Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped axle/nut threads

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 08:47 AM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

So I was readjusting the chain tension by pulling the wheel back in the rear fork ends, and when tightening things up I guess I overtorqued the left axle nut and stripped the threads. I can only get it a little past finger-tight now, and any additional torque just slips the nut back again.

Am I safe in assuming the nuts are intentionally made to be softer than the axle, and therefore I should be able to just replace the nut? This is a Sturmey-Archer X-RD5 hub and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to break down and rebuild the hub with a new axle...
Old 04-28-14, 09:06 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
SA nuts are softer than the axle and the combination of this and the interrupted thread is what makes them easier to strip... a good shop should stock replacement nuts and it is always a good idea to carry a spare.

They are 13/32 and 26tpi so aren't something you will find at the hardware store.

Wiring it under the saddle is always a good place to keep it.

You can use the drive side guide nuts in place of the stock nut if you can't find a non drive spare.

Using a really good anti rotation washer, making sure the nut is not over-torqued, and making sure the threads have a little light oil goes a long way to keeping the nut from stripping.
Old 04-28-14, 09:23 AM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, glad to hear the axle isn't likely to be stripped. I've been good about keeping the threads greased, but I guess I'm just learning the practical way about appropriate torque levels. I do have a torque wrench but my 15mm socket doesn't fit over the dome nuts.
Old 04-28-14, 09:25 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
Thanks, glad to hear the axle isn't likely to be stripped. I've been good about keeping the threads greased, but I guess I'm just learning the practical way about appropriate torque levels. I do have a torque wrench but my 15mm socket doesn't fit over the dome nuts.
That is why you need a small English spanner... they come in right and left hand versions so make sure you get the proper one for your hand.