Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Help! BOILS! (FURUNCLES!!!!!!!) is it bike related?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 05:45 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Yes, its not the nicest thing to forum about but Ive had it!

Heres the story, about 6 months ago, I crashed a Mountainbike. Nothing major. Had 2 small scrapes from landing on a tree root. Well, a few days later, 2 boils came up in the sores. They got hard, red, then the white heads came, they burst and went away. Total was 2 weeks start to finish. First ones Ive ever had EVER.

About a month later. I got another...Almost the same area, more around to my right butt cheek. On the same day, another popped up on my forearm. I said screw it and went to the doctor.

He gave me some antibiotics and it went away but to be honest, not as fast as I thought it would.

To rush the story up a little, Ive had 2 more and the latest came up 3 days ago and its right where my saddle hits my butt and oh my lord, it is unbearable. I just tried to ride and made it 11 miles and once almost called my wife. I did make it home but I am done riding for at least 7 days and that sucks.

Please note that every boil Ive had has been on on my right thy under were my cycling shorts are and now the newest (last 2) have moved closer onto my butt with the one that active now right were the saddle is.

I have no idea why the one on the arm was were was.

Im clean, shower daily, wash riding gear after EVERY ride no matter if its a recovery. Im 37 and healthy. Ive had bloodwork recently and all is ok. Sugar is good, cholesterol is in check, BP runs 110/60 and resting heartrate is 50. 185 pounds. No alcohol, drugs or tobacco.

I swear, I am tired of going to Doctors.

HAS ANYONE HAD A BOIL or Furuncle?

Thanks to all that reply.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 07-22-10, 05:52 PM
nancyj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daughter has a condition called hidradentis suppurativa that causes this problem. They are in areas with aprocrine sweat (groin, armpits) and are wicked. But I don't know if it is related or not to what you have.......I would see a dermatologist though.

Did he put you on long term minocycline - usually when you get those (even without) I think it is like a 90 day script but minocyline makes you sun-sensitive (it is a form of tetracycline).
Old 07-22-10, 07:22 PM
Joemess
Space for rent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say that I feel your pain but that would be.... well awkward.

However, I just finished dealing with what you are going through. I had a boil right where the saddle hits and I agree that it was unbearable. I used heat to hopefully hurry things along. (microwaved a damp/wet rag in a ziptop bag and applied to spot) In the end I ended up taking care of it myself as I really did not want to go to the doc for this one. if you decide to go this route, be sure to use plenty of antiseptic to keep the area clean.

Now, how do you prevent these cursed things.... lube up. Some folks like Chammybuttr, and I used it for a while, however I am now a big fan of bag balm. Its lanolin and seems to work better.

Good luck.... you ever if you are getting these at an increased rate, seeing a dermatologist may not be a bad idea.