Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I have absurdly bad luck with flat tires.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I have absurdly bad luck with flat tires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 06:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Really? Who'd you buy them from?
Tom Pidcock uses them, but unfortunately they don’t include his handling abilities. However, no flats in 2 seasons on these tyres (Conti GP5000S TR) with Muc-Off sealant.

For the OP - If you want a reasonably fast, grippy tyre that has good puncture resistance (highest score for a road tyre on BRR), then try Pirelli Cinturato Velo. You can run these with tubes or tubeless for even better flat protection. I run them tubeless on my winter bike. No flats or even evidence of sealed punctures.
Old 02-06-24, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
LOL. I worked in a gas station in HS, fixing flats was one of my duties. I've seen blunt and rounded things go through a tire. If it gets caught in the tread just right, it will continue to slowly pierce the tire until it goes through, usually it will cause a slow leak because it's then acting as a plug. The craziest ones were a spark plug and a spoon.
The threaded end went into the tire. It was snowing out. The dash warning light came on just as I was circling the 'hood looking for parking. Found a space, got out of the car and started checking the tires. Right rear was leaking slowly.

Back in October I developed a very slow leak in the left front. Had to put sir in it every couple of days. Finally took it to a tire place on a day off. There was a screw stuck straight in the tread.
Old 02-06-24, 09:10 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The threaded end went into the tire. It was snowing out. The dash warning light came on just as I was circling the 'hood looking for parking. Found a space, got out of the car and started checking the tires. Right rear was leaking slowly.

Back in October I developed a very slow leak in the left front. Had to put sir in it every couple of days. Finally took it to a tire place on a day off. There was a screw stuck straight in the tread.
Oh yeah, screw, bolts, nails, and metal chunks of all types along with rocks and glass, were the usual thing. In NYC, you want a place with a sign that reads FLAT FIX, if it's just a piece of plywood with spraypainted letters, even better, and if the guy is Dominican, that's the trifecta...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-06-24, 12:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Sure, flats are annoying, but there's always a bigger fish. Your tire got you home and then when flat? That's absurdly good luck.
After long, hard experience, I've always carried two tubes on every ride. But a few years ago, I got three flats on one 60-mile road ride. (And yes, I've also learned from long, hard experience to carefully check the inside of the tire casing to ensure the piercing contaminant had been removed.)
Used up both my tubes and was walking 8-miles home in my thin cycling socks when a kindly fire-chief (shout out to the Elfin Forest FD in CA) and his wife picked me up and drove me home. Wouldn't let me pay for their gas or trouble.
Flats are part of the game. Thankfully cellphones and Uber are now also part of the game.

Edit: Absurdly bad luck is when you flat on a shoulderless, high-speed road on a hot day; standing sweatily in the dirt and rocks in your ridiculous plastic shoes with cars whizzing by while spooning the tire off the rim with sweat constantly getting in your eyes. Had that happen a few times. Made me question my choice of sport.
I carry 2 tubes and a patch kit.....and a pump

A hot sweaty experience like you talked about pushed me to adding a co2 kit to the mix....

and as to slow flats in general I always check that the valve is fully tight....which is not always the the case from the factory

Old 02-07-24, 11:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Thanks for this. I've been wondering about it. But I do have a question with regard to the plugs. From what I've seen, they appear to be very similar to automotive tire plug kits, even down to the size. Is that the case? If so, do you not compromise the tire by using such a large plug in such a thin shell?
check out the one i linked, the metal insertion tip is maybe 3/16" diameter max, and the rubbery plug part is much smaller. they're made for road bike tires. there are other ones made for MTB tires, etc. it's really insanely easy to jam it in the hole, pull the insertion tool out, inflate, ride.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 02-08-24, 05:52 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Choices, choices:
1. Ride with Vegas Jen because, if I get a flat, she can change it for me in a flash since she has had so much practice.
2. Don't ride with Vegas Jen, because I'm likely to get a flat.
3. Ride with Vegas Jen, because her flat karma will gobble up all of the flats out there and I'll never get one.
4. Don't ride with Vegas Jen, because I'll be waiting by the side of the road a couple of times every ride while she changes a flat.
5. Ride with Vegas Jen, and leave her to the Gila monsters and horned toads when she, inevitably, gets a flat.
6. ... (I could go on, this is kind of fun.)
Old 02-08-24, 09:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Choices, choices:
1. Ride with Vegas Jen because, if I get a flat, she can change it for me in a flash since she has had so much practice.
3. Ride with Vegas Jen, because her flat karma will gobble up all of the flats out there and I'll never get one.
4. Don't ride with Vegas Jen, because I'll be waiting by the side of the road a couple of times every ride while she changes a flat.
5. Ride with Vegas Jen, and leave her to the Gila monsters and horned toads when she, inevitably, gets a flat.
I like #3, especially if you edit it to "Draft Vegas Jen" -- not only will she have all the rotten luck, but she'll clean the road in front of me, too!
Old 02-08-24, 04:52 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Choices, choices:
Oh dear God! All so true.
Old 02-09-24, 01:59 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I had one flat with my road bike. An arrowhead piece of gravel through the rear tire. Bought a new set of tires and tubeless tape the same day and haven't flatted since. The new tires do have those telltale white spots, which imply I would have flatted a whole lot more without sealant.

