Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

TREK Cruiser 1 Step-Over - reliability and rear cargo mounting solutions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 01:03 PM
primuspaul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone who has used this comment? Looking for a commuter bike and after digging through the low quality bikes with lots of specs, after advice on here, it might be better to go for a bottom-tier, but good brand name bike.
  1. Can someone explain the brakes? (Front: alloy linear pull, rear: coaster brake) - are these not the typical wire-operated rim pad brakes?
  2. What are rear cargo mounting solutions? Am I basically limited to ones that attach to the seat post?
Old 08-29-23, 01:40 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
1. It has coaster brakes.

2. It is hard to see on pictures online if the rear dropouts have holes for racks.
I’d assume they at least have holes for fenders that maybe can be used for both. Or p-clamps.

3. You didn’t ask but… how far are you commuting? Is it relatively flat? Do you need the feet forward thing, as in do you have some anatomical issue that prevents you from riding a normal bike?

Old 08-29-23, 01:50 PM
primuspaul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
1. It has coaster brakes.
In the rear I assume. In the front it has ordinary wire pulled brakes? Or I guess there are no front brakes.
2. It is hard to see on pictures online if the rear dropouts have holes for racks.
I’d assume they at least have holes for fenders that maybe can be used for both. Or p-clamps.

3. You didn’t ask but… how far are you commuting? Is it relatively flat? Do you need the feet forward thing, as in do you have some anatomical issue that prevents you from riding a normal bike?
Commuting under 2 miles each way. Some road stretches are brand new, others are cracked, but usually I can find relatively decent terrain. There's a steep incline and decline in the middle of the route (I get a workout just walking up it!).

I have a questionable back. Prefer to not be hunched over. What is the "feet forward thing?"

Last edited by primuspaul; 08-29-23 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 02:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...oot-bikes.html

Also known as flat foot. I think it’s mostly hype for people who don’t know how to start off on a bike, but whatever.

The bike you posted is both a flat foot frame and a single speed. Double bad for hills.

2 miles? My city is flat, but I can do that in ~10minutes on a single speed beach cruiser with MTB seat and MTB riser bars. For 2 miles you might be overthinking it.
Old 08-30-23, 05:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Have you looked at the Trek Loft? It seems more like what you're looking for, a city/commuter bike; the 7D is even on sale. I like that you have your choice of frames (diamond or step-through), and gearing (7-speed internal hub or 7-speed derailleur). They come with swept bars, sprung saddle, and fenders, with mounts for a rear rack on the D and the actual rack on the i. It's a better bike for the buck than the cruiser will ever be.

And ignore @SkinGriz; the best thing about a short commute is making it longer.
Old 08-30-23, 08:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think you might have a hard time with a rear rack on that bike because the seat is so low and hanging so far over the rear wheel. But not impossible. Paperboy baskets or a front basket might work better.

A normal bike would put you up over the pedals. The frame has the seat very low and back and the crank pretty far forward like a cruiser motorcycle so you can put your feet on the ground from the saddle but also get full leg extension. Then the front wheel is also thrown way out chopper-style to keep your toes off it. This is an Electra brand specialty, all their bikes do this. Here's the Trek and another beach cruiser, from Priority

Genesis 49:16-17