Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problem with Bontrager Charger floor pump

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 11:23 AM
Londonmod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there. I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what's going on and how I can fix it. Let's see!

I got my Bontrager floor pump out the other day to use it after a few years of it being in storage (dry, warm storage), and I immediately had problems. The plunger was stuck in the down position for some reason. I finally got it free, but there was no pressure being created or air coming out when plunging. I opened it up and dumped a small pile of fine reddish material out which I think is rust. I guess the inside rusted and flaked off or something; it doesn't seem like that has happened from looking inside the tube, but I can't think of anything else it might be from. I looked at the inside of the tube, and the inside and the bottom looks fine, as far as I can see. The O ring looks to be in fine shape, but I can't figure out why there doesn't seem to be a seal being formed in between the O ring and the inner wall of the tube to build up any pressure. There's also no grease anywhere - shouldn't the inside be greased?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm planning on cleaning out the inside with acetone on a rag, and greasing the bottom of the plunger, but I'm not sure that will work. I also can't for the life of me find a central website for Bontrager to ask them about this directly. If needed, I'd rather get a replacement part to fix the existing pump than chuck the whole thing away.

I'd post photos, but I'm new here so I guess I'm not allowed just yet.
Old 07-10-22, 11:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'd suspect there is a check valve stuck open. Maybe from the dust or rust that was in it. Take it apart again and look to see what lets the air into the cylinder when you pull up on the handle. Sometimes it is a valve or just a flap on the piston or sometimes in the base of the cylinder.

Should it be lubed or greased? I'd think so, but the last floor pump I had to take apart used a leather cup to seal the piston. Don't know what is inside my < $10 Zefal I've had since before 2008.

Once you get it working, you should use it more often.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-10-22 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-11-22, 10:22 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Londonmod
Hi there. I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what's going on and how I can fix it. Let's see!

I got my Bontrager floor pump out the other day to use it after a few years of it being in storage (dry, warm storage), and I immediately had problems. The plunger was stuck in the down position for some reason. I finally got it free, but there was no pressure being created or air coming out when plunging. I opened it up and dumped a small pile of fine reddish material out which I think is rust. I guess the inside rusted and flaked off or something; it doesn't seem like that has happened from looking inside the tube, but I can't think of anything else it might be from. I looked at the inside of the tube, and the inside and the bottom looks fine, as far as I can see. The O ring looks to be in fine shape, but I can't figure out why there doesn't seem to be a seal being formed in between the O ring and the inner wall of the tube to build up any pressure. There's also no grease anywhere - shouldn't the inside be greased?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm planning on cleaning out the inside with acetone on a rag, and greasing the bottom of the plunger, but I'm not sure that will work. I also can't for the life of me find a central website for Bontrager to ask them about this directly. If needed, I'd rather get a replacement part to fix the existing pump than chuck the whole thing away.

I'd post photos, but I'm new here so I guess I'm not allowed just yet.
Squirt everything with a silicone lube (won't attack rubber or leather) and maybe a thin layer of grease on the inside of the plunger tube. Just keep working things and the pump will likely free up.
Old 07-11-22, 01:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If the rust ate through the check valve spring, you're likely out of luck.
Old 01-13-24, 09:47 AM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If the rust ate through the check valve spring, you're likely out of luck.
do you know where the check valve spring is on this model? Have a backflow issue while pumping on mine.

follow up: disassembled it, the o'ring the check valve seats on actually blew past the check valve and was between the piston and the check valve.

Last edited by brewerkz; 01-14-24 at 10:12 AM.