I know sealant in tubes has been discussed as well but it's not nearly as effective. Part of the reason why sealant works better with sole tubeless is because instead of plugging a thin section of tightly stretched butyl or latex, the sealant needs to plug a hole that goes through the carcass and tread. A hole in a tubeless tire is going to be more rigid, deeper and have more surface area for the sealant to act against than with a hole in just a tube.
Old 02-09-24, 08:11 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
sealant works well in tubes

I’ve been using it on motorcycle tires since the 1970’s
Old 02-09-24, 09:49 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I'm kinda unlucky that way too, I guess. So many flats. Post tubeless conversion I have fewer overall flats but just as many catastrophic events.

At Paris Brest Paris 2023, my front tire grew a bulge and popped a few k outside Villainess. Brand new Goodyear tubeless; I think I cut it on a manhole cover in the city, and it took a while to totally fail. The safety motorcycle came along and stopped to see if I wanted to abandon. When I told him no I need a tire, he said bon chance and rode away
Old 02-11-24, 10:29 PM
VegasJen

Tubeless: 2, goathead: 0

Picked up a 2015 Shiv yesterday. This morning, I swapped over my Reynolds AR80 tubeless wheels and gave it a quick tune, then I took it out on a 36 mile training ride. Stopped at a red light at about mile 16, look down and there it was, a class A goathead thorn. First thought in my head, "you sorry mother ******!!!". Next though was "these tubeless casings are a lot thicker, maybe it's not all the way through." So reach down and pull the thorn out. It was in pretty good, but when I pulled it out I saw a small dot of this orangy-white goop and a couple small bubbles, then nothing. Well, might as well test it out for real so I kept on. 20 miles later, I get home, still have air in the front tire. I unlock my gate and as I'm taking the bike to the garage, I look down and guess what? ANOTHER goat head thorn. I actually think I picked this one up after I dismounted because it was barely in there, but it was in enough that I certainly would have been worried about a tubed tire.

So far, so good.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-11-24, 11:36 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Tubeless: 2, goathead: 0

Picked up a 2015 Shiv yesterday. This morning, I swapped over my Reynolds AR80 tubeless wheels and gave it a quick tune, then I took it out on a 36 mile training ride. Stopped at a red light at about mile 16, look down and there it was, a class A goathead thorn. First thought in my head, "you sorry mother ******!!!". Next though was "these tubeless casings are a lot thicker, maybe it's not all the way through." So reach down and pull the thorn out. It was in pretty good, but when I pulled it out I saw a small dot of this orangy-white goop and a couple small bubbles, then nothing. Well, might as well test it out for real so I kept on. 20 miles later, I get home, still have air in the front tire. I unlock my gate and as I'm taking the bike to the garage, I look down and guess what? ANOTHER goat head thorn. I actually think I picked this one up after I dismounted because it was barely in there, but it was in enough that I certainly would have been worried about a tubed tire.

So far, so good.
Consider leaving the thorn in the tire until you are at your destination.
(unless it's affecting the ride)
If you pull the thorn and the sealant doesn't work, best option is to be at a place where maintenance is easiest.

[same goes for being stabbed]
Old 02-11-24, 11:43 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Consider leaving the thorn in the tire until you are at your destination.
(unless it's affecting the ride)
If you pull the thorn and the sealant doesn't work, best option is to be at a place where maintenance is easiest.

[same goes for being stabbed]
I did think about it but given how shallow it looked, I was kind of hoping I had just picked it up right there at the stop and it hadn't actually penetrated the casing. I was mistaken, but it worked as it was supposed to and the tire is still holding air just fine.