Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sidewalk bicycling

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sidewalk bicycling

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 05:58 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John C. Ratliff
Originally Posted by crhilton
I hate it when they do that. It's so dangerous. Yes, it slows you down. But you have to concentrate on cornering, keeping balance at low speed, and down shifting while watching for traffic before you cross. I have a much easier time controlling my own slow downs and just checking for traffic, that way I'm prepared for a quick stop if I need it. In these designs I'm likely to fall over if I need to stop and didn't think I would.
Try it on a long wheel based recumbant.

John

Last edited by John C. Ratliff; 02-25-08 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add the photo
Old 02-25-08, 11:31 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate it when they do that. It's so dangerous. Yes, it slows you down. But you have to concentrate on cornering, keeping balance at low speed, and down shifting while watching for traffic before you cross. I have a much easier time controlling my own slow downs and just checking for traffic, that way I'm prepared for a quick stop if I need it. In these designs I'm likely to fall over if I need to stop and didn't think I would.
It's good that these designs slow you down, but you shouldn't be so unsteady that they make it likely for you to fall over.

Find an empty parking lot and learn to do ovals in an empty parking spot. Make sure you can do it in both directions. Then work on figure 8's.

Also, work on stopping your bike by leaving your feet on the pedals until you come to a complete stopping, then taking your foot off. Then work on stopping, counting a few seconds while continuing to balance, then taking your foot off.

Low speed stability is crucial to safety.
Old 02-26-08, 08:10 AM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
It's good that these designs slow you down, but you shouldn't be so unsteady that they make it likely for you to fall over.

Find an empty parking lot and learn to do ovals in an empty parking spot. Make sure you can do it in both directions. Then work on figure 8's.

Also, work on stopping your bike by leaving your feet on the pedals until you come to a complete stopping, then taking your foot off. Then work on stopping, counting a few seconds while continuing to balance, then taking your foot off.

Low speed stability is crucial to safety.
Low speed stability isn't a problem. 2 mile an hour stability turning 90 degree corners while watching 160 degrees behind me for traffic then needing to make a sudden stop throws me off.

Besides that, I may not be terribly good but I guarantee I'm better at this than 50% of the trail users. The ones who ride a bike every now and then, and are worrying about things like their children (who are behind them) in addition.

The advice is appreciated though .
Old 02-27-08, 09:30 PM
Bikecop921

Bikes: TREK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the small town I work in, it is actually against the city code to ride a bicycle or skateboard on the sidewalks of the city. Personally I do not choose to enforce the code as most cyclists in our area are the younger kids and I would much rather them have a close call with someone walking than I would them get hit by a car or truck on our busy main roads. But, if they are on the side walk and want to cross over the street they better either do it correctly or at a cross walk.

Now, with the majority of adult cyclists that come through town they know the laws and I have never seen any of them doing what is proper.
Old 03-01-08, 02:31 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
UNfortunately here in PDX they allow sidewalk cycling...which I detest. I hate to see the morons who bomb around here like they own the sidewalks, alienating the peds who are forced to move out of their way. If cyclists were more responsible and rode at a walking pace and said "excuse me" once in awhile it wouldn't be an issue. As a rider I don't do it unless forced to by the road conditions, and then only as long as I absolutely have to.
Old 03-06-08, 05:57 AM
irabidfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You hardly ever see someone here where I live in Northridge, Ca NOT sidewalk cycling, when I began my bike commute I too stayed on the other side of the curb. Main Artery roads can be very intimidating after all, there is a reason why commuter cyclists often wrap their bikes in reflective tape. The road is a scary place. That said, the only time I was hit was when I came off the sidewalk. The driver should have been looking, and to make matters worse decided to make it a hit and run when he peeled away after smacking into me. Fortunately for me it was a minor scrape and it taught be a valuable lesson. In truth I was in the wrong and the driver really had no reason to expect me to be coming from that direction. I now ride strictly on the road, except for the last 100ft to my apartment complex gate (oh how I hate that gate and everything it stands for!). Riding on the sidewalks is not just rude to pedestrians, its dangerous for you the rider when you come to intersections. Don't be as stupid as me!
Old 03-16-08, 02:09 AM
tomcryar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding on the sidewalk is just as safe as YOU make it. It's no different than riding on the road, except that you have more challenges to deal with. Ride on the road, ride on the sidewalk------who gives a flying f@@@? Just ride and be safe in your own little riding world,
Old 03-16-08, 03:17 AM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomcryar
Riding on the sidewalk is just as safe as YOU make it. It's no different than riding on the road, except that you have more challenges to deal with. Ride on the road, ride on the sidewalk------who gives a flying f@@@? Just ride and be safe in your own little riding world,
Untill you mow down some little old lady or little kid. A bicycle on the sidewalk is as much a hazard to pedestrians as cars are to us on the road. Riding on sidewalks is illegal in my town.
Old 03-22-08, 05:38 AM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
can anyone show me an accident where a car hit a bicyclist ON THE SIDE WALK?

