Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steepest hill that you frequent

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-23, 06:00 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Curious what hills that some of you here routinely encounter. The toughest ones that I occasionally climb around Raleigh are 8-10 degrees, and most rides, I don't see those. But I travel to another state a few times a year and bring my bike. There's one that I go up maybe 3-4 times a year, and today I noticed that it peaks at 16 degrees on my Garmin. It's not in the mountains, just a tough climb in the Southern piedmont. Always look forward to it until I'm actually on it, then can't wait for it to end. These kinds of climbs might not be unusual in the mountains.
Old 07-29-23, 08:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Up to my house in Asheville, the most direct route has a short face of 25%. Most of the climbing on the Blue Ridge Parkway tops out around 8%, but can be quite long. A number of the climbs up to the Parkway can be quite steep with double digit sections.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-29-23, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Most average days see climbs between 5-11% There are two climbs within 2 mile of my house range from 14-16%. Those two are 1.25 and 3/4s miles to the top. I only hit the later two when I feel super motivated/masochistic.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-30-23, 05:22 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I don't have any "routine" routes. There's so many good rural, smooth road, very low traffic, scenic areas within easy driving distance.

With modern lower gearing, my retired riding group doesn't shy away from 15% grades within longer climbs. But the ones we ride are mostly short, maybe 50-100 feet elevation gain. A 200 foot 15-18% climb would be difficult.

Doing "steep for me" hills on a regular basis is very helpful. Pacing is critical.

Years ago, an 8% to 10% 300 foot high climb would be avoided on many club rides. Now my group includes these routinely. I usually draw routes to climb the steep side, then downhill on the long, shallow side. No braking needed, yeah! (in cold winter temperatures, do that hill in reverse. Long downhills are cold.)

Routes
These scenic rides are often close to 60 feet per mile, 45-55 miles in the summer, shorter in cold weather. Hilly areas are the quietest and most scenic.

