Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

spotted a new cycle machine w video screen at gym

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 09:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts

I've used various stationary bikes at the gym but shied away from spinning classes cuz I don't like the idea of someone yelling at me to motivate me. spotted 2 new units that intrigued me cuz they have a different form factor (low to the ground & leaning forward posture like a road bike) & appear to have large video screens! hopefully they are not TV channels but rather videos that correspond to the rider's actions?

anyone use something like this? I tried to remember the brand but that was yesterday ... so ummm ... not so much today
Old 12-06-16, 12:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
turns out it is a Star Trac Espinner

the video image was just an actor riding the thing. once I got going, the level adjustment didn't work so I bailed after 5 minutes & went to a regular stationary bike. scratching my head why it would cost $5,000.00. turns out resistance is set using the knob on the flywheel.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-06-16 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 02:30 PM
Xherion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is one at the gym I used to go to. It's just a slightly jazzed up spinner bike. It's a bit nicer than your standard Spinning bike since it has a HR monitor, ability to watch TV, a headphone jack and a fan, but at the end of the day, it's still a stationary bike. The gym I used to go to also had an Expresso Bike, which is closer to Zwift since the bike had a TV screen and virtual course powered by the power you put it. It was actually very similar to Zwift, except the bike actually had gear buttons on the handlebar. It was the upright model though, so it wasn't anything like a road bike. It was pretty neat though and I thought well ahead of the time (it predated Zwift).

I prefer using a real road bike on a smart trainer on Zwift though.
Old 12-07-16, 02:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been seeing the ads for Peloton stationary bikes and it's sort of confused me that their workouts are watching some lady ride her own stationary bike and yell at you, rather than a nice bike ride.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-18-24, 12:15 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
It does not surprise me at all that an interactive spin device would use a stationary instructor who can be filmed in a studio vs a live action 'ride' video involving multiple cameras and technicians and vehicles and and and. Just not going to happen until AI steps up it's game so all that stuff can be done in house. I also don't find it surprising that an exercise bike in a commercial gym uses a dumb screen vs something interactive like Peleton, which would clobber demand for the in-house spin classes. If I was the Spin instructor at a gym like that I'd be looking for another client.
Old 03-18-24, 07:13 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Closing this Zombie thread.