C (390°F). It is also very stable chemically and doesn’t react with much of anything in the absence of some exotic catalysts.
You're almost certainly correct.
I was going from stuff like this
According to Molten Speed Wax, the temperature of the wax should not exceed 93
degrees celsius / 200 degree fahrenheit, both for safety and performance reasons.
From https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/wor...to-wax-a-chain
That could well be something particular to Speed Wax, or just complete b*ll*cks.

Looks like there's some concern about too much paraffin vapour as that's flamable.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 01-07-24 at 11:05 AM. Reason: 2 ls, doh
Old 01-07-24, 11:24 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Ah, carp. Everything was fine before I knew. Now that I know, Imma hafta install a resistor in line to voltage drop a bit so it equalizes at a better temp. Oh, the pains of living in the first world.

This should be fun.
Old 01-07-24, 11:29 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by base2
Ah, carp. Everything was fine before I knew. Now that I know, Imma hafta install a resistor in line to voltage drop a bit so it equalizes at a better temp.

This should be fun.
You might be fine, I think a lot of people put a pan of wax in boiling water to keep the temperature stable.
That would suggest 212F is fine

That might be an issue if you do it on a gas cooker though - paraffin vapour..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.