so when cars stop running people over in the street, and then taking off and leaving the cyclist to die,........

then I'll stop riding on the sidewalk.

I go nice and slow, usually only for a few blocks, and I use a bell, or call out so pedestrians realize I'm there.
Old 03-30-08, 09:41 PM
tumbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j0e_bik3
can anyone show me an accident where a car hit a bicyclist ON THE SIDE WALK?

so when cars stop running people over in the street, and then taking off and leaving the cyclist to die,........

then I'll stop riding on the sidewalk.

I go nice and slow, usually only for a few blocks, and I use a bell, or call out so pedestrians realize I'm there.
This is a valid point. Despite the research and expert opinions, the issue many people will have (especially those new to cycling) is that an accident on the road will almost certainly involve a car and an accident on the sidewalk will almost certainly involve a pedestrian. Because of differences in rider skill, location, speed, distance and other factors.... I disagree with blanket statements that sidewalk riding is idiotic.

For me personally, I've been biking for a good 10 years and am perfectly comfortable riding in NYC traffic. My wife on the other hand is brand new to riding and justifiably scared about being hit by the psychotic taxi drivers. We do most of our riding in Central Park, which is about a 5 minute ride from our apartment. At her skill level, the distance we're going, and the aggressiveness of NYC drivers, I can't in good faith recommend that she ride in the street until she's more comfortable on the bike. At the same time, any sidewalk riding we do is extremely slow and courteous.

You can't ignore the fact that Streets = Cars and Sidewalks = Other People.

Last edited by tumbler; 03-30-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 08:30 PM
WrenchDevil6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so I just read through 21 pages of "opinions" about the merits of riding on sidewalks/roads.

Unless I skipped one or two posts accidentally, I didn't see where any of you have ever been hit. Yeah, some of you say, "I was almost hit.". I'm here to tell you that I've been hit while riding on the sidewalk and while riding on the street. When I was riding on the sidewalk I was fully visible and moving at about 2MPH. When I got hit on the road, I had the right of way, with a left turning arrow(green), and the woman on the other side decided that a bicycle wasn't important enough to yield right of way to. I was hit while executing a proper right of way turn. It was a hit and run. Luckily, I was watching her fully and physically saw her make the decision to disregard me. Seeing her do that allowed me the opportunity to prepare for it and I jumped upon the hood of her suv, leaving her to run over my bike. I rolled off of her hood, she sped off.

Don't give me any bull**** about what's right or wrong, or who's right or wrong, or when the best situation is right for what. I've survived and am damned lucky. I am a year round commuter and I ride where I decide is safest for me. I respect everyone regardless of whether they're on the sidewalk or in the road, but I respect pedestrians space a bit more, especially since some clown almost ran over me when I was pulling into MY driveway this week.

I live in an area where there are no bike lanes, cars parked on both sides of the street (no escape), and I am in now way respected as a "vehicle" on the road. Not even the bike cops here ride on the street, as a rule.

You guys can argue what state/city ordinance says what, or what guru says is best and what statistics provide the best evidence to support your arguments, but until you've found yourselves rolling off of the hood of a hit and run, it's all just speculation on your part.

Bottom line: ride where YOU are the safest, wear your helmet at all times(while riding), and enjoy yourselves as much as I do, regardless of where you're riding.
Old 04-20-08, 09:09 AM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WrenchDevil6
Ok, so I just read through 21 pages of "opinions" about the merits of riding on sidewalks/roads.

