Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cougar attack 2/17/24 Washington state

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 09:23 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,499 Posts

FYI; https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...D=ansmsnnews11
Old 02-19-24, 11:34 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
“One biker (reportedly a 60-year-old female) received either claw or bite injuries from one of the cats during this incident,” the statement continued. “The injured woman was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.”
So a cougar attacked a cougar? Something has to be done about this cougar-on-cougar violence.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 02-19-24, 11:45 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I'm always teaching my kids to look out for cars, police cars, army convoys, coyotes, unicycles, school busses, missile launchers, kids on roller skates, ice cream trucks, Amazon trucks, tree guys, deer, joggers, firetrucks, oil tankers, golf carts, etc.

I guess I'll have to add cougars.

Seriously, those people did a fantastic job of surviving the encounter. I wouldn't think you could typically outrun one on the bike - you have to fight. The bikers worked together. The cougars didn't.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-19-24, 04:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
The one that was killed was a subadult. I’m betting it saw them as easy prey.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-19-24, 09:52 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
It was nice that they worked together instead of running away like the two computer jockeys that left a girl to fend for herself. A few years ago in California north of me Two men and a woman were mountain biking when a mountain lion pulled the woman down a ravine. The two men ran or as would have it, pedaled to safety while she was being attacked. I believe two other girls beat the mountain lion back with there bicycles. I heard the girl was airlifted to a hospital for treatment. The authorities hunted the animal down and found it only weighed around 60lbs. This was an adult animal who obviously attacked due to desperation. Beware of hungry lions!

Last edited by Rick; 02-19-24 at 10:02 PM.
Likes For Rick:
Old 02-20-24, 11:51 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I was thinking of a different kind of cougar. The ones I just saw in Ft. Lauderdale were particularly intimidating.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-20-24, 11:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
This was in the same location as the 2018 mountain lion fatal attack on mountain bikers.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-21-24, 01:39 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
Throw as far as you can…..

Old 02-21-24, 02:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've ridden that road, and I ride in other areas where mountain lions are present, and often solo. Chances are greater that I'll be killed by a car while en-route to the trailhead.

Most likely I'll die in a nursing home strapped in a bed while being fed some goop to keep me alive so they can maximize their profit while minimizing risk of liability. So will you. I mean I'm sure being killed by a cat is unpleasant, but I've seen the nursing home **** show in person, and we all should be terrified of that very likely prospect.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-24-24 at 08:19 AM. Reason: do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-22-24, 02:34 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
I bike in cougar country in the northern Siskyous and Marble Mts of California. I was always instructed by locals to be as aggressive, threatening, and armed if possible. They are some tough kitties! meow!
Old 02-22-24, 10:40 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Here is a link to my cycling friends GoFundMe page. Why not donate a couple o' bucks to help? https://www.gofundme.com/f/keris-ride-to-recovery

I'm sure she would appreciate it.

Keri is someone I know and have ridden many thousands of miles with. If ever this were to happen to someone, it would be her by sheer volume of miles ridden. She rides hundreds of miles per week, rain or shine, all weather and most of them in the gravel and forest roads. She is an unstoppable dynamo.

She was also in the middle of the pack. 2 riders ahead, 2 riders behind. So they were stalked and hunted. The attack itself lasted about 15 minutes and severed some nerves in her face. Not good.

Roughstuff plumberroy Breadfan Knock off the "personal protection" bull. A gun makes you feel better, it does not prevent Cougar attacks; Of which there have been only 20 in a hundred years. It's a ridiculous non-solution to a non-problem the odds of which are astronomicaly rare. Nor would it be practical as a means of defense when ambushed while actively riding a bicycle. The odds of Keri being shot by a well meaning (& somehow magically prepared bystander with ninja like reflexes) instead of the cougar is a much more likely outcome that I think nobody would prefer. As good as it feels to set yourself apart with "what about ism," the mechanics of a situation IRL just doesn't pencil out. Furthermore, gun discussion of any form is specifically forbidden by forum rules. Take discussion along those lines elsewhere.

Fwiw, The cougar was dealt with by person's present & pinned down under someone's bike until actual help arrived. The lesson here is: Ride with friends.

Last edited by base2; 02-22-24 at 11:27 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-23-24, 12:34 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Ah yes...when ya don't like a discussion item, ban it! Welcome to 1984!

And like I said, I use a buggy whip. Much easier, quicker, and delightfully painful.

