Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS worth $95?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 11:43 PM
Azriel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Old 11-17-23, 07:03 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 392 Posts
It’s a decent enough bike. Fork/suspension may be shot. What kind of riding are you looking to do?
Old 11-17-23, 01:51 PM
Azriel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mainly just commuting
Old 11-17-23, 02:10 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
If everything works good including the fork $95 is a fair price it should make a OK basic commuter. For commuting you would likely be better off with a hard frame MTB no suspension that you could more easily mount a rack and fenders on if you want.
Old 11-17-23, 02:17 PM
Azriel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I could just replace the suspension with a rigid fork right?
Old 11-17-23, 02:43 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Azriel
I could just replace the suspension with a rigid fork right?
You could, but it's simpler and most likely cheaper to wait for the bike that suits your needs. Don't know where you are, it's a buyer's market in most places.
Old 11-17-23, 09:47 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
"Worth" is a very squishy concept. For starters you are asking in a classics bike forums to a bunch of snobs (myself proudly included). To us the word "worth" and "vintage" are like Siamese twins jointed at the hip. If you look at "worth" from a functional perspective, you'll get a whole different answer.

So, you want an old bike to ride around? This would do. $95 won't get you anything at a bike shop but you would have to expect having to put some tender loving care into it. I would try to negotiate a lower price because as somebody already said it is a buyer's market. If I really wanted it I would offer $50 and be prepared to walk away if it doesn't pan out. How much you ride it would have a bigger determination on whether it was worth it to shed money for it.

If I had the time I would just wait because there is better stuff out there for $95 bucks. Would it ride better than this one? Probably not, we would have to go back to what "worth" means and that has to do with what you want out of the bike.
Likes For abdon:
Old 11-17-23, 11:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
The problem is the fork. Finding a repair grade rigid 26 inch fork ought to be as simple as going to a bike shop and ordering one. $100 and up. The harder but cheaper route is to stop by your local bike cooperative and see what they have available. Might get lucky at only a few dollars.

It's a crap shoot. I say at $95 it's worth the risk. The worst that'll happen is you'll decide to keep throwing money at it. For perspective ok but cheap-ish tires will set you back more than the cost of the whole bike...I mean, what is the cost of a nice dinner for two? Exactly. And you get to keep the bike!

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-19-23, 08:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I think it's an OK deal at $95 but I'm not sure I'd buy it as a commuter. Between the 26" wheels and the hyperdrive smaller rings that's a l;ot of pedaling on a commuter.

I'd look for a similar quality, CHroMo frame and fork and STX derailleurs or better, hybrid. You might still get a hyperdrive type crankset but at least the larger wheels will get you further for the same effort.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-20-23, 09:02 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
That’s a nice buy. There are probably still places out there to source some elastomers for that fork