Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fastest 35mm or 38mm tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fastest 35mm or 38mm tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 02:51 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I commute on RH extralights in 38
Thanks. Do you run them tubeless? If so, what's your experience with losing pressure and flats?
Old 06-16-23, 06:02 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My 32mm nominal Continental GP5000 S TR measure 34.5mm actual on my 25mm internal width rims. They are much faster, much more durable, and a much better tire than the RH tires. I would not mount a RH tubeless for safety reasons but with a latex tube, they are smooth and comfortable and reasonably fast.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-16-23, 06:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Another tire that’s slightly undersized from what the OP requested but which should be pretty wicked on the road is the Ultradynamico Cava Race 33.??. It’s got a super-supple casing which I’d run with TPU rather than monkeying around with tubeless, and it’s also superlight at a claimed 295g.

I have some of their Mars Race rubber, and they strike me as quite nice for knobbies, so I’d not hesitate to try the Cava Race were I looking for a light, wide, fast road tire.
Old 06-16-23, 06:53 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
The local bike store stocks Panaracer Gravel King SS ("semi slick") and says they are popular. The label says 410 grams in 38mm.
I considered these for replacing my Compass Barlow Pass ultra light that had a bulge. But for mostly road riding, it probably doesn't corner or roll quite as well as a pure slick. It would be better on unpaved roads with a somewhat loose surface.

They also had Gravel King Slick in stock, and these looked good. Lightweight, seemed to be very flexible. Minimal file tread.
Much less expensive than my Compass / RH was.
I'm going to replace the failed tire with one of these.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 06-17-23, 12:37 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Thanks. Do you run them tubeless? If so, what's your experience with losing pressure and flats?
I don’t run them tubeless
Old 06-17-23, 10:12 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
The local bike store stocks Panaracer Gravel King SS ("semi slick") and says they are popular. The label says 410 grams in 38mm.
I considered these for replacing my Compass Barlow Pass ultra light that had a bulge. But for mostly road riding, it probably doesn't corner or roll quite as well as a pure slick. It would be better on unpaved roads with a somewhat loose surface.

They also had Gravel King Slick in stock, and these looked good. Lightweight, seemed to be very flexible. Minimal file tread.
Much less expensive than my Compass / RH was.
I'm going to replace the failed tire with one of these.
GK slick is basically a road tire - relatively lightweight and rolls well - but not very puncture resistant (***)

GK SS has side ‘knobs’ so it is more versatile (than GK slick) - weighs a tad more than the GK slick - and is more puncture resistant

the last pair of 38 mm GK SS I purchased were around 415 g (each) ... the ‘pansy blue’ version

*** 32 mm GK slick might be an exception due to tread thickness / construction
Old 06-17-23, 10:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’m not the one you asked, but in the ~6 years I’ve been running Barlow Pass extralights (1.5 of that tubeless) I have never gotten a flat. The Extralights have paper thin sidewalls, but the tread itself is ~3mm thick.

I may have already piped in with my tubeless experience, but they started leaking a lot of air after about a year and the beads became loose on the rim.
Old 06-17-23, 08:39 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Teravail Rampart 38's based on some reviews I read. Hope they don't suck! LOL
Old 06-18-23, 10:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Teravail Rampart 38's based on some reviews I read. Hope they don't suck! LOL
I hope they don’t shoot you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-26-23, 04:49 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I went with the Panaracer GK SS. I wanted a bit more protection when I go off road and weighing in at 250 (solid steel) I think I need all the help I can get. They roll good and they are so much more quieter on my trainer. I mounted them tubleess and had to give them a little burst of air to snap them into the groove, very easy. Time will tell in the long run. Much appreciation to all the input!

Last edited by Breadfan; 07-26-23 at 04:59 AM.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 07-26-23, 05:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I went with the Panaracer GK SS. I wanted a bit more protection when I go off road and weighing in at 250 (solid steel) I think I need all the help I can get. They roll good and they are so much more quieter on my trainer. I mounted them tubleess and had to give them a little burst of air to snap them into the groove, very easy. Time will tell in the long run. Much appreciation to all the input!
Late to the party but for future reference another good 35 mm option is Pirelli Cinturato Velo. They are very puncture resistant, reasonably fast rolling and very grippy in all conditions. They are designed to run both tubeless or tubed.
Old 07-26-23, 07:18 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I like the GK Semi Slick and have worn out multiple sets now between the girl & me. We run 38’s, not the plus version, and have off road toured and raced on them for 3+ years. We run them TL with Stan’s, 35-40 psi and they’ve been trouble free. I was previously a fan of Paselas for gravel but the GK’s feel faster and lighter plus they’re TL ready. My experience with BonJons was short lived. The sidewalls just didn’t hold up to rocky trails and midwest gravel. I ran them with tubes and repaired sidewalls several times before giving up and learning an expensive lesson. They might be fine for pea gravel but worthless for adventures in chunky style. The Gravelkings in comparison seem bulletproof.
Old 07-26-23, 11:28 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
I like the GK Semi Slick and have worn out multiple sets now between the girl & me. We run 38’s, not the plus version, and have off road toured and raced on them for 3+ years. We run them TL with Stan’s, 35-40 psi and they’ve been trouble free. I was previously a fan of Paselas for gravel but the GK’s feel faster and lighter plus they’re TL ready. My experience with BonJons was short lived. The sidewalls just didn’t hold up to rocky trails and midwest gravel. I ran them with tubes and repaired sidewalls several times before giving up and learning an expensive lesson. They might be fine for pea gravel but worthless for adventures in chunky style. The Gravelkings in comparison seem bulletproof.
My worries about the Rene Herse was also the same, because the weight I apply to them and the terrain. I think I made a good decision. The Rene Herse tires may be faster but what I don't know won't hurt me. These tires are plenty fast enough for what I do.
Old 07-28-23, 09:12 AM
BJack312

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I'm a big guy like you, and have put a lot of miles on the GK SS tires (43mm), and I think you will be very happy with them.