Washington state sure is an amazing place to bike. The cascades have such a different flavor that far north than the Oregon/N. California cascades do. I guess i'd describe 'em as more ferocious looking, especially on the N. Cascades highway, where it is fun to just get lost in the endless scenery and climbs/descents. The folks who labeled the north CAscades as "America's Alps" sure hit it right on the button. I'm more "afeerd" of mooses than other wildlife. Already planning my sixth "north cascades" tour for summer 2024. Time to start tour planning...
Old 02-23-24, 01:19 PM
Rick

And like I said, I use a buggy whip. Much easier, quicker, and delightfully painful.

Washington state sure is an amazing place to bike. The cascades have such a different flavor that far north than the Oregon/N. California cascades do. I guess i'd describe 'em as more ferocious looking, especially on the N. Cascades highway, where it is fun to just get lost in the endless scenery and climbs/descents. The folks who labeled the north CAscades as "America's Alps" sure hit it right on the button. I'm more "afeerd" of mooses than other wildlife. Already planning my sixth "north cascades" tour for summer 2024. Time to start tour planning...]
I kept a riding crop velcroed to the top tube of my Tandem when I lived in Florida. It was necessary due to dogs taking chase on many occasions. I currently carry a 14oz can of bear spray and also keep my 11oz peg hammer in my handlebar pack. I don't worry about big kitties when I ride in the woods, not because they are seldom happening. Being male and not female or a small child, I am very unlikely to be there target. It is not a crime to be prepared and being prepared has saved me from death or injury in the past.
Old 02-23-24, 05:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
You might want to (re)-acquaint yourself with this forum’s rules. If you don’t like them, you don’t have to be here.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-23-24, 07:38 PM
Rick

You might want to (re)-acquaint yourself with this forum’s rules. If you don’t like them, you don’t have to be here.
​​​​​​​What does this Orwellian dogma have to do with the topic of this discussion.
Likes For Rick:
Old 02-23-24, 09:00 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Here is a link to my cycling friends GoFundMe page. Why not donate a couple o' bucks to help? https://www.gofundme.com/f/keris-ride-to-recovery

Keri is someone I know and have ridden many thousands of miles with. If ever this were to happen to someone, it would be her by sheer volume of miles ridden. She rides hundreds of miles per week, rain or shine, all weather and most of them in the gravel and forest roads. She is an unstoppable dynamo.

She was also in the middle of the pack. 2 riders ahead, 2 riders behind. So they were stalked and hunted. The attack itself lasted about 15 minutes and severed some nerves in her face. Not good.

Roughstuff plumberroy Breadfan Knock off the "personal protection" bull. A gun makes you feel better, it does not prevent Cougar attacks; Of which there have been only 20 in a hundred years. It's a ridiculous non-solution to a non-problem the odds of which are astronomicaly rare. Nor would it be practical as a means of defense when ambushed while actively riding a bicycle. The odds of Keri being shot by a well meaning (& somehow magically prepared bystander with ninja like reflexes) instead of the cougar is a much more likely outcome that I think nobody would prefer. As good as it feels to set yourself apart with "what about ism," the mechanics of a situation IRL just doesn't pencil out. Furthermore, gun discussion of any form is specifically forbidden by forum rules. Take discussion along those lines elsewhere.

Fwiw, The cougar was dealt with by person's present & pinned down under someone's bike until actual help arrived. The lesson here is: Ride with friends.
I will see about donating to your friend I will be praying for her too. And yes cougar attack are rare . Feral dogs are way more of a problem. The people there fought back and she is alive so it's a win but if they were holding that cat down with a bicycle even a pocket knife would have took the fight out of it. I have carried for forty years the one time I had to draw I kept a lady from being assaulted so it was worth carrying. If you know the people who were with her tell them well done, we not agree on things but they got her out alive a lot of people would have run
Old 02-23-24, 09:15 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

I donated what I can right now . I have to watch my funds right now wife is having health issues and I am fixing to be off work for 3 months we will continue to pray for her recovery.
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 02-23-24, 09:51 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
If you know the people who were with her tell them well done, we not agree on things but they got her out alive a lot of people would have run
We don't disagree. There are just other places to discuss. The moderators here have zero tolerance on this issue in particular...and to be fair, it's their house, it's their rules. Internet Brands also owns huntingnet.com so it's nothing prejudicial or anything they just want to keep a sense of decorum.

...And Thanks for donating to my friend. I'll pass along the good word.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-23-24, 10:36 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by base2
We don't disagree. There are just other places to discuss. The moderators here have zero tolerance on this issue in particul

ar...and to be fair, it's their house, it's their rules. Internet Brands also owns huntingnet.com so it's nothing prejudicial or anything they just want to keep a sense of decorum.

