Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Double check my BB swap please

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Double check my BB swap please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 06:52 AM
tflt
Dog bait....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Update/Success- Double check my BB swap please

Hi, I'm intending to replace the Ultegra crank (FC-6500) and octalink BB with a compact 105 crank (FC-R7000) 50/34 and BBR60 bottom bracket.
I'll use Park tool BBT-22 to remove the octalink, and Shimano TL-FC37 to install the Hollowtech BBR60.

I'm working on a 2001 Lemond Zurich, which already has a CS M760 11-32 cassette paired with a Deore XT rear DR. The front chain rings are currently 52/39, shifted by clamp on FD-6500. all shifted nicely by the original Ultegra shifters.
The BB shell is 1.37, 68 MM.

Am I missing or overlooking anything? It seems that adding the 11 speed crank shouldn't upset the 9 speed cart too much.

I'm doing this because I've moved to an area of frequent and steep hills, and live at the top of a fairly brutal 1 mile hill, so all my rides need to take that into account. I'm fairly fit for for 52, and love my bike that I purchased new. My rides are generally 30-35 miles, several times a week, but the final climb is enough to make me question getting on the bike some days.
I imagine I'll be shortening the chain a little also.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by tflt; 06-04-21 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-24-21, 07:25 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Well you also need to specify the spindle length for that new BB.
Old 05-24-21, 07:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
Well you also need to specify the spindle length for that new BB.
No he doesn't. The FC-R7000 is a Hollowtech II crank and has the spindle built into the drive side crank arm and it's length is fixed. It will pair just fine with the BBR60 bottom bracket in a 68mm bb shell.

OP: your current 9-speed chain will probably be too wide for the new chainring spacing and you will probably need a new 11-speed, or at worst, a 10-speed chain. They will work with a 9-speed cassette but I hope your cassette is not worn enough to skip with the new chain. Also, I don't know if the 6500-series left shifter and front derailleur will shift adequately over the new crank. Try them and see but don't be surprised if it's a bit sluggish.
Old 05-24-21, 08:37 AM
tflt
Dog bait....

Originally Posted by HillRider
No he doesn't. The FC-R7000 is a Hollowtech II crank and has the spindle built into the drive side crank arm and it's length is fixed. It will pair just fine with the BBR60 bottom bracket in a 68mm bb shell.

OP: your current 9-speed chain will probably be too wide for the new chainring spacing and you will probably need a new 11-speed, or at worst, a 10-speed chain. They will work with a 9-speed cassette but I hope your cassette is not worn enough to skip with the new chain. Also, I don't know if the 6500-series left shifter and front derailleur will shift adequately over the new crank. Try them and see but don't be surprised if it's a bit sluggish.
Thanks for the reply.
The cassette is in good shape, I was wondering about the fixed length spindle and what it bottoms out against to prevent side play through the BB. Also if it would be much different regarding chain alignment and position compared to the octa/ultegra combination. I've always used HG-92 chains with this set up. If I run into a chain width issue, could you recommend a chain, or should I just stick with the Shimano components. I was fairly active building and riding in the 90's, and have kept on riding, but am out of the loop on component changes and compatibility.
I'm open to suggestions about a better way to end up with a compact crank, I could go with an old style square taper cartridge BB and different crank if that made for an easier installation. In the end I just want add miles and not worry about keeping enough fuel in the tank for the final climb home.

Patrick
Old 05-24-21, 10:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Hollowtech II crank spindles are inserted through the bottom bracket's external bearing cups. Then the non drive-side crank arm is slipped over matching keyed splines at the end of the spindle and a plastic "bolt" is threaded into the end of the spindle and snugged down to remove all play. Finally two pinch bolts on the nds crankarm are alternately tightened to about 100 inch-pounds to keep the assembly together. The chainline is self-defining and these cranks are exceptionally easy to install. Shimano's tech web site explains this in great detail.

I've used Shimano and KMC chains and any of their 10 or 11-speed models should be just fine. KMC chains use a quick-link to join them and some Shimano 11-speed chains do to. These are very convenient.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-04-21, 07:22 PM
tflt
Dog bait....

Update/success

I swapped out the octalink BB for BBR60, installed Shimano 105 Fc-R7000 Crankset (11 speed). Lowered the 9 speed Ultergra FD into spec, installed an Ultegra 10 speed chain (CN-6701).

Everything works very well together, I took it for a test ride on the hills and feel an improvement, thanks HillRider!
While I was waiting for my parts to arrive I took a last ride and caught a small but sharp bump with my back wheel and had one of the spokes crack the drive side hub flange.... The Rolf wheels served me well for 20 years with nothing but tubes and tires replaced, never trued, never needed to be. I ordered a CC Shimano 105 R7000 wheelset with Easton R90 SL rims, and for now have stolen the rear wheel of my son's bike. Hopefully they arrive true and round!