Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How does a bicycle steer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: How does a bicycle steer?
Turning in the direction of travel
12.00%
Countersteering
28.00%
A little bit of both
30.00%
Other
30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How does a bicycle steer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 03:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
98% of the time I'm not consciously countersteering the motorcycle.
Yup, same as any activity you do often enough to become second nature. It becomes a subconscious response once learned.
Old 08-29-23, 04:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Countersteering is turning the direction of travel.
Countersteering is turn wheel right to lean left and vice versa. Not sure if that's what you are saying.
Old 08-29-23, 04:34 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by john m flores
Interesting video. Has anyone tried building a no-steer bicycle like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqXBA-sGHA
Yes a moto racer and track instructor. It was a long time ago. I can''t remember his name.I have one of his books and a VCR.
Old 08-29-23, 07:43 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
An entertaining video from Mike Boyd, while he attempts to ride a bike with a geared steerer that turns the wheel the opposite way of the handlebars.
The backwards bike

Minute Physics
How do Bikes Stay Up?
"Bicycles can ride themselves. Yes, once they are set in motion at a sufficient speed, bicycles can stay upright without any human intervention."
This interesting video explores the various inputs that affect a bike's steering.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-29-23 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 11:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Counter steering a CAR?? LOL hahahaha
In the car racing world, countersteer refers to the input you make.
Old 08-30-23, 03:13 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Countersteering is turn wheel right to lean left and vice versa. Not sure if that's what you are saying.
Originally Posted by urbanknight
In the car racing world, countersteer refers to the input you make.

Countersteering has a different meaning when applied to cars, as opposed to two-wheeled vehicles. It’s a different technique, done at different times, for different reasons, between two-wheel cycles and 4-wheelers

The confusion comes from that more people are familiar with the car term, and are trying to understand bicycle physics, using “car” as their frame of reference.

If you’ve done any basic motorcycle training; you’d have probably heard the phrase “Push Right, Go Right “ to initiate a turn. That’s where counter steering comes in to begin the whole progression of calculus-based physics that describes how a two-wheeled cycle goes around a corner.
For a typical motorcycle, going at normal road speeds, that “Push “ is only a couple of pounds of force; because a bicycle weighs 1/200 as a moto, the force needed is correspondingly small; grams, literally; and so fleeting as to get lost in the noise of tactile feedback of riding a bicycle.

On a moto, even after it’s become second nature, you still have to make those distinct inputs in order to “steer” the bike; on a bicycle, though, those inputs are nigh-on imperceptible, unless you’re really railing it; and then you still have to be aware of it.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-30-23, 04:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Ironfish653

The confusion comes from that more people are familiar with the car term, and are trying to understand bicycle physics, using “car” as their frame of reference.

Agreed, it’s a very poor analogy. Your post nailed it.

In UK motor racing we use the term “opposite lock” for car corrective steering input when the rear starts to slide out. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the dynamics of bicycle/motorbike countersteer to initiate a turn.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-30-23, 05:40 AM
bruce19

If you’ve done any basic motorcycle training; you’d have probably heard the phrase “Push Right, Go Right “ to initiate a turn. That’s where counter steering comes in to begin the whole progression of calculus-based physics that describes how a two-wheeled cycle goes around a corner.
For a typical motorcycle, going at normal road speeds, that “Push “ is only a couple of pounds of force; because a bicycle weighs 1/200 as a moto, the force needed is correspondingly small; grams, literally; and so fleeting as to get lost in the noise of tactile feedback of riding a bicycle.

On a moto, even after it’s become second nature, you still have to make those distinct inputs in order to “steer” the bike; on a bicycle, though, those inputs are nigh-on imperceptible, unless you’re really railing it; and then you still have to be aware of it.
As a former MSF Instructor I'd say this is a good description for 2-wheel inline vehicles.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-30-23, 07:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Countersteering has a different meaning when applied to cars, as opposed to two-wheeled vehicles. It’s a different technique, done at different times, for different reasons, between two-wheel cycles and 4-wheelers

Now we’re getting somewhere!

The rub here was posted way back up in reply #8; it’s not always a different technique between car and bike/moto. Put a bike/moto in a drift, and countersteering is done for the same reason it’s done in a car.

Ergo my point about semantics being the source of the confusion, and maybe if countersteering is just how a bike needs to be steered (at least above a certain speed), it should be called something other than countersteering.

Even though steering a boat with a tiller always requires countersteering- i.e. the tiller is turned opposite the direction of the turn— it’s not called countersteering, it’s just steering, because that’s how it has to work.

