Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New wheels- 35mm carbon BTLOS

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 11:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts

Figured I would try some carbon wheels with a more modern width and lighten things up at the same time.

Last 3.5 years I've used handbuilt h+son hydra rims mated to 28f/32r hole Bitex hubs with Sapim jbend butted spokes weighing 1817g actual weight.
Just received handbuilt BTLOS 35mm deep 29mm wide hooked carbon rims without spoke holes mated to 24f/28r hole Bitex hubs with Pillar bladed straight pull spokes weighing 1473g actual weight.

The wheels came with 2 extra spokes, the rims are asymetric for more even spoke tension, the lack of spoke holes means no tubeless tape is needed, I requested 2 drain holes be drilled for each wheel, and in the end I save 3/4 of a pound of weight.
Price was $674 shipped to me.
It took 18 days from order to delivery as the wheels are not pre-built. Once shipped it took 3 days from China to my door.

I looked at a ton of wheels between November and the end of December since seemingly everything has been on sale, but I never found an option that had the specs, weight, and price close to these. And with years of reviews on Paceline and elsewhere, I am not concerned about the brand.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-27-24 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-27-24, 08:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Last 3.5 years I've used handbuilt h+son hydra rims mated to 32f/28r hole Bitex hubs with Sapim jbend butted spokes weighing 1817g actual weight.
Tiny issue, but thought I would mention the part in bold font. That's surely a typo.

Can you feel a difference with the new wheels? A little over a year ago, I switched from a good alloy wheelset (same Hydra rims) to a good cf-rimmed wheelset (Roval). Weight loss was about the same as yours. Physics says that the speed difference will still be trivial, virtually unnoticeable, and that is my impression, too. Still, I wanted a second wheelset for the bike, and good cf-rimmed wheels are so reasonable that there's little reason not to choose them. And the solid rim bed (no spoke holes) is a definite upgrade for you.
Old 01-27-24, 07:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Tiny issue, but thought I would mention the part in bold font. That's surely a typo.

Can you feel a difference with the new wheels? A little over a year ago, I switched from a good alloy wheelset (same Hydra rims) to a good cf-rimmed wheelset (Roval). Weight loss was about the same as yours. Physics says that the speed difference will still be trivial, virtually unnoticeable, and that is my impression, too. Still, I wanted a second wheelset for the bike, and good cf-rimmed wheels are so reasonable that there's little reason not to choose them. And the solid rim bed (no spoke holes) is a definite upgrade for you.
typo? Don't you full weight over the front wheel is the new aero?!
Yup, typo for sure- changed, good call out.

I have only zwifted on so far, and thars just the front wheel, but I can confidently say I am the same speed with a carbon front wheel and gravel tire as I am with my road front wheel and tire.

Looking forward to getting them out for some miles. The deluge of snow we were hit with earlirt in the month is slowly melting, so fingers crossed I get out soon.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-29-24, 07:11 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I just put a set of BTLOS wheels on my gravel bike too. I went in a bit different direction and got 22mm IW rims giving a weight of 1155g for the wheelset. We'll see how long they last, but I'm loving them for now. Changing to them (along with lighter cassette, rotors and tires) from the stock alloy wheels lightened the bike up by more than 2 lb.
Old 03-01-24, 11:04 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Awesome. I love the way carbon wheels feel on my CX/Gravel bike. I think the weight savings compared to my alloy wheels is around 600g and because most of that is in the outside part of the wheel it definitely changes how the bike rides.

They accelerate faster and the bike feels a lot more responsive, quicker to change direction, easier to bunny hop, etc.

I still ride my alloy wheels as I swap between road and gravel tires sometimes and don’t wait to move tires, but I like the carbon wheels so much better that I change the tires on them depending on season (so in winter I have road tires on the alloys, and in summer I have road tire on the carbons). I probably should just get a second set of carbon wheels.