Unless I skipped one or two posts accidentally, I didn't see where any of you have ever been hit. Yeah, some of you say, "I was almost hit.". I'm here to tell you that I've been hit while riding on the sidewalk and while riding on the street. When I was riding on the sidewalk I was fully visible and moving at about 2MPH. When I got hit on the road, I had the right of way, with a left turning arrow(green), and the woman on the other side decided that a bicycle wasn't important enough to yield right of way to. I was hit while executing a proper right of way turn. It was a hit and run. Luckily, I was watching her fully and physically saw her make the decision to disregard me. Seeing her do that allowed me the opportunity to prepare for it and I jumped upon the hood of her suv, leaving her to run over my bike. I rolled off of her hood, she sped off.

Don't give me any bull**** about what's right or wrong, or who's right or wrong, or when the best situation is right for what. I've survived and am damned lucky. I am a year round commuter and I ride where I decide is safest for me. I respect everyone regardless of whether they're on the sidewalk or in the road, but I respect pedestrians space a bit more, especially since some clown almost ran over me when I was pulling into MY driveway this week.

I live in an area where there are no bike lanes, cars parked on both sides of the street (no escape), and I am in now way respected as a "vehicle" on the road. Not even the bike cops here ride on the street, as a rule.

You guys can argue what state/city ordinance says what, or what guru says is best and what statistics provide the best evidence to support your arguments, but until you've found yourselves rolling off of the hood of a hit and run, it's all just speculation on your part.

Bottom line: ride where YOU are the safest, wear your helmet at all times(while riding), and enjoy yourselves as much as I do, regardless of where you're riding.
How was this productive? All you just said was "ride where you are safest." If you'd said "ride where you feel safest" at least it would make sense: I can figure out where I feel safest, in the moment, with no thought.
But knowing where I am safest requires some thought. Probably fore-thought!

Since you have such grand experience to which we should all crumble would you please tell us where you're usually safest? Maybe what conditions tend to make you safer in the other place?

Or should we just all stop talking because you've been hit and therefore we can never know?

I don't mean to attack by the way. I'm simply responding with the same disrespect you're displaying. And I would really like to hear you say something useful.
Old 04-21-08, 09:48 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
When I got hit on the road, I had the right of way, with a left turning arrow(green), and the woman on the other side decided that a bicycle wasn't important enough to yield right of way to. I was hit while executing a proper right of way turn. It was a hit and run. Luckily, I was watching her fully and physically saw her make the decision to disregard me.
Was she turning right?

Al
Old 04-21-08, 04:38 PM
WrenchDevil6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Was she turning right?

Al
Seeing as how she was not signaling to turn right, I had to assume that she wasn't turning right. She was also stopped across from me at her RED light, and then, yes she turned right, against her light and my light. My left turning arrow was GREEN.

I understand right-on-red and all that, but keep in mind that she went against the signal for oncoming traffic, as we had the GREEN.
Old 04-22-08, 08:43 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Seeing as how she was not signaling to turn right, I had to assume that she wasn't turning right. She was also stopped across from me at her RED light, and then, yes she turned right, against her light and my light. My left turning arrow was GREEN.

I understand right-on-red and all that, but keep in mind that she went against the signal for oncoming traffic, as we had the GREEN.
Did she turn tight or wide? Was there room for you to turn tight too? I assume there was only one lane on the cross street you were turning into.

(I am not faulting you in anyway as you had the ROW, just curious about what exactly happened)

Al
Old 04-22-08, 07:37 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to ride the sidewalk, ok. You can do it like a pedestrian: slow and steady.

If I used the sidewalk on my commute, it would probably take me 2 hours to get home, stop-and-go. Not my cup of tea.
Old 04-24-08, 07:17 PM
WrenchDevil6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Did she turn tight or wide? Was there room for you to turn tight too? I assume there was only one lane on the cross street you were turning into.

(I am not faulting you in anyway as you had the ROW, just curious about what exactly happened)

Al
She turned as if she owned the whole lane with no regard to my location. Again, I had the GREEN left-turning arrow, she had a RED. Regardless of any right-turn status:

1. She was not signaling to turn right.
2. She turned against oncoming traffic and disregarded right-of-way when she decided to turn right.

And yes, the street that I was turning onto when I turned left was only one lane.
Old 05-06-08, 09:19 AM
Northendfixie

Bikes: 80's Raleigh fixie, 80's Norco fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride primarily on the road during my commute, except for one strecth where the traffic is very heavy and fast, and there is a long vacant sidewalk with few intersections.

I think that most bike accidents occur where a cyclist riding on a sidewalk is hit by a car at a point where the sidewalk and roadway intersect. Of the close calls that I have had and seen in 2 seasons of commuting, most were exactly this. In my province (Manitoba, Canada) sidewalk riding is illegal but common.