It strikes me as tidier to accept countersteering is just how bikes/motos have to be steered and to save the countersteering term for when it’s an actual technique addressing a handling situation, such as in a rear wheel skid-out or drift. That would harmonize the meaning of the term with the automotive world.

I know that’s not going to happen, but some form of distinction would save a lot of the silly misunderstandings that occur whenever the discussion is had.
Old 08-30-23, 08:08 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by chaadster

Even though steering a boat with a tiller always requires countersteering- i.e. the tiller is turned opposite the direction of the turn— it’s not called countersteering, it’s just steering, because that’s how it has to work.
The difference with 2-wheeled bikes is that most people don't realise that turns are initiated by initially turning the bars in the opposite direction to the turn (counter-steer) simply because it is unintuitive. Just calling it "steering" is not very useful in explaining how the process actually works.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-30-23, 08:26 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I'm curious if I am cheating the countersteering rule when I turn my bike in this fashion: I'm riding my little cruiser which has about 90% of the weight on the back wheel. I'm in a left turn, and to turn to the right I take the front wheel off the ground, and while leaning the other way I turn the wheel right and when it contacts the ground I'm now in a right turn.
Old 08-30-23, 08:31 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts

The rub here was posted way back up in reply #8; it’s not always a different technique between car and bike/moto. Put a bike/moto in a drift, and countersteering is done for the same reason it’s done in a car.

Ergo my point about semantics being the source of the confusion, and maybe if countersteering is just how a bike needs to be steered (at least above a certain speed), it should be called something other than countersteering.

It strikes me as tidier to accept countersteering is just how bikes/motos have to be steered and to save the countersteering term for when it’s an actual technique addressing a handling situation, such as in a rear wheel skid-out or drift. That would harmonize the meaning of the term with the automotive world.

I know that’s not going to happen, but some form of distinction would save a lot of the silly misunderstandings that occur whenever the discussion is had.
To be clear, post #8 was intended to be tongue in cheek - I (wrongly) assumed people discussing this topic understood that counter-steering to control a drift or power-slide on a motorcycle was different than counter-steering to initiate a balanced turn (on a motorcycle or bicycle).
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-30-23, 08:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The difference with 2-wheeled bikes is that most people don't realise that turns are initiated by initially turning the bars in the opposite direction to the turn (counter-steer) simply because it is unintuitive. Just calling it "steering" is not very useful in explaining how the process actually works.
Yes, true, and I don’t suggest using circular reasoning to explain it either.
Old 08-30-23, 10:58 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

The main source of confusion is that we're using the single term "Countersteering" to describe two different techniques, done for different reasons, at different times, between cars and two -wheel cycles. You've got the automotive version, also known in motorsport as "Opposite Lock" down solid, although it really doesn't apply to cycles, except, as you mentioned, a skid or drift situation; which very few cyclists, and road going motorcyclists encounter; so again, trying to describe the handling of a two-wheel cycle, using "car" as your reference.

One of the main differences between cars and cycles going around a turn, is that where a cars center of gravity is always between it's wheels, its very hard to roll over during a turn (on flat, dry pavement, without some outside interference)
A cycle (moto or velo) has to lean to the inside of a turn, to keep from turning over to the high -side (outside of the turn). Cyclists believe this is accomplished by simply shifting ones weight; motorcyclists know that it takes a distinct input to the bars to initiate the turn: Push Right, Turn Right; actually steers the front wheel to the left, and now the CG is to the right of the wheel track, so the bike starts to fall to the right. Cycles, particularly motorcycles, want to stand up and go straight. You actually have to steer against that, in order to hold the line on a sustained turn. Go in to a long, fast turn like a cloverleaf ramp, and you'll realize that you're having to hold that pressure against the inside grip, to keep the bike going around the turn. Basically you have to steer against the force trying to throw you off the outside of the corner.
Riding a motorcycle, you notice this much more, because while the forces and inputs involved aren't dramatically high, they are hundreds of times higher than what's required to affect a similar change in direction on a bicycle.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-30-23, 01:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The main source of confusion is that we're using the single term "Countersteering" to describe two different techniques, done for different reasons, at different times, between cars and two -wheel cycles. You've got the automotive version, also known in motorsport as "Opposite Lock" down solid, although it really doesn't apply to cycles, except, as you mentioned, a skid or drift situation; which very few cyclists, and road going motorcyclists encounter; so again, trying to describe the handling of a two-wheel cycle, using "car" as your reference.
I don't understand the purpose of creating a carve-out by saying few cyclists encounter countersteering as it's used in cars. It does not seem at all rare to me; it happens all the time in MTB, and nearly every kid goes through a skidding phase. And the fixie guys? C'mon...