A recent route. I only needed to stand on the hill near mile 10, topping out around 12% or so. The rest were mostly below 8%-9%.

~~~
A 45 minute drive, but so nice. The first 400 foot climb hits 11% near the top, but is mostly 5-7%.
Three different 3-mile-long, shallow downhills on good roads, no traffic -- bliss!

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-30-23 at 05:42 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 07-30-23, 05:38 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
There is a climb nearby that is 14% that I do 3-4 times per week and it is a bit of a chore but it is the best access to some really nice, deserted roads. I hate climbs over that gradient. 8-10% is comfortable
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-30-23, 07:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
About 20% max, with a couple of grades. One is ~35-40ft elevation gain in under 200ft, roughly a 18-20% grade; the other, a somewhat steeper but shorter one, approaching 25% grade. Living on a ridge, there's no real way to avoid it, no matter from which direction I approach it.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-30-23, 08:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
We don't have long climbs, usually under a mile, but plenty of them. Flats along creeks, climb to the ridge then descend and repeat. Or ride the ridge awhile then descend and repeat. 40ish miles will have 2500ish elevation. A few of the worst climbs have short sections of 20%. These cause me much anxiety as I can feel the front wheel getting light but I'm going so slowly (2 mph) that I'm afraid to change position. Having become old and fat, I'm a poor climber. Looking at Strava, KOMs are often half or one third my time. Two of my three routes to return home have short sections of 19%. The third is moderate but adds two miles. Guess which I generally choose....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-30-23, 11:22 AM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
WA few of the worst climbs have short sections of 20%. These cause me much anxiety as I can feel the front wheel getting light but I'm going so slowly (2 mph) that I'm afraid to change position.
Reminds of an old football coach's quip, "If you were running any slower you'd be stopped.'' ...

Once I get down to 2 mph, I'm going to be very cognizant of the possibility of hitting 0 mph and then making sure I can get out of my pedals before tipping over!
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 07-30-23, 11:40 AM
CoogansBluff

From the same point in the road but looking both ways, here's a glimpse of the hill that hits 16 degrees. I can only imagine what 20+ degrees looks and feels like.

Old 07-30-23, 12:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Long Island, NY and south shore at that, biggest hill is maybe 15 ft. bridge over the local highways. Makes it hard to train for any origanized ride that might have hills.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-30-23, 12:20 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I have a 33% dead end street by my house and I have a 25% residential street I use to stress test my bikes (to check for any BB creaking, drivetrain issues, etc.) Short punchy climbs aren't an issue for me, it's those long grinders that gradually get steeper towards the end of the climb that gets my heart pumping.
Old 07-30-23, 01:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I could not possibly ride 33% even at 2 mph. I expect there is some skill involved as well as fitness, keeping both wheels on the road.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-30-23, 05:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Whatever route I pull up on Rouvy. I have nothing here more than 100 ft and they are bridges, so Rouvy it is. I did one the other day that had sections of 18% which was stupid steep and hurt my legs. Took me a while to make it to the top of that climb.

Old 07-31-23, 03:38 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
last stretch up to the place has a little section at the top going through a curve that seems like the upper teens for approx 20 pedal strokes out of the saddle. the uphill .2 mile is in the 13% range. it's substantial enough i can count on adding 150 el gain at the end of the ride but also dissuades me from tackling an extra climb or two enroute so that i can get home without clipping out/stopping/paperboying on that last climb.
Old 07-31-23, 04:35 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
It's "flat" around my house. But there is no way to get in or out of my neighborhood without a 10-15% short grade, one hits 18% for a short section...

The dead flat canal MUP I ride has 3 short 8-10% climbs in each direction - these little blips catch the Sunday riders off guard!!...

These small hills are not good for working on a climbing rhythm or steady pace, and often hit you pretty hard if you are hammering on the flats. I use them to do full gas sprints once a week or so...
Old 07-31-23, 05:54 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
N/A around here. It's mostly rolling terrain, with the occasional 5-7% hump of less than a mile. There are a couple of places with double digit grade, but it's a couple of hundred feet or so. When I do my long ride with the slower group, I pick a gear and leave it there all day, I find the spinning most of the time with the occassional grind works for me.
Old 07-31-23, 06:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Toughest hills around here are 15% and even then only for 1/4 mile or so. I imagine some of them may have very brief pitches up to 18% but that's just for a few pedalstrokes.

Anything tougher than that, I am going to get off and walk. That happened once to me, Smuggler's Notch (Vermont) heading North, I don't know what its pitch was but am guessing maybe 20%?

I much prefer a hill in the 8-10% range, that is sustainable.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-31-23, 07:05 AM
RJC1811

Bikes: Giant Defy 1, Univega Viva Sport

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Rolling hills in my area everywhere. I can’t do even a short ride without hitting 8-10%. My street has a short 10-11% section and I live on top of a larger hill so the end of my rides are always a climb. I sometimes do intervals on my street and climb it over and over. I usually do that if it really windy or threatening rain. I live near a glacier formed lake so all the hills coming up from the lake are steep. The street coming up from the lake closest to me is a great workout but I have to be in the mood for it. It starts with a short rise to scrub off any speed you carried from the lakefront. Then you get a short false flat and then hit the wall, it immediately goes to 8% and gradually gets steeper topping at15%. The crest seems to go on forever but you finally get a short 1-2% downhill to catch your breath. Then the long climb to the top starts at 5-6% but hits 10% at the top, very cruel. In total it’s only .77 miles long but I’m slow and old so it kicks my butt. There’s steeper roads around but I just don’t have the power to climb them. There’s a century ride in the area that features 10K of climbing, they do all the toughest climbs.
Likes For RJC1811:
Old 07-31-23, 07:08 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I live near the Chesapeake Bay, so we have to drive about 90-minutes to the Blue Ridge before we get any big, sustained climbs. Still, the Western Shore of the Bay is surprisingly hilly given that it's technically in the coastal plain. Lots of short but steep punchers. You can quickly go from sea level to 150-180 feet above. The steepest on my regular route tops out at 15%. It's only about 200 meters in length, but it will rubberize your legs if you do that for repeats. Of course, none of this means anything to you folks who ride out west.
Old 07-31-23, 07:27 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Can't get more "frequent" than every time I go out on a ride: There's a ~100 meter stretch of road from the driveway of my development to the nearest main road that is 12%.
Every. Single. Day.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-31-23, 07:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

It's cool to read about all the different local conditions. If I had my 50s and 60s to do over, I'd make an effort to ride in more places.
Old 07-31-23, 08:17 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
I live near the Chesapeake Bay, so we have to drive about 90-minutes to the Blue Ridge before we get any big, sustained climbs. Still, the Western Shore of the Bay is surprisingly hilly given that it's technically in the coastal plain. Lots of short but steep punchers. You can quickly go from sea level to 150-180 feet above. The steepest on my regular route tops out at 15%. It's only about 200 meters in length, but it will rubberize your legs if you do that for repeats. Of course, none of this means anything to you folks who ride out west.
Yeah, I'm just south of you and ride in Charles and St Marys mostly, but do go up that way once in a while. it's annoying not to have flat roads for early season miles, nor hills to train on later on. It's all like a roller coaster ride, plus nearly no one can fish a lick...
Old 07-31-23, 09:51 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
most of my preferred routes go up hills/mountains ranging from 800 feet to 2500 feet, but i like mixing in long flat/fast stretches to dilute the pain, resulting in around 75 feet per mile overall.

most of our mountain roads are graded to not exceed 12% often with averages more in the 6% range. according to various sources the steepest 1/4 mile i’ve regularly ridden is 12%, which i don’t really enjoy. can’t make good power at that cadence in my 36-34 small-big. in the city proper, there are lots of 20% roads for a few blocks at a time, but i don’t ride up them on an unpowered bike. the intersection we live it has an 18% going down and 20% going up on one street, but the other street is flat-ish.

the longest continuous climb readily available to me (riding distance from front door) is mt diablo, which i enjoyed a lot.

Old 07-31-23, 10:16 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
I rather go down pig farm. Everytime I get to it it's the heat of the day with no breeze. Lots of other hills around here but this one seems to stick out. Nice run out into Martinez though.
https://ridechronicles.com/2015/01/2...hambra-valley/
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-31-23, 11:46 AM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I live a little over a mile away from my parents, and there's a nasty 20% stretch when I ride over there. Fortunately it's pretty short but when I was in high school, I didn't have the strength and/or gearing to make it up without stopping to walk it. Some years after college when I moved back to the area and started riding again, I got a bike with a triple and was pretty pleased the first time I was able to make it up without stopping.

A couple of years ago I rented a bike while visiting Pittsburgh, and hit some of the Dirty Dozen hills, including Canton Ave (cobbled!). Definitely some seriously steep and nasty stuff around there; good times though.
Likes For jfh:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.