Another point is that riding on the sidewalk reinforces the belief in motorists that bikes don't belong on the road, so its a viscious circle.
Old 05-08-08, 06:27 PM
bsut
just a commuter

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Allez Elite Triple, 197? Melton Tandem, 1972 Oxford 24" unicycle, 1973 Oxford 20" giraffe unicycle, lots of others in the family fleet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonQuixote1954
Originally Posted by John S. Allen, LAB Regional Director, New York/New England
"The evidence that bicycling on sidewalks and similar facilities is more hazardous than bicycling on streets is overwhelming."
If sidewalks are so dangerous,

1- Why do they have pedestrians walk on them?
Sidewalks are designed for pedestrians, not cyclists. That's why they're hazardous for cyclists.

2- Why don't they try to make our roads safer?
That's the point - roads are safer for cyclists than sidewalks.
Old 05-12-08, 08:13 AM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cycle in traffic where a lot of cyclists in Nashville will not. There is one half mile stretch that I will not ride on. I purposely get on the sidewalk. It a half mile of being near the projects and frankly, the drivers there don't even look and will go on if they hit you. It's the only place I have ever gotten on the sidewalk to ride.
Old 05-16-08, 08:28 PM
Ron in Regina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidewalk Bicycling

I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada where it is illegal to ride a
bicycle with a wheel diameter greater than 400mm (16") on a sidewalk,
but it doesn't seem to stop anyone and this bylaw it isn't enforced. When
I'm on a sidewalk, I'm a pedestrian, and having a Mountain Bike pass me
on a 4' wide sidewalk is not a safe experience at all.
When I'm on the sidewalk, I'm usually walking my dog (70kg), and again,
having someone pass me at speed on a 4' wide sidewalk when I'm trying
haul my dog up onto someone's lawn to avoid an unpleasant situation is not
fair to those of us that obey the laws.
I'm not knocking Bicyclists, but the sidewalks are for pedestrians here &
for those bicycles with a wheel diameter of 400mm (16") or less (=Children).
Bicycles here are considered "vehicles" and must follow the same rules of
the road as other vehicles but very few bicyclers seem to do so. I personally
believe there is a great need for some educational enforcement on this issue.
I wouldn't dream of driving my CB750K on the sidewalks, or to a corner
and through a red light (even though I'm driving across the street in a cross
walk against that same red light) or in traffic in the winter, as that would be
dangerously dumb on my part. Not everyone on a bicycle or a motorcycle
or a truck is an idiot, but the ones that ignore the law are not helping the rest
of us. I'm not picking on Bicyclers here; just the ones that think the Law is just
for other people.
Old 05-21-08, 01:21 PM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just cut across the grass. You'll slow down and avoid the cornering.
Old 05-21-08, 02:31 PM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly ride roads, but I mix in the sidewalk when I feel it saves time and is safer than the roads.

You just have to keep two things in mind on sidewalks.
- When passing pedestrians, give a holler and don't go faster than jogging speed
- Look out for cars from all directions on anyplace where cars can drive through (driveways, turns, crosswalks, etc)

Some people stick by a rule too much, but you just need to make exceptions when needed.
Old 05-31-08, 08:02 AM
MrZhuKeeper

Bikes: Dawes Lightning Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any trouble with riding on the sidewalk. Over here in the suburbs of CA, the majority of people ride on the sidewalk. In the city, it's different, most people ride on the road where there are traffic jams.

I don't see any harm in riding on the sidewalk. I prefer to go 5-8 mph on the sidewalk, than going 15-20 mph on the road with cars zooming 35-50 mph past me and car doors suddenly opening on me. I say a combination of sidewalk and road is the best. I don't see how anyone could say riding on the sidewalk is dangerous.

I've always thought that riding on the sidewalk is the safest choice. I still do. Going 5-8 mi/hr on a busy sidewalk don't seem dangerous to me --haven't gotten me into any trouble yet. I only go 15-20 mi/hr on a sidewalk when there's no one.
Old 06-06-08, 12:39 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsut
Sidewalks are designed for pedestrians, not cyclists. That's why they're hazardous for cyclists.

That's the point - roads are safer for cyclists than sidewalks.
you can't say this as a blanket statement and have it be true everywhere. it depends on the location, rider, and local conditions.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.