...And Thanks for donating to my friend. I'll pass along the good word.
​​​​​​no problem like I said we will keep her in prayer
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 02-24-24, 05:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by plumberroy
I've dealt with black bear key is seeing them before they get to close
IKR

Old 02-24-24, 08:27 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
What does this Orwellian dogma have to do with the topic of this discussion.
It has to do with the fact Bike Forums rules forbid gun talk and you agreed to obey the Forum Rules when you joined up.

Bike Forums - FAQ: Board FAQ

Guidelines and Rules or Site Operation: All Members Read, Please
*******Guidelines/Rules of Operation reference Guide Thread for Staff and MembersBasic Guidelines

The following seven categories of online conduct are unacceptable at BikeForums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harassment

Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, avatars and signatures.
Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. Respect the forum staff. We're not here to make life harder to anyone. Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected.

Disruption

Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news. Disruption can include harassment, multiple user profiles, multiple posting of the same post and posting completely off topic messages. Please do your best when it comes to grammar, punctuation and spelling. Excessive use of "AOL'ese" and "hAx0r" talk can be very disruptive so please keep it to a minimum. Private messages are to be kept private and never posted in the forums. Additionally, since we are a bicycle forum, primarily, and not a political forum, don't use political signatures or avatars, due to their controversy effect. Also, gun discussion and illegal personal drug use are not allowed in the open public forum.

Vulgarity

As a community with a diverse variety of members and readers, we ask that our members to post without using vulgarity. Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious, images of graphic violence, political statements and homophobic language which may offend other members. In addition, the "masking" of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases. It will also be impermissible to anagramize a word to bypass the filters. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, PMs, avatars and signatures.

Solicitation

Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale. If you are a Premium Member (Titanium or Red Star), you may attach a short link to your own blog or personal site within your profile or signature to your market items in our marketplace forums here (private sales only, no ebay auctions or online storefronts), or to a noncommercial website that you specifically own. Free members are not allowed sig links for their sites.

Spamming

Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums. Spam is also flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services.

Copyrighted Material

You may post links to appropriate articles but posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Forum Guidelines. If you must repost quotes or sentences, please credit the source.

High Maintenance Clause

Any member who occupies a majority of admin or moderator time unnecessarily will be shown the door. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. Any private communications will remain private at all times, sharing PM's is not allowed unless all members involved are in agreement. Communications between Moderation or Administrative Staff and the members are always private, and no permission will ever be granted to share these messages in a public manner. Private Communications from other sites are also included in this proscription. In short, no communication where there was an expectation of privacy, regardless of source are to be posted on our forums. Usergroups are subject to the same guidelines as the main forums, and if these groups become a problem for the Administrators and Moderation staff, appropriate action, ranging from changes in the group founder to an outright disbanding of the offending group may be taken.

The Point System

This is a breakdown in the point system. Warning: no points Infraction: Varying points from 1-5 Standard infraction: 1 point Serious Infraction: 1-3 points Spamming: 5 points 3 points leads to an automatic 7-day ban, or longer at Admin discretion if the issue gets repeated. 5 points leads to a permanent ban.

General Principles

We expect that all members of BikeForums will behave in a way that’s conducive to the diversity, intelligence and respectfulness of the community. Each of these three general principles is fundamental to the quality of our site.

Diversity

We’re a community of cyclists, from different backgrounds and with different perspectives on sports and life. At all times, we expect our members to respect that.

Intelligence

We’re a community with quality standards and expect our members will make a sincere effort to contribute their thoughts on interesting subjects in a meaningful and respectful manner. Posting messages and otherwise interacting on BikeForums is completely optional; many members often prefer to just read what others have to say. But if you do post, we expect that you’ll be respectful of the time of others by posting meaningfully.

Respectfulness

We expect our member to show respect for others. Respecting their person, their views, their time and their opinions, and their belief systems ... even if you disagree with them.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-24-24, 01:08 PM
Rick

It has to do with the fact Bike Forums rules forbid gun talk and you agreed to obey the Forum Rules when you joined up.
Did you have a bad day and miss what happened. I have not broken the forum rules.
Old 02-24-24, 01:53 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Did you have a bad day and miss what happened. I have not broken the forum rules.
Poking the moderator bear?

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him."
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 02-25-24, 07:14 PM
cleverbeefalo

Bikes: Panasonic DX 3000

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
He answered your question using a rhetorical you (2nd person POV). There was no accusation, Mr. Smarty Pants. Why you playing victim?
Likes For cleverbeefalo:
Old 03-03-24, 06:50 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,499 Posts
[QUOTE=base2;23164785]Here is a link to my cycling friends GoFundMe page. Why not donate a couple o' bucks to help? https://www.gofundme.com/f/keris-ride-to-recovery

thanks for the heads up & the gofundme link,she looks like a fighter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.