Old 08-30-23, 05:20 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Countersteer to balance, steer to turn. Both are necessary.
Old 08-30-23, 05:22 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

I don't understand the purpose of creating a carve-out by saying few cyclists encounter countersteering as it's used in cars. It does not seem at all rare to me; it happens all the time in MTB, and nearly every kid goes through a skidding phase. And the fixie guys? C'mon...
Because it’s the same word, applied to two different techniques, done at different times, for different reasons.

The Car definition of countersteering, also known as Opposite Lock, or “Backing it in,” or “Getting Crossed Up” is what you do to correct or control a slide, drift, or oversteer condition, where your rear wheel(s) are to the outside of your line through the turn. Essentially, you’re pointing the front wheel(s) in your intended travel direction, because the rest of the vehicle is not.

The Moto/Velo description of countersteering -“Push Right, Go Right,” ie: initiating and controlling a leaning turn, on a two-wheeled, single-track vehicle by applying pressure to the end of the handlebar on the inside of the turn, happens every single time you make a turn above walking speed.

They are not the same thing, and I don’t use the term interchangeably.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 08-30-23 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-30-23, 05:25 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

https://youtube.com/shorts/ePusygscM...k8lht3MQsbIMof

Some are confusing counter steering with steering into a skid.
Counter steering is a small input-very slight pressure on the handlebars.
Steering into a skid is a much larger movement.
Old 08-30-23, 06:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Because it’s the same word, applied to two different techniques, done at different times, for different reasons.

The Car definition of countersteering, also known as Opposite Lock, or “Backing it in,” or “Getting Crossed Up” is what you do to correct or control a slide, drift, or oversteer condition, where your rear wheel(s) are to the outside of your line through the turn. Essentially, you’re pointing the front wheel(s) in your intended travel direction, because the rest of the vehicle is not.

The Moto/Velo description of countersteering -“Push Right, Go Right,” ie: initiating and controlling a leaning turn, on a two-wheeled, single-track vehicle by applying pressure to the end of the handlebar on the inside of the turn, happens every single time you make a turn above walking speed.

They are not the same thing, and I don’t use the term interchangeably.
I think you've gotten confused, because you seemed to understand before that your "car definition" above is also applied when cycling/moto. It's what's pictured upthread in post #8, it's what's shown in the video in post #90, and it's what you said happens in post #89 when you wrote, "You've got the automotive version, also known in motorsport as "Opposite Lock" down solid, although it really doesn't apply to cycles, except, as you mentioned, a skid or drift situation."
Old 08-30-23, 06:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
How does a steer bicycle?
Old 08-30-23, 07:22 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Originally Posted by Maelochs
How does a steer bicycle?
Moo.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-31-23, 07:05 AM
PeteHski

I think you've gotten confused, because you seemed to understand before that your "car definition" above is also applied when cycling/moto. It's what's pictured upthread in post #8, it's what's shown in the video in post #90, and it's what you said happens in post #89 when you wrote, "You've got the automotive version, also known in motorsport as "Opposite Lock" down solid, although it really doesn't apply to cycles, except, as you mentioned, a skid or drift situation."
You appear to be overly distracted with the skidding/sliding/drifting/oversteer process, which is simply not necessary in a discussion about how bicycles steer in an ordinary non-sliding turn.

Ironfish653 was simply pointing out (very clearly) that they are completely different scenarios. The only thing in common is that they both involve a steering input in the opposite direction to the turn (countersteering).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-31-23, 07:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by PeteHski
You appear to be overly distracted with the skidding/sliding/drifting/oversteer process, which is simply not necessary in a discussion about how bicycles steer in an ordinary non-sliding turn.
No need to move the goal posts to get me to agree with that, as my interest here has always been about the use and meaning of the term countersteering, not in a generic discussion about how bikes steer, particularly not in a single, arbitrarily defined condition.

Judging from your persistent engagement with my posts, it's clear you were "overly distracted," too.
Old 09-01-23, 04:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I see this is a poll ... are we to understand that "How a bicycle steers" will be decided by this thread? How exciting!
Old 09-01-23, 06:10 AM
PeteHski

No need to move the goal posts to get me to agree with that, as my interest here has always been about the use and meaning of the term countersteering, not in a generic discussion about how bikes steer, particularly not in a single, arbitrarily defined condition.

Judging from your persistent engagement with my posts, it's clear you were "overly distracted," too.
Sorry if I thought this was a discussion about how bicycles steer. For you it’s obviously all about the word “countersteer”.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.