Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

The Great 2024 Le Grande Garage Free-fest! FREE! Trek Pro Series 560 frameset!

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 03:21 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts

Okay, I've been looking forward to doing this for a long time, so I'm really excited. I've been inspired to reduce the size of the collection/fleet/garbage pile. The inspiration for this has come from a few sources, and as I have been figuring out my fit and the type of bikes I like and what qualities I like in them, I realize it is time. Sooooo...

PREFACE!

What the heck is even happening?

Well, I'm giving away free bikes and frames. That's pretty much it!

Why are you doing this?

A bout of temporary insanity? A fit of madness? Out of space? Perhaps those Huffys do ride better than anyone thinks! Hmm...things to ponder!

Maybe a hint of all of the above, but the truth, as we all know, is that it's way more fun to give than receive. And I have been the recipient of more than a fair share of kindness, free-age, and help. I have been truly blessed in my life, both from members on the forum, and in other areas of my life. It's time to give back! And I'm really excited to do so!

My hope is that whomever becomes the recipient/custodian can find their own way to give back and pay it forward, in whatever shape that takes. Maybe it's a little extra kindness towards someone, maybe it's writing that letter to an estranged family member they've been scared to write, maybe it's helping that old lady across the street or helping that person fix their flat tire on the side of the road. Or maybe it's just helping @cudak888 lift his gorgeous Huffy onto that new bike mount he made!

How does it work?

Well, if you want it, it's yours! However, while I admit I have zero control over anything once it leaves my hands, I will ask our dear bike flippers to stay thine hands! Yes, you could probably make a little money off of it. So could I have. But that isn't the point. Some things are just better than making a buck, and while I'm a firm believer in releasing obligations from things that aren't yours, let's at least try to give the folks who either A) have been looking for one of these for a while, or B), someone that is going to really derive a lot of joy from owning/fixing/riding the first shot at these. If I get no takers, I will be moving things on to the local co-op to decide from there.

Location, location, location...

As they always say! I'm to the southeast of the Denver, CO metro area. My first preference is for you to just come and get it from me, of course! I'm happy to help send any bikes/frames/parts along with anyone that might help them make their journey to you, and if you've got ideas for facilitation, I'm all ears. I am also thinking about attending Cino this year, so I could potentially bring some stuff up there with me.

I'm really, really, hoping I don't have to pack up the whole bikes and ship them out, however, I will figure out a way to do so for the right person. I would also really, really prefer not to pay for shipping, since I paid for the bikes when I first got them and would hope to not have to pay for them once I take leave of them.

Thanks for looking, and let's have some fun! I've got a LOT of items I'm going to be posting, and we're going to be going from 'wow' to 'yeeow!' to 'holy cow!!!' hahaha

3rd up...

A gorgeous 1987 Trek Pro Series 560! We're talking Reynolds here, folks! Not just 529, or 530, but 531! 531!! Since my tastes have become more refined now, I far prefer heavy seamed gas pipe these days, so the lowly 531 has gotta go!

While this one utilizes the 'unilug', which is that headtube+lugs combo unit, one observation I've made is that since this one is cast, rather than stamped like the early ones, it doesn't have the same stress risers that came from the first unilugs - one of the 'good' ones!

In any case, this is an aggressive, rubber-to-the-road street machine. Which for me, was a little too aggressive in this smaller size. I could probably ride a 53/54cm, but its just a bit too squished for me, so could you ride it? If so, come get it!

Honestly though, its a pretty nice frameset. Original paint, no major damage and just very light scuffs/chips. No rust. It presents really well for what it is. This would be a fabulous frameset to build up if you are into Treks and this sizing works for you. Since now I have both my '79 Trek 930 and my Clang find '83 Trek 600 (with the 'less-than-ideal' unilug), both in my ideal size, I'm pretty well set on Treks, unless someone wants to give me a 170! (Bueller? Bueller?)

Would love to see this one go to a good home. More to come!

And here is how it looked all built up -

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 01-20-24 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-20-24, 04:36 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Well! This one is currently 'pending' as is! I'm glad to see some of these things are generating a little bit of interest!

Old 01-21-24, 09:56 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I’m at the same point in life that you are (and I have really long legs), so I must refrain. But good on you for paying it forward!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-26-24, 10:12 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

A successful hand-off today! A relative of brewerkz is now the new owner of this Trek!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-28-24, 09:14 AM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
A successful hand-off today! A relative of brewerkz is now the new owner of this Trek!
thank you !
Likes For brewerkz: